Hello :)

Adorabelle

Hello everyone,

I'm from Canada and the U.S.A. (live in Canada). I'm 24, and have been working on my first dollhouse (the Fairfield) since July of last year. For years I've arranged my twin's house (largely against her will :D ), but finally decided I need my own. I've signed up because I need shingling advice. My package came without instructions. My house just needs shingles and a kitchen floor (cannot find a suitable one), to be complete. I'm furnishing it with Mattel's "Littles" line of die cast furniture from the '70s. The Littles family is very excited about moving in. :lol:

A.

First off just wanted to welcome you to the forums! I love the farfield! i cannot wait to see pics of your creation! I'm sure you will find plenty of help on your shingling issues. Everyone here is very helpful and just plan wonderful! :lol:

Welcome Adorabelle! You gotta change your flag to the US/Canada flag! I'm a Canadian living in the States! Which part of Canada are you in? I'm originally from Edmonton, Alberta. :lol:

For the flooring, have you checked out miniatures.com (HBS)? They have a very good selection of flooring. You could also make your own flooring with popsicle sticks (for a wood floor) and then stain them or upholstery fabric for carpeting.

You can also get shingles at miniatures. com. As far as shingling goes, start at the bottom and measure up at intervals to create course lines. Then just start in one corner and work your way across . . . go back to the beginning and go across again until your finished. Make sure you offset each shingle course so that you don't get "lines" going up the roof. Then top it off with a ridge cap! Presto! One shingled roof!

Good Luck! Hope you'll be sharing pictures with us soon!! :D

Welcome Adorabelle, I to am a twin but I'm the one that has the dollhouse, I'm keeping my Christmas decorations up until she can come to visit to see it (I'm in GA and she is in NC).

For some of my floors I use real wallpaper samples, some dollhouse carpet and flooring that I got from minatures.com and Hobby Lobby.

I painted the shingles on my Lily because I got to much glue on them while applying them that the stain didn't take very well. So lesson learned stain shingles first, I used regular stain from Home Depot for my porch though and didn't have any problems.

Peggi

Welcome to the forum, A, I stain my shingles on the sheets, before shingling, but if they're loose I posted elsewhere in the forum a method for staining them using two disposable aluminum baking/ roasting pans. Also check the building blogs.