New & building the orchid

Hi, I'm new here and just wanted to say Hi and that I've enjoyed looking at everyones pictures. It's wonderful inspiration to finish my Orchid. I've started a web page that will follow the construction. www.geocities.com/sarrkmmm/orchid This is actually a restart, I originally started about 9 years ago. But life, 3 kids, a husband and a job got in the way. The kids are older now and I have more time to put towards my hobbies. I'm looking forward to being part of this community and learning from all of you.

Allison

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I'm not sure about how I'm going to decorate. There are so many posibilities! Right now I'm working on the color. I was wanting a really light green but couldn't find one I liked so I'm mixing my own. (using the acrylics from walmart) I'm kinda stuck on the windows too. I need to decide if I want to make them stained glass. I'll post pictures when I get a little farther on.

Welcome Allison! :)

Have you given any thought as to how you're going to make the stained glass windows? I used DecoArt's Gallery Glass and several people here on the forum have printed off of their computers onto transparencies. There are some really gorgeous windows out there!!

Good luck and I'm looking forward to following your progress!! :huh:

Teresa, I've actually thought of both ideas. If I use gallery glass I'm going to have to wait until the end of the month to go shopping or do an internet order as I don't have a local hobby shop. Just Walmart and it's pretty skimpy on the hobby supplies. I will decide this weekend what I'm doing. If I do transparencies I'll be sure to post pictures.

FOV, After I rescued my Orchid from the Garage, I did a google search and yours was one of the first sites I found for the Orchid. It was very inspiring to go ahead and finish mine. I especially like how you did a built in bed.

Allison

FOV, After I rescued my Orchid from the Garage, I did a google search and yours was one of the first sites I found for the Orchid. It was very inspiring to go ahead and finish mine. I especially like how you did a built in bed.

me toooo! Emily's orchard was the first dollhouse site I found when I did a google search....like the day after I ordered my first kit. I was like "wonder whats on the web about dollhouses?" yes I did say the day AFTER. remember talking about nutti

and I was in awe of her skills! very inspiring for the first veiwing.

so we could almost blame our addiction on her! :D

my grandbabys mom Amanda is building the orchid now too.

Im hoping to help....she hasnt asked for none :)

nutti :huh:

:) I had no idea! :huh:

Glad you guys were inspired. But my houses are a real mess compared to some of the beauties I've found on the web. I have this bad habit of never quite finishing what I start... :D

Allison, as I posted in the Arthur blog, I made a "stained glass" window and used regular acrylic paint straight from the tube (I use Liquitex because it's what I can get) and thinned it with a few drops of "crylic thinner" (what the bottle label says) and got lovely transparent colors. I used black thick & straight from the tube to do the "leads" and when it was good & dry I colored in the spaces.

Hi Allison and welcome to the forum! My first house was the Orchid too and it's a delightful house to build. Your stained glass windows will be a wonderful touch to it. Are you putting them in the gables? I did the transparencies for stained glass in my Pierce it's really an elegant touch. Can't wait to see how your Orchid progresses!

Deb