Lighting question

Muriel

Ok all you clever clogs out there, I'm trying to do my lighting. I'm using round wire and have a lovely 12V transformer which says it is suitable for up to 32 bulbs. My master socket board has 12 spaces for plugs, a fuse, a switch and a little light bulb.

When I plug a lamp in, the little light on the socket board lights up a little and the lamp lights up reasonably brightly. However when I plug in the next lamp, the first and second lamp dim considerably and the light on the socket board lights up quite brightly. With each additional lamp the lamps get dimmer and the socket board light gets brighter. With only 3-4 bulbs plugged in I can barely tell they are on and have to look closely for some glowing red wire in the bulbs.

Any ideas for stopping them getting so dim and the socket light brightening?? Want it the other way round if at all!

Flicking the switch just turns everything off.

All help is appreciated. I thought I was doing so well with the wiring (rewiring plugs, even shortening and lengthening wires!) and now this has annoyed me! Grrrr.

Muriel :o

Get a transformer that says it is for more lights. I don't understand why that happens sometimes but I have had the same problem more than once. When I bought one for "more" lights (it would take more lights), My lights were no longer dim but shown wonderfully. I could not have my poor mini folk going blind :o

Muriel,

I don't have a exact answer but this might help. I work on a lot of equipment that has small transformers to power control boards. A transformer is a device that changes A/C power (the power that is coming out of your outlet at home) to D/C power (the same power that comes out of a battery). These transformers are made by running the A/C power thru a coil of wire (in our case VERY SMALL wire) so many revulitions to get the required amount of D/C power out the other side (the dollhouse side). In a standard house there are several transformers we use every day. For one, the computer you are useing almost allways operates on D/C so it has a transformer on the cord or in the computer itself, If you have a doorbell it runns on a transformer, if you have central Air or heat there is a transformer that powers the thermostat that controls the tempiture in your house.

These transformers are SUPOST to give out and exact amount of D/C voltage. I find a LOT of them that don't give the exact voltage. Most transformers now are made in China and are not of great quality. Another thing, the voltage coming out of your outlet at home has a slight variation. Here in the US the amount of voltage that comes out of a outlet should be 120 volts. If you take a meter you will find anything from 116 volts to 122 volts (this is normal). This can cause the transformer in turn to turn out lower or higher (that is useally the case) amounts of D/C voltage. The amount of times the coil is wraped seams to varry and I have torn up more than one transformer to see what the problem was. The wire is coated with a varnish to keep it from shorting out, sometimes the varnish is not completely covering the wire.

There are a ton of reasons the transformer could be bad. I would follow Tracy's advise and buy you a new transformer. If you had a meter I would tell you to mesure the voltage of the transformer coming out of the one you are having problems with, but you couldn't fix it even if you knew what the problem was. The reason getting one that is rated for more lights is a good idea is because the more lights it is rated for the heavyer the wire that is used on the coil. The voltage output is the same but it will carry a bigger "load".

I hope this has not been to booring but I thought it might help if you knew all the problems you can have with a transformer.

Kevin

I think you need more lights if that makes sense. :(

I think I read that somewhere, too. That you should have a certain number of lights plugged into the power strip or transformer for it to work properly, otherwise you could blow the fuse or circuit. I know from personal experience :o , I was playing around with plugging and unplugging lights and blew the fuse on my power strip...had to wait until I could get more fuses before I could play around with the lights again, so I made sure I left so many plugged in at one time, and haven't had a problem since. Of course, I am a novice, so I

could be totally wrong with my information :(

Thanks Tracy and Kevin for your excellent explanation.

I thought with a transformer for 32 bulbs I was doing ok (I'll only be using 14 or so - which includes a 6 bulb chandelier).

Kathy and Corwin I'll certainly try plugging in more lights and see what happens.

Strange thing is that I originally got 5 lights and plugged them in to see if they worked. I really can't remember any dimming then at all. Then I got my new lights and was trying them out and then it all dimmed. Now when I plug the 5 original ones in it dims again.

I'm at uni, so I'll try everything out when I get home. I can't have my minis in darkness, but may have to save up for another transformer, above 30 bulbs seems to jump in expense.

Thanks all!

Muriel:)

Well unfortunately plugging in more lights had no beneficial effect (just got dimmer). Its strange that with every light I plug in the lamps get dimmer, but the socket strip light gets brighter. Should be the other way round!

I guess its transformer changing then. and therefore penny saving time. At least I have the lights installed and can start gluing the house together now while I save.

Muriel

Muriel, are you sure you don't have one of the wires crossed? This pizzles me. if the transformer getts hot while it is on it is a crossed wire IN the transformer or a wire is crossed (most likley it is the transformer) but check to make sure you have no wires crossed. check and see if any of the lamps are to hot if one is hotter than the others, check the wires and conections at that lamp.

Nost likley you have a bad transformer, any chance you can get a refund on it?

Kevin

I've plugged everything in now and will leave it for a bit to see if anything heats up.

Crossed wires: I'm presuming it doesn't matter which of the two wire bits goes into which pin, as long as they're not touching. Also presuming that it doesn't matter which way round the pins stick into the socket (though i've tried turning them around without effect). The wires coming from the socket strip to the transformer seem to just rest against two screws on the transformer (I've drawn a picture to show what i mean). I'm guessing it doesn't matter which way round those wires are either (I've tried both way round anyway and no change)

I bought the transformer beginning of january, but I will try and return it anyway. I bought it from a charity shop which sells second hand items, but also sells a (new) dollhouse range. The staff won't be used to giving refunds, but I'll just ask if they can exchange it. I'll try and do that tomorrow.

Well after being on for about 15 minutes nothing is particularly hot, but I'll leave it on a little longer.

Muriel

post-2387-1203522581_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Did anyone every find a solution to this? I have the EXACT situation. I plug in one light to the socket, and it is fine. The next light plugged in dims both considerably, and by the third you can barely see the lights lit, but the little light on the socket board is blazing bright. I have the big transformer- the one that comes with the big house kit and it worked fine with the tapewire system I was trying to make work, but gave up because I got tired of the eyelets and MDF.

I'm thinking this house does not want to be electrified!!!

I thought the light on the power strip was only supposed to come on when there was a problem with the fuse in it? Or do you mean a testor light that you have plugged into the power bar? Either way, I'd be looking at the power strip not distributing a regulated amount of voltage to all lights. You are getting light, so it doesn't seem the transformer would be at fault.

I'm fairly certain Kevin is on the right track here with the crossed/shorting wires. I'm not an electricity expert, but normally when the above symptoms are displayed, it's a problem with the wires touching somewhere they're not supposed to.

In response to one of Muriel's questions about how many lights to plug in: Some transformers require the use of a "resistor" or "capacitor" to prevent any burn out when you use less than the rated number of lights. For one of those transformers, if it's rated for 15 lights and you're only using 5, it will cause the lights to dim and brighten unexplainably, as well as cause the bulbs to burn out quicker. Most modern dollhouse transformers have a built in capacitors, so that shouldn't be the issue in your case.

I've never used a roundwire system, but I might be inclined to think that the power strip is where the problem is. I'd have to buy one and take it apart before I could give you a good explaination as to why.

I thought the light on the power strip was only supposed to come on when there was a problem with the fuse in it? Or do you mean a testor light that you have plugged into the power bar? Either way, I'd be looking at the power strip not distributing a regulated amount of voltage to all lights. You are getting light, so it doesn't seem the transformer would be at fault.

Hi Sue-

I didn't get any directions with the socket strip, so I was wondering if that light comes on when there is a problem too. Since it gets brighter with the number of lights I add, I'm wondering that too. I swear I'm not an idiot! LOL Why am I having so many electrical problems? With my Greenleaf houses I never even had a second of problems lighting them. I'm going to go get another socket strip and some fuses tonight and see what that does. Thanks for you help!

I'm fairly certain Kevin is on the right track here with the crossed/shorting wires. I'm not an electricity expert, but normally when the above symptoms are displayed, it's a problem with the wires touching somewhere they're not supposed to.

In response to one of Muriel's questions about how many lights to plug in: Some transformers require the use of a "resistor" or "capacitor" to prevent any burn out when you use less than the rated number of lights. For one of those transformers, if it's rated for 15 lights and you're only using 5, it will cause the lights to dim and brighten unexplainably, as well as cause the bulbs to burn out quicker. Most modern dollhouse transformers have a built in capacitors, so that shouldn't be the issue in your case.

I've never used a roundwire system, but I might be inclined to think that the power strip is where the problem is. I'd have to buy one and take it apart before I could give you a good explaination as to why.

I thought that too (the wires touching somethwere) so I tried a couple of lights straight out of the package. Same problem. I'm going to go get another power strip today and see if that is the problem. Thanks for your help!

I was just reaearching this and found this statement in a tutorial: "Check that the socket board works. If the fuse has gone the light on the board will be lit." I'm wondering if the fuse is then the problem. So on my way home from work I am going to get another socket board and some fuses. I hope this does the trick! :groucho:

Problem solved. I replaced the fuse and all lights function properly. Is being embarassed a prerequisite for learning? :giggle: I asked the lady in the hobby store to stock the fuses and she did the laughing thing where you try to hide the fact that you are laughing, then sent me to the auto parts store for regular fuses. $6 later (I bought 10 just to have them on hand) I have lights again. How was I supposed to know that this is just a regular old fuse and nothing special for this particular dollhouse socket strip???

At any rate, if anyone else ever has this problem, now we all know IT'S THE DARNED FUSE!!!!! Hey, at least I have lights now, and boy are they bright!!! :)

Lol, I just went and got another transformer (having returned the first one) last monday and had time to plug it in yesterday. The strip light came on, but not the bulbs. It is slightly difficult to plug/unplug the individual lights and didn't have time to unplug them all to see if the same problem was happening. So thanks Tiffany for sorting it out with the fuse! I'll have to see if I have a fuse around... Got a bunch a while ago, so will have to see if any of them are the right strength.

It doesn't really matter which side of a 2 sided wire goes where, as long as the sides remain consistent. You diagram is OBVIOUSLY wrong cause you have 2 positives. There's a positive and a negative. As long as positive goes to positive and negative goes to negative all should be well. ALL the way through your wiring. I'm going with Kevin, you've reversed it somewhere.

I'll bet you it's just the fuse. I think in Muriel's diagram the plus signs were meant to indicate the screws, not positive and negative, but that's just a guess. Replace the fuse, Muriel, and let us know what happens. :D