An Orchid Tragedy

Well, I've been working away at my little Orchid, which is my first dollhouse. I started it about two weeks ago, figuring I would make it for my pig, and then I'd be done with dollhouses. But, ah, not so much. After a day I knew that I couldn't possibly implement even half my ideas, and that there'd have to be another in my future at some time.(Many more photos of the Orchid are in my gallery, of course!)

2244028212_33cfd65091_m.jpg2243234247_f03b3b9d7b_m.jpg

Now for the tragedy part: I have realized that the Orchid is Far. Too. Small. for even half of the furniture I've got on hand (and I have so much more on the way! Darn ebay!). I love this little cottage to pieces, don't really feel like bashing it any bigger, so have decided it will be the farmside cottage for my little Porkerina (the Alice Cherry Blossom BJA in my avatar), and I'll just have to find another house to build, once I decide whether I want to do the gingerbread trim with the copper roof or keep it clean-lined.

I should mention that I've already got the trailer and the Adams on the way, but those just won't suit. Nor will the Greenleaf Village (I've become a dollhouse kit monster, I think.) that's also on its way in.

Sooooooo. Big house needed. But not too huge of a footprint, since it has to live in my craft room, and the sewing tables and shelves and ironing boards and cutting tables take up a ton of space -- height is the way to go. I'm getting a RGT Newport for $150 (I can't pass up a deal like that, you know?), but something about the Harrison (and the room size!) is calling my name, even though I don't really like Tudor styles. I want to turn it into a Bavarian Fairytale. And I think I probably will, I just need to get the Newport in my hot sweaty hands first, right?

So, to sum up: Eyecandy in the gallery, trailer and Adams and village in the mail, small trip to get a $150 Newport to be the true home of Porkerina the Pig Ballerina, MUST WAIT on getting a Harrison. Or a Lily. Or any others. Also must wait for all the ebay purchases to arrive and the House of Miniatures kits to be assembled before I buy any more furniture. And must learn how to do the lights on the next one, whatever it is. Yup, yup, yup. That's my plan.

Alisha,

I dont see that as a tragedy..I see it as an opportunity! Cool! You can always have the Orchid be her summer cottage and the Newport be her main house!

Love what you have done with the Orchid btw.

I think your Orchid with its decor is a perfect place for your parapatetic porker. If she needs a larger establishment for her entourage of fans & afficionados, splurge & build her la grand dame, the Garfield! and to heck with size limitations!

LOL, another ACB moving into a Greenleaf! :D

My Tilly is going to be living in a Buttercup, and I'm also worried there may not be enough room for the kitchen I really want - I may make a room box just for kitchen photos.

(Edit: This is why I resisted shopping for furniture until the house is built - and since I'm also making my wedding dress, the poor house is still in its box. I'm glad I apparently was smart about it - even if resisting was SO difficult!)

Edited by Tilly Wants Cake

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the bold colors and prints you used in your Orchid! That house explodes with personality, and I bet there's more great ideas where those came from. It's easy to see that no one dollhouse would be big enough to hold all your dreams. It's great that you have several kits because I can't wait to see what you dream up next!

Buying the furniture and accessories first seems always a good idea to me,...then when the house is built, if the stuff doesn't "fit" or "isn't just right", there's a ready-made excuse to get another house! :D

Buying the furniture and accessories first seems always a good idea to me,...then when the house is built, if the stuff doesn't "fit" or "isn't just right", there's a ready-made excuse to get another house! :yes:

Now, see, Ann, you & I think alike!lol

MMEEEEE TOOOOOOOOO!!! :D:unsure::p

nutti :banana:

Thank you all, both for your compliments, and for being such fantastic enablers!

Yes, it really is a shame that I have to take up another house, isn't it?

And whatever will happen when my ebay buys arrive and they aren't perfect? So sad to have to re-shop.

*Muahahahaha*

You read my mind, Havanaholly -- I have been thinking that Porkerina needs a roommate. I've been dropping hints to my husband about Popo the fennec for my birthday on Saturday, but I don't think I was blatant enough. Might just have to wait until the next issue of Alice and get another piggy, then, I suppose. :Dr_Evil:

I took my trip to Austin today to pick up the RGT Newport. Damn, is that thing heavy. If this one isn't big enough for Alice, with all those rooms plus a usable roof, I'm totally boned. Once I figure out what glue will work, I'll be in business (tacky glue just isn't cutting it at the moment, nor is wood glue). I have a feeling this one will go together lickety split, once the painting is knocked out. Looks like another trip to Home Depot is in order! Hooray!

How long does it usually take for items to ship from miniatures.com? I'm already chomping for the Adams and the Trailer.

How long does it usually take for items to ship from miniatures.com?
I always order online & orders have never taken more than threee or four days to ship; but I only live about an 8-hour drive from Atlanta, GA.
You read my mind, Havanaholly -- I have been thinking that Porkerina needs a roommate. I've been dropping hints to my husband about Popo the fennec for my birthday on Saturday, but I don't think I was blatant enough. Might just have to wait until the next issue of Alice and get another piggy
Popo is cute, however I'm reading Michael Crichton's Next and I'm just not sure about these cross-species relationships...

This is one reason why I tell people they should buy the house first and then pick the furniture that fits it (Hey no one every listens to me....Sheesh, Even I don't and have boxes of furniture that don't fit my houses :Dr_Evil:)

Looks like you have been bitten hard by the mini bug though so Welcome to the Fun!!

I always order online & orders have never taken more than threee or four days to ship; but I only live about an 8-hour drive from Atlanta, GA.Popo is cute, however I'm reading Michael Crichton's Next and I'm just not sure about these cross-species relationships...

Hmmm, those cross-species relationships are a slippery slope, aren't they? Much to consider. :Dr_Evil:

Your little piggy house is so cute, the colors are awesome! I don't think it's a tragedy at all (btw- I have an RGT house and the rooms are far too small for my furniture, too!)

Ruh roh. Which one is it? I've been hoping that the Newport will be big enough!

This is one reason why I tell people they should buy the house first and then pick the furniture that fits it (Hey no one every listens to me....Sheesh, Even I don't and have boxes of furniture that don't fit my houses :Dr_Evil:)

Looks like you have been bitten hard by the mini bug though so Welcome to the Fun!!

Haha, as long as you don't always follow your own advice!

I actually waited to buy the stuff for my Orchid until the shell was made, so I haven't even got that excuse! Must just be the Orchid's flaw. :lol:

Sounds like some great stuff comming!!! If you wanted a house that goes up how about a beacon hill?? You could always add a multi level basement (to any house) Just a thought. Your orchid looks great!! Did you use paint for the roof? Could you use a book case and bash it? Make the outside with bricks windows etc. Just a thought. :lol:

Sounds like some great stuff comming!!! If you wanted a house that goes up how about a beacon hill?? You could always add a multi level basement (to any house) Just a thought. Your orchid looks great!! Did you use paint for the roof? Could you use a book case and bash it? Make the outside with bricks windows etc. Just a thought. :lol:

Thanks for the compliments!

The roof is done in Hammered Copper spraypaint, which gives it a very cool texture.

I probably could bash the dickens out of the orchid, but I'm just not feeling it. I like it how it is too much, I think.

And I'm still trying to decide on which "big" house I'll be getting. The BH is in the running, for sure. Just can't quite decide.

Thankfully, my Adams, trailer, and village arrived today, so I will have plenty of distractions while the windows and trim of my Newport dry. Still haven't picked out a color for the clapboard, but I've kind of decided to donate it to my kiddo's school auction, so perhaps pink would be the most pleasing to the hordes of little girls in our district.

Lots more photographs added to my gallery -- Aside from staining the furniture and dressing the bed, and perhaps swapping some things out once others arrive, I'm happy with how it has turned out. I have decided against the gingerbread trim, though it is all prepped and painted white, should I change my mind later on. Overall, I'm pleased, and excited to start on the next one.

• 1 month later...