Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

heidiiiii

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll go with baby plants this year as we will be away for a full week and that would probably kill all if any seedlings off...

Keeping fingers crossed for your seedlings to show real soon, it is so much fun to see the first glimpse of the yellowy-gree stalks

Hugs

Here is a question now..

Two of the three types of tomatoes now have shoots up. One set hasnt shown anything yet but I am not worried about that. They just may take a lil longer to come up.

Do I take the top off now? Do I leave it on because of the ones that havent sprouted? Off some part of the day and on at other part of the day? Or do I keep the top off all together.

The sprouts have 2 leaves.

Where they are on the fridge is right near a overhead light. Should I keep that light on even during the day..I know it isnt a grow light..but I guess every bit of light can help.

When I did mine and some had sprouted and some not I offset the lid closest to the ones that had sprouted. Meaning they ones that had not sprouted were still covered but the ones that had were able to get fresh air. They were still covered but I thought it would help them not mold. Once the majority of them had sprouted I took the cover off. I still had some sprout even after I took the cover off. I don't know about the light I never used one. Mine are just by the window.

can you take off the lid but cover the unsprouted pots with some Saran wrap or something similar?

About the light ... I'd turn it off when it's naturally dark out. The seedlings may get leggy if they're trying to grow toward the light. Plants respond to light and dark. Probably best to keep them on a schedule.

I followed your advice Kathi and put Saran Wrap over the ones that havent sprouted. I checked on them this morning and some of them have! Yeah!

The others are growing nicely. I told everyone not to touch the light during the day and I turn it off around 5pm for the rest of the night.

I am going to spritz them later on this morning.

You all dont understand how great this is. If this works...I will be doing perennials next year!

Gave the babies a spritz today and pulled out the extra seedlings so that there are only one in each cell.

All are looking good. No rot or wilt to be seen....so far. I am baby-ing the stuffing out of these seeds.

They are still going strong. No dead ones yet or dying ones...I say yet because I am thinking of what I have went thru in the past.

They do not have second leaves yet though. But they are growing.

How is everyone else`s babies doing?

Yeah!

Some of them are starting to grow a second set of leaves! I have never gotten this far before. How long do I wait before I plant them in seperate pots?

I do not want to kill the progress now but just wondering when they will start to get to BIG for their little homes.

Have you thought about starting another set of seeds? There's still time, and it will extend harvest time if you have plants maturing at various intervals. (Also backups, in case one set of seedlings buys the farm.)

Dear Heidi,

Glad to hear everything is going well. DH says to transplant now. He would be transplanting into milk cartons, or a 4" pot. The reason he likes the milk cartons is because they are deeper than most pots, and you can just cut the carton apart when you put them in the garden. Plant them so that the soil is about 2/3 of the way up the stem. This is when people seem to have a tendency to over water, so watch the weight of the pots. Tomatoes and other plants as well have a tendency to lean to the light, so watch that they are growing straight, and give them a turn if you notice they are leaning. Keep us posted.

Shirley

Already ahead of your Dh on that one! I have been turning them everyday. I am going to go to Home Depot today and get some more soil. I do not have any milk cartons but I have tons of plastic containers from past plantings...I knew I was saving them for a reason!

Crossing fingers!

I have tons of plastic containers from past plantings...I knew I was saving them for a reason!

Be sure to wash the pots well with a 10% solution of bleach. You never know where those l'il plants have been! :D

It has been 2 days. I checked on the new transplants this morning and only one has died. The rest are fine. Standing tall in front of a window and they have a light directly above them. They are not leaning anymore.