Not what I expected

Deb

Am thinking of you Deb! And am there with you as well amongst your "peeps" cheering the good doc on as he takes good care of you (he better or the spells will fly!) stay positive sweetie and take it easy!

(((HUGS)))

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone. I'm nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs right now. It helps so much to know that you're all here with me. <grasping everyone's hands>

Time to go.

Deb

Well, I would use the astral plane - :plane: - but with all this snow in the air - perhaps I could :huh: ooh, no - forgot I can't ski .... well, I could hitch a ride with :( - no, they won't know the way .... hmmmm .... maybe, :banana: - no, I can't drive a motorcycle either .... hey does anybody know :batman: ? No?

Well, I could always :drive: uh ... forgot about all that snow - plus I don't know the way .... oooh, I have it - I've got Deb by the hand .... oh De-eb .... are we there yet?

Okay, that filled some of the wait time, at least! B)

Darn, with all of us there in spirit it sure does make the listening to the doctor hard. So those in front of the line please pass the word on back--do we move on to the hospital or set up residence in the home for an all night watch?

I'm here! I'm okay, just confused and disappointed because there's still no treatment or solution. The diagnosis has changed back to Graves Disease and not toxic autonomous edenoma or TMNG. The dr said that the blood tests all showed my thyroid levels including T3 and T4 to be in normal ranges. He said that the main problem is that I've been on the tapazole (the medication I take for my thyroid) too long and need to quit taking it immediately. He said most of the time it's only used for a year at the most to put Graves disease into remission and I've been on it for 13 years. He said that might be a new record and it's the tapazole that's causing my body to think that my thyroid is out of control. Or maybe my thyroid really is out of control, but we won't know that till I've been off the tapazole long enough to get accurate test results.

Apparently, with stopping the tapazole, I'll probably feel worse for a couple of months.....or still the same.....but not any better. I'm not sure I can take that. In April they'll run another set of blood tests and see where my thyroid is at then. If it shows that the Graves Disease is not in remission, then they'll either nuke it or remove it. He said he'll want another ultrasound done in the next couple of weeks and they'll call me back when they have that scheduled so he can compare it with the old one.

He changed his mind on the diagnosis about the nodules being hot/autonomous after seeing the copies of the first ultrasound I had done years ago and said he didn't see anything in that or in the results of the radioactive iodine uptake test done at the same time to indicate they were the type of nodules to go autonomous. The new ultrasound will probably show if they are or not, or at least if they've grown. If they have grown, then they'll do a biopsy.

The worst of it is that he said I won't feel any better for at least a couple of months. I broke down and started bawling about that coz I don't know if I can go on feeling like this. I'd rather have them just do surgery tomorrow then go spend another day feeling like I do now. On one hand, it's not bad news, but on the other hand, it's not good news either. Basically, it's back to square one where I was 13 years ago.

Deb

Big <<<<hugs>>>Deb, I'm so sorry nothing definite is known as yet, but I'm so thankful that it is not life threatening. Just wish I had some good advice, but the only thing I can offer is a shoulder to lean on when needed.