a sad (closing)/happy (shopping) day

bookmarm

Our beloved Mini store is closing, so I visited today to do my visa-best to help unload their stock. Love those guys! Wish there was something we could do to keep the business afloat. As soon to be 'small business' owners, this is especially sad forJim and me to watch. They are both talented and smart, so I think they will be okay in the next endeavors, but I understand how hard it is to give in rather than watch your life savings disappear. The up side is that I bought a new house,the RGT Lincoln Springfield kit for 40% off.Also scooped (for the same discount) several nice bespaq pieces...dining room table and four chairs, 1/2 scale wooten desk [further discounted for small damaged hinge to $30], a lovely dressing mirror and a delicate fern stand, also a Hansen revolving bookcase table. Picked up lots of small things, mouldings, wallpapers,and tools.

Since they still have lots of dollhouses (mostly RGT), we've offered a place in our new business for them to sell a few, esp at Christmas. Our clientele are mainly grandparently-types, so this might work well.

Good for you getting so much so cheap? So if you can include doll houses in your business, could you include other minis? That way there would still be somewhere to purchase them, off yourself!

ours is a very small shop, so...no, it probably can't be more than one or two finished houses or kits set aside. Even with vast reduction of our (antique and modern sterling silver) stock, this is a tiny space. Still, I think it would add an unusual dimension/compliment to help two growing businesses. Willing to give it a try.

They have a finished Lincoln in the store on sale for 450. It's been painted with the historical colors, and is gorgeous! The inside was left unfinished. I'd already phoned Charles about that one, but then I spotted the kit for 200. I love to build them myself, so that's the one I grabbed. All their finished houses are 50% off,everything else is 40 at the moment. The sale will be going on for a few weeks.

I think the up side is that Errol will continue to build custom houses on the side. They are staying here, so we won't lose touch. They've been so generous to let the mini club meeting in the store workroom this past year.