Hi from Cranbrook Ontario

John

Hi everyone I am john from Cranbrook Ontario. I am a retired carpenter due to an injury about 6 1/2 years ago so i now spend most of my time building one of a kind minature houses but they are for birds.

I call them Extreme Birdhouses and they are all made from reclaimed barn wood. I have built 33 of them so far . They range from 2ft up to 9 ft wide http://community.webshots.com/user/cranbrook2

One problem i have always had is try to find anything miniature for them so i usually make do with what i have.

I am hoping this site can help me in many ways.

I also just became a grandpa to a beautiful little girl 6 months ago so i am also interested in building a few doll houses .

I Look forward to meeting new people and learning whatever i can and it is a pleasure to be here.

219894558.jpg

296075648.jpg

Thanks

john

Welcome to the forum "family", John, it's a great place to hang out and exchange ideas. Your birdhouses are palatial! I can only imagine what you'll build your granddaughter! Our newest will be One on 2/1.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. :D

My father is from Switzerland and i remember when i was a little boy he showed me pictures of some miniatures in a theme park in Switzerland and i have been hooked ever since.

Hi Kathie and thank you . I get mostly sparrows and swallows in the large houses and Purple Martins in the small houses . It just depends on the size of the nest and hole size.

I was looking in your gallery and you have done a lot of nice work . Do you make everything from scratch or are there kits that you can buy? Also what would be the scale of them?

This birdhouse is my largest house , it is 9 ft wide and just over 8 ft tall. It has 14 roofs , 32 dormers and 103 apartments. It is made from 150 year old barn wood.

288580417.jpg

287885533.jpg

293360916.jpg

HI John! I love the little furries on the porches. Great houses, great photos! :yes:

Most dollhouse kits are 1:12 scale, one inch equaling one foot in real life; there are others half that big, 1:24 or half-inch scale. All of my houses started as 1:12 scale, but the houseboat was bashed into 1:24 scale. I got this weird idea to put a two-story high ballroom on the boat, and it just wouldn't have worked in the original scale!

As you look through the galleries and blogs, you'll see many different houses that mostly began as kits. If you click on the Greenleaf logo at the top of the frame, you can check out the kits made under the Greenleaf and Corona Concepts labels. Lots of people start with a kit but bash them to suit ... larger rooms, extra rooms, higher ceilings, upper porches. Also change out/upgrade windows, change (or leave out) stairways.

I look forward to learning what you choose to begin. :)

BTW, if you're thinking first to do one for your baby granddaughter, you might want to think about making a smaller (2-4 room) child-friendly house. Reinforce the construction, leave out the acetate in the windows, use a washable paint inside instead of wallpaper, leave off delicate trim, make furniture from a Greenleaf furniture kit (it's sturdy!), etc. Then you can start on the palace you'll want to make for her when she gets older, with more delicate decor and furnishings. :D

Thank you Kathie i will take a look at them . I also build 1" - 12" on my birdhouses.

Thank you Michele for the nice welcome. We are in the middle of a blizzard here right now . I just had a 30 ft tree branch snap in my front yard from high winds .It,s about - 10 here now and everything is closed today.

We had Blizzard conditions here last night and today the schools are closed because of the Wind chill being -27 and the actual temperature was -5

This birdhouse is my largest house , it is 9 ft wide and just over 8 ft tall. It has 14 roofs , 32 dormers and 103 apartments. It is made from 150 year old barn wood.

That is HUGE!! But it's so beautiful! I never thought of a birdhouse mansion :) I can't wait to see your dollhouse! Your Birdhouses is only a glimpse at what you will accomplish!! :yes:

Thanks again Tracy , I used to build real houses for 20 years until i was injured so building a doll house should be pretty easy for me but i have no experience in doing the rest of it as far as the interior and decorating goes . I only wish my house looked half as nice as some of these houses on this site. They are certainly a labour of love and beautifully detailed.

I cant wait to build a doll house for my granddaughter , she is still too young now but it gives me lots of time to create something special for her.

I have built a couple of birdhouses that went down in your area and i will be sending 10 more down to your state in June.

john

Hi John, and welcome to the forum. Your birdhouses are magnificent! Oh, to be a birdie tenant in one. :yes: I'm sure that your dollhouses will also be stunning - you have so much experience (full size houses, and birdhouses). What a lucky granddaughter!

I'm sure that we will learn many things from you - and hopefully, you will pick up some useful things here too. This is a haven full of wonderful people, with inspiration and helpful advice in abundance!

It's cold here, too. We had freezing rain overnight, and the school buses were cancelled. Even for the high school that my daughter attends - and it usually stays open when all the other schools are closed! Plus, this is exam week - so you know it must be bad out.