3/16/08 Adventurous eaters?

I LIKE to think I'm an adventurous eater...but I draw the line at french-fried insects on a stick!! Or insects of any kind!!

Organs, tongues and brains are out as well. Other than that, I do pretty well.

Kimchee (I hope I spelled that right) is delicious. Pickled pigs feet are actually quite good. I always loved to make pickled beet eggs. When the kids were little, we grew a large assortment of veggies, including beets. I pickled and canned the beets and when we ate a jar, the juice was poured into a larger jar in the refrigerator. When it got half full, I hardboiled a couple of dozen eggs, peeled them, and put them in the jar. After a few weeks, they are delicious!!

Living where we do, I've eaten my share of wildlife. Deer meat I can handle and is good if it's cooked right. Rabbit has the consistency of chicken and can be very good; and it can be made into so many different dishes. Duck and goose...not bad, but I HATE cleaning them. Same with other small fowl. Muskrat dinners are very popular around here...however, I cannot bring myself to eat what is essentially a rodent!! They smell delicious, though, when cooking.

I have always eaten lots of seafood and shellfish...Maryland Blue crabs, shrimp, scallops, rockfish, catfish, etc. Those have always been a staple of meals here.

Unfortunately, my mother was the worlds WORST cook! To her, spices consisted of salt and pepper, meat was cooked to the consistency of a piece of leather, vegetables were cooked to mush, and eggs came out so rubbery they could have bounced! The only meal she could not mess up was Friday nights offering of canned tomato soup and tuna salad sandwiches. As a child I hated pork chops...it was a major chore to cut them up. You had to saw and saw at them with a sharp knife to get them cut, then chew them a couple of minutes so they could be swallowed. All meat was over cooked...to the point where it was almost inedible. We had the same meals on the same weeknights for 18 years....except for an Easter ham and Christmas turkey.

Lucikly, it made me actually WANT to learn to cook well, and to cook a variety of foods. When I married and left home, eating was an adventure. I still love to try new things....

Except insects!

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that I am a fairly picky eater. I don't like the smell or taste of fish or seafood. However, when I was in Portland for a conference, I ate a wonderful piece of fresh salmon at the gala dinner at the zoo. Don't care for deer or moose or hare, but it may have been the way it was cooked. And, if you tell me what it is, I will probably not eat it.

I grew up eating beef and chicken, so that is what I know. Turkey three times a year to the point that I no longer like it. I do like liver and onions, though. My grandmother apparently boiled everything to death, so my mother went the reverse and left her vegetables more on the crisper side once cooked. With 5 kids, living in a big city, and not much money, beef and chicken were it.

My husband is more adventurous in his tastes than I am, as are all 3 of my kids to varying degrees. But, then, my husband lived in 3 different countries during his childhood, so he was more accustomed to trying new things.

I am not an adventerous eater at all. I agree if you eat out I want something I know I will eat if I am going to pay the price so no trying anything new there. I have eaten rattlesnake and everyone says it tastes like chicken. I suppose it is kind of like chicken but it is very stringy. Not something I would go to that much trouble to fix a meal of. I think I have tried all of the foods I was interested in trying, oysters, good only if fried, fresh cold salmon, not bad, I was surprised. All kinds of mexican foods including menudo with tripe. Other things I have no interest in trying like pickled pigs feet. Why would I want to eat a pigs foot! Yuck! Or an animals brain for that matter. Sorry! Just my opinion. If I was going to try something new it would be some kind of a dessert like maybe baked alaska.

Julie

I am absolutely the pickiest eater you will ever meet. My rule of thumb is (well, OK, a couple of them) if I recognize it, I don't eat it (pertains to meat). If it has eyes and looks back at me, I don't eat it (pertains to anything). And if it smells bad, I don't eat it (pertains to everything). I can't even stand to drink milk because it smells so bad and has such a horrible taste to me. I am strictly meat and potatoes with some basic pizza, Americanized Chinese, Italian and Mexican food here - I'd starve in a foreign country!

Someone mentioned those eggs they bury - did anyone watch when Josh tried to eat one on Destination: Truth? I think he was vomiting on camera. :dog:

I love Kimchi. I first tried it in Korea on a business trip but it is available at my small town (village) supermarket. I love trying new foods. Dd (Blythe) is now attending the CIA and is bringing back tonnes of "product knowledge" so she is encouraging us to try new things. On Friday she had the opportunity to try 14 different kinds of caviar!

I don't like oysters though and Blythe passed out last week just touching one - she was rushed to the local hospital though as it is possible she is allergic to the proteins that get released when you prepare them (apparently not uncommon).

I think most of all I'd like to travel to India to try real authentic Indian dishes.

Lisa R.

I have always been a VERY picky eater - but I was raised on a wide variety of foods, so my tastes range a fair amount. I love Indian (my favourite) and authentic Chinese, Japanese, etc. I'm English, so I enjoy many of the British foods - but don't give me any kind of fish! I did eat red salmon and other foods that I didn't much like when I was pregnant, because I wanted my babies to have lots of healthy, balanced nutrition. I will eat sardines and watercress sandwiches "in a pinch" - and once in the blue moon I'll have fish and chips. Any other seafood is a big no-no. I once ate horsemeat without knowing it. A friend served it, and it was very tasty - but I was upset with her after I found out what it was. We went to Europe when I was a teenager and tried a lot of different things there - wild boar in Germany, which I recall was lean and quite nice, and truffles in France. Sumptous things! (The fungal kind, not the chocolate ones - although they're delicious too!) Had goat in Portugal, because of a language mixup. It was quite good - but I wouldn't have ordered it if I'd known what it was! I generally prefer a vegetarian cuisine, but will eat eggs, chicken and occasionally other meats. (Being lactose intolerant also limits my choices. Thankfully, goat cheese and Swiss cheese don't have lactose. I adore cheeses!) My DH is much more adventurous (for instance, he adores all kinds of sushi) - our children are sort of in-between.

For a while the grocery stores carried goat meat and it's lovely curried! although most of our neighbors who raise them barbecue them (also very yummy!) Generally if something still has the head on (I got a whole baked snapper once) I'll cover it with a corner of the napkin; crabs' eyes don't bother me, though; once they're coked they no longer look quite like eyes.

My older brother (and Mum and Dad) will eat curried goat. I'll eat most curries - but not goat. If I could be sure of getting enough nutrition, I'd go all vegetarian. I don't think my body can manage an all veggie diet - but I certainly push the limits when possible.

If there was a face - or any part of a face - on my plate, my meal would be over!

We came to Canada by ship. Picky eater that I am, I didn't want the steak that was served one dinnertime. The waiter (who spoke little English) brought me a plateful of something that looked suspiciously like mashed fish, skin and all. I asked what it was, and all he could say was, "S'nice, s'very nice." I asked repeatedly - yes, when faced with a dubious meal, at ten years old, shy as I am, I refused to eat until he finally got another waiter who spoke English. It turned out that the "s'very nice" dish he was pushing on me was scrambled calf's brain! A delicacy to many - a disgusting mess to me! My older brother ate it happily, and pronounced it a creamy delight. He asked for seconds.

I'm a middling adventuress when it comes to trying new things - whether it be new food, music, books, movies, etc.

I like weird foods, and I get tired of stuff if I eat it too much. I'm always wondering what things will taste like together and am constantly altering recipes or making up my own.

If I knew it was organs (includind brain) or other undesirable body parts, I wouldn't eat it.

I love seaweed, though - there's a Korean soup w/ seaweed that is SO tasty and of course, with sushi...and I like squid (in rings like onion rings are actually quite nice), but I like southern food too...my favorite foods are simple, though. My new favorite is Jasmine rice.

if I had to eat the same things all the time I'd want European bread and cheeses, fruits, and raw veggies. YUM!

I'm a pretty adventurous eater compared to most here. I grew up in a hunting family where you eat what you kill. I recall from an early age the taste of frog legs, deer meat, javelina, rattlesnake, rabbit, all types of fowl, alligator and all sorts of other fun animals.

My favorite restaurants are typically asian food places, the sushi place I go to is run by Koreans and the non-sushi menu is very Korean. I have tried kimchee, but it's not my favorite thing. I tend to prefer Thai food if it's not sushi.

I've had tripe, brains, eyes and probably other organs I can't recall at the moment. For the most part I'd eat them again. Actually I do eat tripe pretty often, talk about a great breakfast taco!

In the non-animal world I really like nopalitos (cactus) with eggs and hot sauce.

I don't think I'd be down for chowing on bugs unless I was really hungry or there was LOTS of chocolate involved.

I don't think this can be considered adventurous - but when I was pregnant, I discovered that green grapes dipped in horseradish was a most delicious dish!

(I've tried this "recipe" since, and believe me, only a pregnant person would appreciate it - and probably not many of them. :w00t: )

I am NOT an adventurous eater!! I love vegetables, only eat beef, chicken& turkey (the white meat) I do not like condiments other than salad dressing (only on my salad and not on other things) But I don't consider myself to be a picky eater because I have a friend who is and she eats like a child only pepperoni pizza, no vegetables, and if anything is different than the way she is used to she won't eat it. That gets annoying! She would not even try steak until she was an adult and now she only will eat a filet. She would rather eat at Taco Bell.How weird is that??

If I knew it was organs (includind brain) or other undesirable body parts, I wouldn't eat it.
That's why most adults don't tell kids what they're eating until they've scarfed it down and ask for more. My Grandma made wonderful kidney pies (I never learned her technique, so don't care for kidney any more) and beef tongue (ditto) and DH's grandmother used to scramble pork brains with eggs when he was small. I stuffed & baked a beef heart once when we were first married & poor, it was good, for poor starving newlyweds. I do cook and we both love liver (beef or chicken).

No bugs, thank you. Peeling shrimp is all the arthropod legs I care to have contact with on my dinner plate, thank you very much.

Hmmm, I wouldn't classify myself as an adventurous eater, but I am not unwilling to try new things to eat, though bugs aren't included in this LOL, I can easily exclude meat from the menu and love to cook and try new recepies (sp?) ... I am looking forward to vacations as that is the time when we can really try new things out... within boundaries that is...

Hugs

You oughta try frog legs, though! Very tasty and cooking them is an adventure in itself.
They are tasty, the one time I found some in the store to cook it was no big deal, I lightly breaded them & popped them in the pan. I prefer my frog's legs, shrimp, rabbit, etc, to come from the grocery store, though. One of our favorite restaurants offers them for an appetizer, but the last few times we ate there they were too expensive for my tastebuds.

Someone once told me they thought frog'g legs tasted like chicken!lolol To me they taste like frog's legs (that is, NOT like chicken, or anything else I've eaten before). Sort of like sea turtle & 'gator tail...

I wonder how you had it cooked. One of the nurses I worked with said one day when they were having a cookout a big rattler came into their yard. Her DH shot it, skinned it and threw it on the grill and she said "It tasted just like chicken" and I commented I would have expected it to taste more like frog's legs or 'gator!

I've only had it deep-fried, wasn't particularly impressed with the taste, but it wasn't rubbery. One of the nurses I worked with in Clinic told me her DH was cooking outside and shot a big rattler coming into their yard; he skinned it and threw it on the grill and she said, "It tasted like chicken" and I was surprised, I had expected it'd taste like frog's legs or 'gator. (I haven't eaten rattlesnake, that I know of)