Suggestions Please

post-2122-1205866788_thumb.jpgThink it's too bright? I like the yellow trim. Maybe a grey-blue or a green for the house? What can I do to spiff it up? I didn't do the porch cuz I bought it on ebay and it had been opened, some of the shingles appeared to be missing. I'd rather not have the porch anyway. Please give me some suggestions on house color and front porch, any other ideas. I think I'd like to landscape also. Thanks!

Minis Over The Hill :p

That is such a cute little house! Have you thought about brick or stone? Since your not adding the porch, I think stone work would look really nice. I have got to do a house myself with either the stone or brick, I have been talking about it so much lately! LOL :p

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I will look for a blue-grey or slate color. Can you tell me how to do a paperclay stone porch? That way, I can pick up some of the blue or grey colors in the stone. I just passed a house today that was fieldstone and it had some blue stone in it, maybe slate. I have some paperclay but have never used it. Do you use a credit card to score the stones, and use watercolors? Please tell me more if you can take the time. I really appreciate your comments. Thanks!

Minis Over The Hill :p

Tracy has (had?) a very nice little tutorial on making a paperclay fireplace that you can adapt for your stone porch.

<Quick course: Basically, you roll your paperclay to the thickness you want (about 1/8") then cover the porch base with white glue, put the paperclay on it, pounce it with a stiff paint brush (for texture and adherence) then cut your stones (yes, a credit card will work, but you might want the grouting wider than that will create so maybe two or three cards together?). I paint the paperclay while it's wet lots of times, but usually you let it dry and then add your color.>

BTW -- cute house!

Joane, a down & dirty quick-fix for toning down that blue is to put some water in the bottom of a jar and add a couple of drops of white paint to it (or gray) and stir it really well to make a paint wash, and paint that over the blue and let it dry and see how you like it.

The Laurel I rehabbed didn't have a porch and while I dislike a bay window on a porch (can't think of any earthly reason to do it that way!), once the house was "done" it really needed a porch! So I bashed one (my album "rehabbing the Laurel" has the how-to & pictures).

Thank you for the paint wash idea which I just saw. I got new paint earlier, a llight grey-blue and did it over but it didn't look good, so I mixed the two colors and painted again. It looks a bit more toned down, but still along the same idea. One of the reasons I don't want to do the porch roof is I think it's easier to sit on the porch without any railing in front of you. If you have a friend over and you're drinking a wee too much and you fall off, it's not a high fall. You just stumble right back on your porch and drink some more of that good stuff.

Minis Over The Hill

Thank you for the paint wash idea which I just saw. I got new paint earlier, a llight grey-blue and did it over but it didn't look good, so I mixed the two colors and painted again. It looks a bit more toned down, but still along the same idea. One of the reasons I don't want to do the porch roof is I think it's easier to sit on the porch without any railing in front of you. If you have a friend over and you're drinking a wee too much and you fall off, it's not a high fall. You just stumble right back on your porch and drink some more of that good stuff.

Minis Over The Hill

Too darn funny! Do you have pictures yet of the coat of paint? as you saw in my other post I am installing the porch on mine but the way things are going I should perhaps just follow your advice and leave it off!

He is not drunk

who, from the floor,

has strength to rise

and drink one more;

but drunk is he

who prostrate lies

with strength to neither

drink, nor rise.

:rofl::banana::D I'm saving that!

a down & dirty quick-fix for toning down that blue is to put some water in the bottom of a jar and add a couple of drops of white paint to it (or gray) and stir it really well to make a paint wash,

Holly,

I tried the paint wash but it was all streaky, maybe because it was satin finish paint. Anyway, it sounds like a good fix but it didn't work for me.

Joane

I'm sorry, Joane. I used that method to tone down loud shingled roofs and loud sandpaper bricks, so may have absorbed differently for that reason. Wiping it while it's still damp to blend it better might help the streaking, but don't know if the color would stay toned down.