Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

heidiiiii

I was able to save most of my veggie garden from the roofers. It couldnt be helped. They had to completely tear the roof off of our porch, and directly below was the garden.

The peppers are looking kinda iffy but I will coddle them and maybe buy some backups just in case.

Strawberries are starting to ripen. I have picked only 2 so far but there are alot of them on the plants. Tomatoes are coming up great...I am hoping for a bumper crop this year. Most of the radishes hit the skids but I just replanted some more seeds so it is not a total loss.

How is everyone elses gardens doing so far?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we left I stripped our old jalapeno bush; DH threatened to rip it up & toss it (it's .10 years old!) and it has been bearing like mad. I cleaned out all the old cherry tomato vines and just left what the sire "towers" could accommodate; they were beginning to blossom but no toms yet. I'm definitely pulling the rest of them up and going for Romas or plums when we get back.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading the paper today I came across a phrase I havent heard in a very long time. Victory Garden. My dad used to talk about the one his Mom had during the Depression.

Now they are saying there is a new resurgence of people growing their own victory gardens because of the economy.

Back then, they wanted people to grow their own because then the US growers could send their produce to the soldiers overseas.

uncle-sam-victory-garden.jpg

My Victory garden is doing very well so far. I have been harvesting beans lately. Most of the strawberries are done. Next year I think I will plant more of the beans to have more to freeze.

Everything else is growing wonderfully. No major bug or blight problems and everything is steadily growing.

I am definitely going to plant alot more next year. There are bare spots where something could be growing.

How is everyone elses veggies doing so far??

Ours is going well. DH is tired of yellow squash though. lol They have been feeding all six of us regularly. My beans keep turning yellow. A neighbor said something is missing in the soil not sure what though. The strawberries are still going and the cucumbers are doing well. The tomatoes need work but that's my fault. Dh said he wants to plant a much bigger garden next year. Hopefully by then we will have a little extra cash so I can get some good fertilizer and a few sprinklers.

It will be a few more weeks before we have any produce, we're only just starting to get warmer weather over here, but we're doing quite well for our first attempt, all the plants are thriving. So far we have tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes, rhubarb, melons, strawberries, peppers, butternut squash, pumpkins, marrows, peas, leeks and carrots. Next year we're planning to add some fruit bushes and trees!

my tomatoes are doing well - 2 cherry/grape plants, one beefstake and 2 other midsized - just starting to get little green ones. pole beans taking off - i do pole beans instead of bush type since they take up less space. baby peach tree has a few peaches, baby apple tree a few apples, no pears, though. i'll probably be dead before that are mature enough to have big crops. lots of rasberries coming along. and mammoth sunflowers for the birds are growing too. next year i hope to find a little more space to grow peas (edible pod type) but my yard is full and i have dug up most of the lawn already for gardens. i envy you all with more space. would love to grow corn again, but no room.

• 4 weeks later...
Poor little eggplants, there they lay, smiling their happy smiles, little dreaming the terrible fate that awaits them.

hehehehe

I have one more I am going to pick today and these poor lil souls will be roasted into babaganoosh! Yummy! They will perish for a noble cause.

I added more pictures in my gallery of my garden. Please excuse the weedy mess. Having a couple heat waves back to back made it hard for me to keep up. I am keeping the weeds away from the plants itself but otherwise I have lost that battle this year.

I also have a perennial tuber plant posted that I forgot the name of. Do any of you remember what the name of this plant is?

I know I have to dig the tubers up in the fall and store them in sawdust in the house until the spring.

As you can tell the Japanese beetles were making a feast out of it in the heat. I took care of the buggers!

I also have a perennial tuber plant posted that I forgot the name of. Do any of you remember what the name of this plant is?

Heidi, It is a canna bulb. Ads such a nice tropical accent to a northern garden. Rita

• 3 weeks later...

Can you say bumper crop?

The tomatoes (beefsteak and heirloom) are coming in like gangbusters. I have 3 on the vine now that are bigger then the one I posted before.

Eggplants are coming in steadily. Greenbeans are still producing. I have peppers on the plants but waiting for the to grow and ripen to their colors (red and yellow).

The summer squash and the zucchini are a bust. Something killed the plants. I will read up more and try again next year in another spot. I have to rotate anyway because of the tomatoes.

How is your garden doing?

Congrats on a great crop Heidi, ours is just dwindling (sp???) away really, mostly thanks to use being away in the midst of summer and not wanting to plant things in the veggie garden that we couldn't tend to ourselves and we didn't want to burden my PILs with that either, but the herbal garden/bed is doing wonderfully...

We will have to deal with getting rid of our plum tree this fal as the latest "storm" sort of broke it, or moved it a "little", ie enouggh for it to lean towards the house just a teensy bit... So that will have to go, but we will replace it with an apple tree though.

Hugs

• 3 weeks later...

End of the season...How did everybody do?

The tomatoes are still coming in nicely. The string beans are done, eggplants have 3 more I am waiting to harvest, the peppers have a few more I want to get bigger. Squash and zucchini were a absolute bust. Not a single veg from the whole bunch. I think something killed it.

I want to work on the veggie beds when it gets cooler. I had to deal with alot of quack grass in them. Going to fork thru and pull out as many roots as I can. Cover the area with mulch and leaves and wait for next year. The heirloom tomatoes were a big hit with us and the neighbors!

I have these ones called Black Prince that I am waiting to ripen on the vine..they are going to be sooo good.

heirloom_tom.jpg

Ideally the canna foliage is killed by frost before digging. But you can just cut off the foliage about 3-4 inches above the bulb. Place them in a box, not touching and cover with peat moss with the crowns peeking out. Store them at about 45 degrees temp. During the winter you will want to check them if they are shriveling or look like they are drying out mist them with water. Toss any that show signs of rot. Rita