Do you ever get a hankering for something....

heidiiiii

Wow, they still make Birch Beer?! How cool is that! We don't buy any soda pop or whatever you call it in your neck of the woods anymore. We make our own. We belong to Soda Club and have the fizz machine and all the flavors. I like it better as it's all made with slenda and no cans or bottles to carry around...... But I sure do miss Moxie and Birch Beer!

Thanks for letting me know about that Heidi! You are doing wonderful with your walking program!

Hosmer Mountain Soda

They sell it online (not just local CT) You can also purchase gallon bottles of syrup to make it at home. I couldnt find it on their online site but you could probably ask if you wanted a bottle of Birch Beer syrup. We love all the flavors. Especially the Antique Birch and Antique Cream sodas. I make sure I do not carb too much if I know I am going to drink them because they do not offer those flavors in Diet.

I never really like Moxie..but you can buy it here.

When I was a kid we used to drink Sassparilla too.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my mom is from Delft, Holland originally and i used to love going to my grandma's for tea, and yummy dutch cookies of different varieties and the way she made sandwiches were to die for. I've never tasted anything so yummy as the way she would make things. I crave them from time to time. Loved drinking tea out of fine china B)

Oh and when i was little my mom used to make these things called Ollie bollies or something like that (at least that is what we called them), it was a dough with raisins in it and you deep fried them and then sprinkled powdered sugar on top. My mom said it a was a dutch recipe. I haven't had them since I was younger, but i can still taste how wonderful they were. Mmmmmm i want some now!

My ex-husband was dutch and I still have a recipe for ollie bollen - or however you spell it. If you'd like it, I'll type it out and send it to you.

My ex-husband was dutch and I still have a recipe for ollie bollen - or however you spell it. If you'd like it, I'll type it out and send it to you.

Well I'd like it anyway please B)

• 2 years later...

How about things that I would prefer not to remember...like creamed peas and tuna fish on toast? Yuck.

Things I loved:

- home-made french-fries and onion sandsich

- halibut fish and fries from this one fish and chip store, along with a can of pop

- fresh raspberries

- getting a bag full of candy from the corner store

- home-made fruit smoothies that I still make on occasion

- Tiny Tom donuts from the exibition

- candy floss

- Wunderbars

- home-made spiced donuts

- home-made bread every Sunday

Shall I go on?

Cold Vienna Sausages, with the liquid gelled in between the wieners. I used to eat those by the canful.

Cheese grits

Teaberry Gum

Being able to read a book outside for hours and have no responsiblity whatsoever for anything truly weighty (sure, I had chores, but if I didnt do them small children weren't going to go hungry etc.- I just really miss that feeling of genuine freedom from knowing what grownup life was like, the pure bliss of ignorance)

I was just thinking of this the other day. I want to eat a chicken tostada at La Fonda's once more (they're closed now). And I want to eat fried fish from Pioneer Chicken - I thought they had the best fish (sucky chicken though). And I want plastic lips to chew on again. I am strange, I know.

No, no, you aren't strange - I also loved those wax lips, they were great! And I'd love to have a loaded pizza from Pietro's in Eugene, OR. Don't know if that's still open or not, there were two here in Seattle about 15 years ago, but they closed pretty quickly. Which tells me they weren't doing pizza here like they'd done in Eugene.

Ah, yes, the wax lips! Remember the little wax bottles filled with colored, flavored syrups? Havana specializes in antique stores and gift shops and my favorite "grandparents' store" carries, among other blasts from the past, Mary Janes and licorice whips. I got a couple of the MJs for the heck of it, and realized that it had boon nearly 60 years and mini fillings & crowns ago since I last ate them!lol

yesterday I had the thought that I have not had chicken and dumplings since I was a kid. Boy would that be nice to have for dinner one night?

I have never made it....at least I am pretty sure I have not. If I did, it was a long time ago.

Now that I am looking over Paula Deans recipe online, I do not remember ever making it. But my mom sure has. My whole fryer is frozen so I think I will make this tomorrow.

yesterday I had the thought that I have not had chicken and dumplings since I was a kid. Boy would that be nice to have for dinner one night?

I have never made it....at least I am pretty sure I have not. If I did, it was a long time ago.

Now that I am looking over Paula Deans recipe online, I do not remember ever making it. But my mom sure has. My whole fryer is frozen so I think I will make this tomorrow.

There is a fabulous crock pot recipe for chicken and dumplings here. Actually, most of recipes are awesome. Food wise, there isn't much that I miss. My parents only live 2 hours from me, so if I *really* want something, I just go get it. :lol:

But, there are boardgames up the wahzoo that I would LOVE to play again! Mall Madness, Dream Date, Sweet Valley High and a good old fashioned game of the original Mouse Trap. :o

A while back I got a craving for Spaghetti-O's and twinkies so bought some. Guess my tastes have changed greatly, thought I was going to lose it, especially with the Spaghetti O's, they went in the garbage after a couple of bites. I do get Fruit Loops and Rice Krispies from time to time and still love them though. In fact, I'm working on a box of Fruit Loops right now. Gotta love BOGO, I got a box and the grandkids got the other!

Karen

Winnie the Pooh, recently ordered a Kindle, it's one of the first books I'm going to get, and it's still 11 bucks for the Kindle version. That's staying power, most new books, like the recent vampire dreck, are 10 bucks or less. Pooh is an absolute classic, not to be confused with the awful garbage Disney came up with. Anyway my rant aside.

WOW, so much I miss... Playing Barbies with my Grandpa !!!

Everything Nanny made was delicious.... I sure miss her food.. Potatoe salad, cannot make it like her no matter how hard I try.. Swiss Steak, her homemade baked Mac & Cheese...

Games I loved Rubiks Race and Busy bee card game.. My Grandpa and I would play busy bee all day on a rainy day.!! LOL!!!! He taught me to enjoy cards with that deck.!! Gee, sure wish I could find that game...

Kellee

I actually still love Spaghetti Os. LOL I ate them when I had the pain in my gums.

Natalie`s childhood fav is Chicken quesadillas for dinner. All I do is cut up boneless chicken, season it with cumin, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, a bit of salt and pepper. I cook in frypan until cooked through.

Then I take another frypan and heat. I put Fajita size tortilla in pan. Put some cheddar cheese down, chicken, cheese. Fold over. Wait. Flip over. Wait. Done.

She gets that standard version. Then we have refried beans, black beans, corn, sour cream, pickled jalapenos..you name it.

Oh, I think I will make that for her on Monday instead of Tacos.

Oh, I miss DiMartino's tuna grinders...they moved to FLA.and I think retired,or

Goodwins-a marvelous seafood place in NH-closed years ago.Sigh.

I also missed my Tiny Tears doll, and a few special books and found them all on the

'net.A old Barbie Game too.Yup, Spaghettios,Hostess,baloney,Chef Boyardi....it's

a wonder we're all still alive!! McDonald's once in a while was a treat not a

staple. There's tons more but they are wonderful memories..some retrievable,doable,some gone..but wonderful memories none-the-less! :)

I miss my rag doll. She had a plastic face, her body was a dark blue and she wore a plaid outfit with a plaid bonnet rim framing her face.

The family cat savaged her when I was in my teens. Mama mended her, but later the cat managed to get into my room and savaged poor Neoleh again, this time beyond repair. When my daughter was 4 my mother sent her a rag doll who is now sleeping in a trunk in my attic.

I also miss Warsaw Falcon Polish Pickles, we had those all the time, and Musselman's cherry pie filling. Mama used to make cherry streusel often. Both items are no longer made. Other cherry pie fillings and pickles just don't toe the mark.

I used to love those wax lips and wax bottles too. Things don't seem to taste the same, I know for sure red licorice doesn't taste anything like it used to. I got some expensive red licorice at a store last year, and it did taste familiar.