First Doll house

lilsparky

Sometime before the weekend is over I'm going to start my Primrose - first doll house.

Have been reading for days, there is so much great information and this forum has been a wonderful starting point.

Will have lots of questions, and here's the first:

What's the best way to seal everything? I've read about Shellac and denatured alcohol, and not too crazy about using that indoors this time of year. Will be painting or wall papering everything (siding and shingling exterior I'm thinking).

Thanks

I use gesso for priming. I usually thin it down so as not to create too much build-up, but in places where the wood is a bit rough, I use it thicker. It fills in and makes a nice, smooth surface. Lazy [wo]man's sanding ... :)

I only sand what I am going to 'finish'. I seldom sand the outside of a house since I just cover it anyway with stucco or siding. I sand the inside as smooth as I can then just use interior paint primer and paint the whole thing. I wallpaper over the paint just like I do with my real house. For floors I stain with regular wood stain and then use urethane to seal.

What's the best way to seal everything?

I used Ultra Low Odor Kilz. It's oil based, so I bought loads of cheap little sponge brushes that I could throw away rather than trying to clean them. Good luck.

Back before I scribed & stained my floors I sealed EVERYTHING with Deft clear sanding sealer. Now after the dry fit I stain whatever I'm going to stain and then seal it, prime the ceilings and work on the ceiling treatments and then start building; then I prime and then paint or wallpaper the inside, finish the outside and decorate.