Beacon Hill arrived...inventory

darkmoon

The Beacon Hill Kit arrived, and last night my partner and I took an inventory, as we were recommended to do by all you excellent advisers.

We found that both sheets #13 and #14 were not as depicted. :D They were very hard to identify because they came in several smaller sheets each, one numbered, the others not, and the individual pieces were placed in an entirely different layout.

Also a number of the pieces had come out of their sheets and were floating around loose just to add to the general confusion, and the total of certain smaller pieces appears to be a larger number than the diagram shows. Pretty confusing! :ph34r:

At least one sheet was duplicated~ a part of sheet #14, I think.

Then there was also a possible/probable extra sheet numbered 12A- :p not shown on the BH diagram which appears to be to a different house altogether. We couldn't recognize the parts! Kinda humorous!

We ran out of time after the initial check last night so tonight we'll try to determine if all the necessary parts to sheets #13 and #14 are present. We kinda have a general sensation that they are.

Otherwise all else was present and accounted for and the entire box arrived undamaged. And we are excited and only slightly daunted by my cheekiness in ordering this big huge thing! :)

Anyone else had this experience or have any good pointers?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep! I went through the same thing with my inventory! It all worked out and as soon as I started to build it, and pull pieces out it all started to make sense. I've flipped through those sheets of wood more times than I can count! That's one thing I do wish could be changed. I wish they'd put all the chimney pieces on one sheet, all the staircase pieces on one sheet. It'd make a lot more sense and it'd save me a lot of time! It has been kind of frustrating having to search through all the sheets to find all of the for whatever I'm working on.

Brooke

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

i'm a newbie here,and i just purchased this dollhouse. is this a problem that i should be worried about? any info, or tips on building this house will be much appreciated!

I think the thing about bits being all over the place is to maximize the use of each piece of wood. So smaller pieces tend to be cut into little spare bits on the corners of sheets. This really helps keep cost down. Look at the Garfield or Beakon Hill. A Real Good Toys version would be likely a going on a grand. A Dollhouse Emporium version? don't even want to think about it.

I think the thing about bits being all over the place is to maximize the use of each piece of wood. So smaller pieces tend to be cut into little spare bits on the corners of sheets.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In the kit is a large diagram showing each and every sheet of parts contained in the kit- my parts for two sheets did not match the diagram- how anyone could put such a kit together without getting a big unhappy headache is beyond me- I don't think any manufacturer would have intentionally done what I found in my kit.

I returned my particular kit after having deduced that it had been previously opened- the box had been sealed with lots of small pieces of strapping tape and there was no "glue seal" as the outside of the Beacon Hill box states there should be.

The inclusion of a full sheet of parts to some other unknown kit led me to conclude that perhaps the original purchaser of my kit also purchased another and they became slightly mixed before being returned to the store. There were other possible answers too, but at any rate, I don't think my kit was normal at all.

So, provided the kit is new and unopened, it will not likely have the problems mine had. I wish you lots of fun building yours!

I bought it from Overstock.com.

They were very polite about my returning it after I explained what I found as they requested. They "review" the item once they get it back before they agree to credit back the cost. So they sent me a return shipping label, I shipped it back just a few days ago and now it's just the waiting...

Good info to know, I've not dealth with Overstock, but have heard a lot of good. It sounds like they're handling things well, but the idea that they sent you what sounds like a previously opened kit does not bode well. Unless it was sold as pre owned and pre opened.

As for my comment about peices being all over the place, it referred to another post on this thread about chimney bits being all over the place.

Ah! sorry, doogster~ B) I'm still a wee bit touchy about it all- they sold it to me as new~ and what with the confusing inventory, the explanations and emails and finally repackaging and returning such a big heavy item, it was all a troublesome time-consuming thing.

But indeed, they are being gentlemanly about it. And you are right- that's a good thing to know about a company. I've purchased other items from them which I was very satisfied with, and I will again. Thanks for explaining :angry:

I am quite sure returned merchandise is a huge part of the reason Overstock can sell at such great prices, and for the most part if you're careful or picky you'll come out just fine. One of the reasons I'm so glad Greenleaf & Corona are back in the original hands is the quality control issue. Being on a modest income al my working life & now on a more modest fixed income, I appreciate what a great job the company does to bring out uniquely designed kits for truly affordable prices (compared to RGT & DHE, for example). That they're sometimes a challenge to build is a trade-off I'm willing to tackle.

That they're sometimes a challenge to build is a trade-off I'm willing to tackle.

Admit it Holly, it also gives you a good excuse to "change" things around a little. LOL

Darkmoon, I'm sorry for the trouble you've had, how discouraging for you and even though their being gentlemenly about it, it still doesn't make up for the time spent eagerly awaiting the package, going thru the contents and then having to box it up and the whole hassle of getting it returned.

So here is a hug and a pat on the back for you

Peggi

Admit it Holly, it also gives you a good excuse to "change" things around a little.

A "little"? Oh, yeah, right...

I opened my McKinley kit this evening to take inventory and put the sheets in order, so I looked over the instructions. First off the bat are the windows & doors. Uh-uh.

Then there's the Storybook Cottage I found; it's built so far as having the walls, floors, roof and external bay windows & trim assembled,puttied & painted. Of course, what I want to do to it will involve some things I may not be able to do without an extra helping of "*VERY magic*" words... There's a feral black & white cat camped hopefull on our sauna deck.

Aw~~ thanks for that big hug**** one can never get too many!~~~ One bright side is I get to choose a kit *all over again* I'm all for variety~ and another bright side is all the tools and supplies are purchased and have arrived so I'm really ready! :angry:

I've heard mixed reviews about Overstock, although my experiences have all been positive. Do you think you will get a different house this time? Many people are building the Lily or the Garfield. I personally LOVE the look of the Lily, although I can't explain why. I find the Beacon Hill intimidating for some reason. ;) ;)

You've hit it exactly, Cat- my partner and I were both willing but a little daunted at the prospect of the big ole Beacon Hill and so are thinking about a smaller kit.

I think Holly, you were right about Overstock.com too. Now, (hindsight etc. etc.) I figure store return merchandise to be a large part of their inventory. For me, that'll influence what types of things I may or may not wish to purchase from them in the future.

I'm planning to go thru the galllery here again, and follow member links to find a cottage kit we like- especially one we can make mossy and quaint. Several I saw when I first joined here keep haunting me- one was a member's husbands kit...it had a little bitty curved dormer window in the roof...anyway, I'm not looking at the moment till I am ready to order to keep my impatience down...lol.

Here are my tips.

Paint/stain the stairs before you put them inside the house.

If you want to wallpaper the walls do that before you put the house together. Better still use the walls as a template for your paper, mark them and stick them in later.

Interior door holes may need sanding before you fit the doors in.

This house is a pain to make. It was for me anyway, but I still love it.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with the Beacon Hill. Darkmoon, I just sent you a PM with a request that would help to address this issue. Travis T, I will see if I can't get a scan of sheet #2 to post. Hopefully we will get everything straighten out quickly!

Again, I'm sorry for your troubles.

Dean