Pocket doors ... any suggestions for construction?

KathieB

I'm working on a floor plan that needs a door between two rooms but really doesn't have room for a door to swing into either room. I think a pocket door that slides into the wall would be perfect, but I'm having a hard time visualizing the mechanics. Slide on a rod? Tiny rollers?

Suggestions welcome!

False walls on the walls with a pocket (space) in between. Then you could put the doors on a rod at the top that hides into the seam of the false walls (maybe use some trimwork at the top to hide it in the center) . You could put stops on either side so the door doesnt completely disappear into the false walls.

Mind you Kathie I have never done this but that is what popped into my head.

I did sliding interior doors in my samurai house. I'm not sure what was more fun........building them or playing with them after they were done. LOL Here's the link for the building blog. I think the tut for the sliding door is about halfway down the page.

http

://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/b...dex.php?cat=57

Deb

Thanks for the ideas! I looked at the Samurai Summer House in your Gallery, Deb, but couldn't see the detail in the those photos. The blog entry helped a lot. I'd forgotten that you blogged it. Thanks for the link.

I think it will take a false wall with a stop in it so the door doesn't slide out of reach. If I make the door itself a quarter inch or three/eighths of an inch taller than the opening and a half to an inch wider (so it doesn't come out of the wall when closed), it ought to slide without twisting.

This will be a lot easier than the complicated rod/roller notion that I was trying to sort out in my head. Easy does it! :flowers:

You can put a stop between the layers of wall the thickness of the door. I would think a strip of channel molding at the top & bottom of the door to hold it would work. the RL pocket doors have a plate on the end with a pice that pulls down to pull it out to close it, and little brass-lined indentations on either side to hook your fingers into to open it. Wicnd I'm not sure how you'd duplicate the closing lever-plate in mini, I'd just put doorknobs on each side and let them stop the door from disappearing into the wall.

I've got it all worked out in my head now. This will be part of the Adams, but I think I can share this one detail with y'all without giving away the whole concept. Will post as I work on it.

I have a Cheltenham tucked back in the queue that wants to be a Colonial and will probably want one between the diningroom & parlor. I guess I'll have to pick up a Primrose or something to make into the kitchen.

I've seen a few on ebay, but they go as fast as they're posted. There is both a single pocket door and a double pocket door. I was hoping to get one for my little powder room that is going to go off the laundry room. When all you have is 6 x 6 sq inches to make into both rooms, you can't waste space on a swinging door!

OH! I just had a thought! Timberbrook does make sliding closet doors. Maybe you could use these for a pocket door.

Edited by rodentraiser

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The closet doors are too modern for the look I'm trying to achieve (18th-19th century), and I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Since I'm putting two Adams kits together side by side, forming the pocket will be easy enough. I think I'm going to add wood to the top and one side of the door, the side that slides into the pocket. The wood bits will act as tabs to hold the door in place and will not be seen as both will be inside the wall. I'll put a wooden stop inside the wall to prevent the door from sliding too far inside. I think the tabs on top and side will be enough to keep the door on "track", so am not planning a bottom track but may wax the bottom of the door for an easy slide.

I'm waiting for the door (a 5-panel wooden door) to arrive from HBS and hope to work on it over the weekend. I'll take photos.