Do you ever get a hankering for something....

heidiiiii

You're talking "comfort food", here. Warm tapioca pudding, with just a dash of added cream would have to top my list.

And macaroni and cheese, made with Velveeta. I don't really think of Velveeta as "real cheese", and don't use it for anything BUT macaroni, sometimes....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're talking "comfort food", here. Warm tapioca pudding, with just a dash of added cream would have to top my list.

And macaroni and cheese, made with Velveeta. I don't really think of Velveeta as "real cheese", and don't use it for anything BUT macaroni, sometimes....

Velvetta is great melted on a Philly Cheese steak sandwich..Mmmmm! (i can hear arteries clogging now)

Also for superbowl..you can melt Velveeta and mix in either chili or salsa. Sinfully good.

I dont really use Velvetta anymore (rarely) because of the calories.

I also loved spaghetti O's both with and without the meatballs and hotdogs in them......and mac and cheese! Plain please! I give in once in a great while and get out that famous blue box that says the Cheesiest and whip up a batch!

Spare ribs roasted in the over minus the sauce is another all-time favorite. Crispy on the outside and darned delicious on the inside....and homemade doughnuts like my mother made! Oh man, what I would give for some of them. She used to save the holes for me!

And my old Columbia bicycle with the big fat tires! What a beauty that was! And my bb powered six shooters when I wanted to be cowboy! So many of my childhood things!

Dairy Queen cones are another favorite.....and we indulge each time we go to Missoula! There is a DQ there.....

And a more simple pleasure that I got when I lived in West Bridgewater, Massachusetts. Going down to the little river in the park there and sitting there with my droo line with a big safety pin on the other end and a wiggly worm on that - I caught the biggest hornpout (remember I was a little girl then) I ever saw with it!

Oh yes, Heidi, thank you for bringing back wonderful memories!

Don't think I've ever had spaghetti-os, just never had them as a kid and now my imagination of what they must be like puts me off :) mushy pasta in ketchup like sauce? na! :blink: (actually probably aren't that bad, just my imagination!)

Your imagination is spot on, actually. When we were kids, my sister and my aunt each sent a away for a special Spaghetti-os spoon--they were THAT into them. My husband loves the, too. I prefer to leave the room when they are consumed.

My kiddie cravings run along the lines of Indian Corn Chips. I also love cupcaked made with Jiffy cake mix with warm Jello pudding poured over them. Oh yeah, add BLTs to the list (which go great with the Indian Corn Chips). And chili with Fritos--yep, just dump those puppies right in the chili. Yummy!

I get cravings for Switzers Black licorice. But back when I was a kid they came in a small package with 4 pieces stuck together and you had to pull them apart. Now I can only find them in large bags of singles or little bite size pieces. I also crave my grandmother's homade pot chees pirogies, I'm Polish. The ones they sell in supermarkets are not made with that cheese, they only come in potato/cheese. Totally different. Also my grandmother used to make her own kabasca(kabasi). Then there was Kruschic (I don't remember how to spell it) but it was rolled out dough made with flour, a dozen eggs and brandy cut into 1" wide strips with a slice in the middle and one end was put through the slit so it was twisted. Then deep fried and powered sugar put on. They melted in your mouth.

One of my favourite things as a kid was going to the corner store and buying a bag of penny candy. For a kid to have a whole nickel was huge in my day. Usually we'd just have a few pennies. I remember going with my friends to the store and we'd spend a long time choosing which candies we'd buy. Only a few of the candies actually cost a whole penny. Lots of them were 2, 3 or even 5 candies for a penny.

I look back and remember spending more time on choosing what I'd spend my few pennies to buy, than I do when purchasing much higher ticket items today.

-Susanne

Oh the penny candy store!

You thought you were rich if you went in there with a dollar.

Squirrels, Mary Janes, the paper with the dots on them, pixie sticks, and waxed lips!

DQ cone dipped in butterscotch. Mmmmmmmmm.

When we were younger, Granny used to have a car that automatically turned into DQ whenever we drove past it. Fantastic car! and great Granny too.

Isn't it interesting that most of our "hankerings" are food-related! :blink::)

Another favourite childhood memory was climbing into bed and smelling the clean fresh scent of line-dried sheets and pillow cases. It was heavenly.

Also, coming back from the Library with 3 brand-new (to me anyway) books to read. I remember laying on the floor and spreading my 3 books out in front of me and just looking at them, sniffing them and feeling the covers. They were always hard cover books. Does anyone remember: Flicka, Ricka and Dicka? By school age it was any mystery by Enid Blyton.

BTW, my parents are British - I only drink my coffee and tea out of fine China. I even slipped half a dozen fine china mugs into our kitchen cupboard at the office so that I could enjoy this endulgence. If I'm in a coffee shop, obviously I have to drink out of the mugs supplied. But both at work and home ... it's only bone china for me.

-Susanne

Banana flip overs. They use to sell them at the( Tastee Bread Box )store when I was a kid. They are like a banana flavored twinky but it is folded like a taco instead of a tube cake. and it was filled with this amazing banana flavored fluff. Grandma would buy me one every time we went.

Funny, I was just talking about this the other day. My mom's Southern Fried Chicken was the best! She also made the best potato salad (I still can't copy that recipe right), sliced cucumbers and onions in vinegar/sugar, and one recipe that my brother still makes when we visit: what she called Golden Rod Eggs. It is hardboiled egg whites in a white cream sauce, served on toast, with grated egg yolks on top...yummy! And all ohh so healthy :)

I remember going to the library as a young teen and checking out books on making dollhouses, of all things. I had very limited resources back then, so my friend and I made rooms out of shoe boxes and decorated them (very plainly) and had these cute little inexpensive dolls that went in them. We even made clothes for them. Then another friend of ours made fun of us for playing with dolls at age 13. :) Oh well, I'm glad I got back into it again and have met a lot of great people that share the same obsession here :blink:

You will think this is weird but it sooooo good! celery, with peanut butter, and raisins on top YUMMM!!!! It's called ants on a log. Weird? Yes, but sooo yumy.:p

Well I googled ollie bollies...of course i didn't find what i wanted lol..... so i googled dutch recipes and found it!

They are called Oliebollen, seeing the pictures has really made me crave them more...lol. Yum!

Oh my mom used to make perogies with fruit and deep fry them. They are soo very good. But i can't eat them they are too sweet. I get kinda sick from them. :wub:

My aunt makes the best wheat around Christmas. My moms Ukrainian i love Ukrainian cooking.

Well I googled ollie bollies...of course i didn't find what i wanted lol..... so i googled dutch recipes and found it!

They are called Oliebollen, seeing the pictures has really made me crave them more...lol. Yum!

I remember hearing these advertised for the St Joseph County Fair in South Bend IN when I was a kid growing up in Michigan. I haven't thought about them in years. The South Bend area had a big dutch community if I recall.

I remember hearing these advertised for the St Joseph County Fair in South Bend IN when I was a kid growing up in Michigan. I haven't thought about them in years. The South Bend area had a big dutch community if I recall.

You know, that might well be where I had them first time! I was thinking it was probably while visiting Granny and she lived near St Joseph County! :p

Though we do have quite a few dutch friends, so could have been with one of them here in the UK, too young to remember details!

ohh yeah. where to start...

tab - it was a soft drink very yummy

OMG! Tab!

My mom used to drink that when I was young (in the 1970s)..They still make that? Now that is a memory...Going to the beach and Mom giving me a 50c to buy her a Tab and me a Coke at the bait and tackle shop right next door. Tab and the smell of worms...Memories.

I would give anything for some Moxie - which was a soft drink we enjoyed in Maine way back when! And Birch Beer! Like root beer but lighter...... And wax bottles of coke - horribly sweet sticky liquid inside..........loved it! But what I have a hankering for right now is my dad's butterscotch upside down pudding cake smothered in whipped cream! And my mom's homemade doughnuts hot from thepan..... And hot potatoe chips from a store in Brockton Mass....they would come out of this machine on a conveyer belt while being sprinkled with salt all the way....to your bag! Yumm! Nothing like fresh hot potatoe chips.....what a treat that was....

You know you're getting old when you think about all these things from the past! LOL

Gina,

We drink Birch beer all the time here. The kids love it. There is a place here in CT (Willimantic) that still makes their own soda and they make their birch beer from the birch trees that grow on the mountain on their property.

Love it!

Wow, they still make Birch Beer?! How cool is that! We don't buy any soda pop or whatever you call it in your neck of the woods anymore. We make our own. We belong to Soda Club and have the fizz machine and all the flavors. I like it better as it's all made with slenda and no cans or bottles to carry around...... But I sure do miss Moxie and Birch Beer!

Thanks for letting me know about that Heidi! You are doing wonderful with your walking program!

My husband LOVES Moxie. We can get it here in New England and we can also also the birch beer - which I personally think smells and tastes like Pepto-Bismol .... :groucho:

We used to make our own root beer when I was a kid and occassionally, mid-winter explosions could be heard from poorly capped bottles. What a mess to clean up !

Lemonade (home made) was our usual drink of choice. I remember one time my dad came in from mowing the lawn and opened the fridge and poured himself a big glass from the "lemonade" pitcher. It was dusk and no lights were on yet. He sat down in his favorite chair in the living room, sighed and took a long tasty slurp of .... cold chicken broth !!!!!!! My mother had repurposed the pitcher. Needless to say she NEVER did that again. :banana: