S&H Green Stamps

KathieB

Do you remember the little books of stamps that we collected with great fervor in the 50s and 60s? I can remember pasting and pasting the strips into the little booklets. We'd have Sunday night pasting parties. It was sometimes a challenge to pull apart strips that glued themselves together after getting damp in a grocery bag. :) I remember going to a redemption center with a whole bag of books to claim a prize, some kind of household item, but I can't remember what it was. Most of the items were things that you find at yard sales nowadays.

The program began in 1896. At its peak, after WW II, S&H distributed 3 times more stamps than the US Postal Service. They printed enough catalogs to circle the globe one and a half times. Sperry and Hutchison was the single largest publisher in the United States and the largest purchaser of consumer goods in the world. It was estimated that 80% of households collected the stamps.

The little stamps faded away in the 70s, but apparently they have been reincarnated as Greenpoints and are collected via an electronic card that is swiped by participating merchants, primarily on the east coast, and are redeemed online through http://www.greenpoints.com

More on S&H at http://www.shsolutions.com/press_pdf/sh_everything2_0406.pdf

I hit the jackpot when I moved my refrigerator in the early 70's. The previous tenant had left a pile of Green Stamps books behind when they moved out. I rushed out and got something before it all ended.

My mother got a sewing machine with hers back in the 60's.

My mother always saved the stamps in a small brown bag...and periodically, when the bag was stuffed, she gave them to me, along with some empty books, and I filled them! Then, the next weekend, we made the 32 mile trip to the S&H Green Stamp store. I remember going in and the entire store had shelves along three sides, displaying things you could get, and how many books of stamps you needed to get them. My parents would look over the merchandise before they decided on what they wanted. I can't remember any particular item they got, but just that it was exciting. Like you won something!

The cards sound interesting...but I still prefer the green stamps!

About 15 years ago one of our grocery stores did something similar with dinnerware. I'd find some elderly person in line with me that was saving them to give mine to.

When I went off to university DM hauled me to the Top Value Stamp Store (the golden-yellow colored stamps) to get me a blanket for my bed.

I remember them! I was a kid and our parents would take us to the place you turned them in and they would find an item in exchange for whatever amount they had enough stamps for. it was cool. i can still picture the place that we went to......

I got so many things with Green Stamps when I first got married back in the 50's. Now they have just continued the Betty Crocker coupons. I must have had close to 2000 and now they are worthless. Those kind of things are fun because it's like getting things for free.

I remember the way the green dye would turn my fingers green when I'd fill the books. Going to the redemtion store was always fun. The one I remember most was a mantle clock my parents had for years. My mother saved a long time for that one.

Deb

I haven't thrown out my Betty Crocker coupons yet, I guess I should. At least I was able to get our oldest son & ourselves silverware chests, I was saving to get another one for the second son (sigh)... Of course, I just stopped cutting out the Purina Dog Chow weight circles last year! I still clip recipes off of packages & labels, though!

We too got so many things for the house! Brand name items too! Those were wonderful! Then there were plaid stamps, Gold stamps - but all went away. Glad to see they "may" be coming back - in another form maybe - but something coming back!