Beginner questions

karusche

I am planning to build a house for my grand daughter. I am looking at the Beacon Hill Model. Can some one tell me if the name refers to the style or what. The houses I see pictured on Beacon Hill in Boston do no resemble this one. Is it from a Beacon Hill in another place. Also which one of the following books would someone reccommend. Doll House Builders Handbook #2, or Everything You Wanted To Know About Doll Houses. Where would I be able to find research material for this model of house concerning the interior furnishings. Thanks for any help I can get.

I don't know much about the Beacon hill so I will leave that question to be answered by someone else with more knowledge. as far as reference materials check out this thread:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...showtopic=13221

And welcome to the Forums feel free to ask questions and look through the members galleries I know several have completed the Beacon Hill.

That kit is reminiscent of the Victorian "Painted Ladies" on San Francisco's Beacon Hill. If you want to make it "period" you can furnish & decorate it for oil lamps, gaslights or electricity.

The Beacon Hill is a 'second empire' style 1850 to around 1870, named for the period when Napolean III, the other Bonaparte, ruled France. Whilst in the Victorian period, the interior style was typically often French influenced, or Georgian. There was no typical 'second empire' interior design. The owners just borrowed from the past whatever took their fancy. However, the typically heavy over-crowded dark Victorian interior was not part of this style.

I believe the name "Beacon Hill" just refers to the various cities on the east coast named as such. The Second Empire style of house was very popular in the North East back in the day.