1/5/06 Did you spend more.......

Yes and no.

No: We spent more than we usually do, but the major purchases were planned and came in on budget.

Yes: My skills at estimating engineering projects are slipping -- the dollhouse ended up costing more than intended, though I don't know why that would surprise me. I always think I'm going to do something in some incredibly cost-saving way, and I always end up doing something else that involves $30 of supplies. Other people do brilliantly at penny-pinching...

Oh, and my husband bought me a $300 hotel kit in quarter-scale. That's WAY more than we usually spend on the shell. I'm not even touching it until some of my other projects are officially done.

Not this year - I was over budget on a couple people - Had to get dad the Leg Lamp from Christmas Story (it was an ornament.. come to think of it it was just dollhouse size!) but under budget on a couple also so it pretty much ballanced out. I came up Even Steven this year :ph34r: Not bad for someone who was still shopping last minute :) - Hopefully next year I'll get done on schedule :p

-David

"We" spent more than my dh had planned. But "I" love to shop and buy gifts for people, so I wasn't surprised on how much I spent. He does not shop very often and really has no idea how much things cost. We stopped in Indigo to pick up a few pocket books and other stocking stuffers. He came up to the cash register just when I was paying and said that he had no idea that it was so expensive to Christmas Shop. It told him "sweetheart, these are just the stocking stuffers!"

Everyone in our Province has been blessed this year by "bonus" cheques from our Provincial Government. They're issuing tax-free cheques in the amount of $400 for every man, woman, and child living in Alberta.

Hmmmm! Do I hear the word Election??

SUsanne

I spent about the same as last year all paid in cash/debit Spent a bit more on my village bought 2 sheets of plywood and some 1x and 2x lumber to do the base for the whole thing. I can go nuts doing the whole thing if I do not watch it. THe 2 Lionel houses were a little more than I planned as well. I would have been happy getting restorabloe pieces and sell off the duplicates to pay for my habit

Ed

I would have been happy getting restorabloe pieces and sell off the duplicates  to pay for my habit

Ed

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Habit, hobby, craft......minis are definitely addicting! But, I've heard (and don't quote me) that many miniaturists can also live useful and productive lives. Blend right into the mainstream of life. LOL

Susanne

THis is why I want to design a series of add ons for the village and either publish the plans or have Northeast produce kits of them for me. Hint Hint my barn maybe a few outuildings for a farm possibly a western town possibly a few add ons for my Lionel station including the clock tower that I have been imagineering

Ed

Ed -

In your Christmas Village pictures, I saw the Lionel train track, but didn't see the trains. Did you have them running? What year is your Lionel trains from? Ray also has a Lionel train set circa 1947 that he got for a Christmas present when he was a kid. Ray recognized the train track as a Lionel from your pictures. He was wondering what year your set is ... are there pictures?

Susanne

Habit, hobby, craft......minis are definitely addicting!  But, I've heard (and don't quote me) that many miniaturists can also live useful and productive lives.  Blend right into the mainstream of life. LOL

Susanne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:ph34r: There is hope after all :p

....oops, wasn't supposed to quote that one. :)

Happy New Year

Doe

Oh, yeah, to answer the question of the day.....NO I didn't spend near as much as I wanted to....but, budgets prevail I'm afraid.

If I got the pic attached ....it's a pic of my son as a groomsman at his friend's wedding. He's a good looking little dickens

post-137-1136545214_thumb.jpg

Ed, you ought to contact Steve here at Greenleaf--he's very knowledgeable and receptive to new products, if Northwest doesn't bite. Greenleaf was originally a diecut manufacturer. Or contact Lisa at Corona.

Another one you might want to contact you mentioned in chat a few weeks ago is Plasticville, or Bauchman. All the company can do is say no. Since it is dollhouse scale also, you might want to collaborate with the 1/4 scale enthusiasts, like Andrews Miniatures. Just a few ideas.... :p

I did pretty well on Christmas this year. We didn't really buy much for ourselves, mainly Amanda. Getting together with the family is more important to us since we have so little time during the year to visit. This year for me was pillow making time, I have a couple of hunters and fisherman as neighbors, and my dad who likes to have a pillow in his recliner, (bad back) so I bought some of that mossy oak fleece which is cheap, some tassels and cording, and made 'fancy' back pillows for the fisherman and his son who hunts--they are the envy of the hunt club and the fishing club now! :)

I spent some money in early October for a remote control 1/2 inch scale golf cart for my husband--but that was as pricey as it got. Never go Christmas shopping to Hobbytown! :ph34r:

:If I got the pic attached ....it's a pic of my son as a groomsman at his friend's wedding. He's a good looking little dickens

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He would look perfect on the arm of one of my nieces!! It's a lovely photo ... how many children do you have?

Susanne

Everyone in our Province has been blessed this year by "bonus" cheques from our Provincial Government. They're issuing tax-free cheques in the amount of $400 for every man, woman, and child living in Alberta.

Susanne, my Mom told me about his. Makes me want to be back there!! It kind of makes my Mom mad though! Why should a two month old baby get a cheque for $400 when he hasn't even paid taxes?!! Oh well, old Kline is milking it for all it's worth!! :D

This is the first year we actually made a budget for Christmas and we pretty much stuck to it! Although, hubby spent way more on me . . . but, hey, I'm worth it!! :lol:

Oh, and my husband bought me a $300 hotel kit in quarter-scale. That's WAY more than we usually spend on the shell. I'm not even touching it until some of my other projects are officially done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any pictures of the hotel? :lol:

Sure. It's La Posada (Taxco Mexico) here. Judging from the prices on the manufacturer's site, we overpaid a little, but I'd never seen it before we encountered it at The Littlest Dollhouse in Toronto. I'm still kind of shocked that we spent that, but DH fell in love with it.

Very nice looking son, Doe. Don't you just love to see a guy dressed up.

Wende, the link didn't work for me either so I went to the site and took a look. I can see why your DH loved it, it's a great dollhouse. I wasn't aware that you worked in that scale or will this be your first? I will sure be looking forward to seeing that one come together.

Wendy