12/21/05 Addiction

Minis On The Edge

Umm. Well, I kinda got the hint between the second and the third house, when Jimmy yelled at me for losing a bid on ebay and told me I was being too stingy with money. But, when we would finish one, and then get all fidgety, then I knew. So, probably about 6 months.

I suspected I was becoming addicted when DGD & her dad hauled off the San Franciscan I built for her & I began begging DH for a kit "for me". That was many kits ago. but the Glencroft pub is only the second one I'm keeping (so far).

When I ordered the second house before the first one was delivered. And put a rush delivery on the second one so it got here two days before the first one arrived. :D The third and fourth and fifth arrived before I was finished building the second one.

Deb

There really is something to be said about that feeling you get when you open a new box!!!

Im not sure if I can discribe it.

would that make me addicted?

coz it was bad the first time I opend a box.

I did nothing but build that house I finished it in 3 weeks.

now this was before I found the forums and learned that you can do something about the slots and tabs.(woodfill)

and also since it is 1/2 scale and I knew NOTHING of scrapbooking either the walls are just painted.

I was almost disapointed when I finished and would have been if I wasnt sooooo thrilled to have built myself a dollhouse!! :( ;) :D

I use it for my Avon furniture. I like the way it fits in there.

plzzz tell me....is this addiction?

:D :o

How long it took me to undrstand it I were hooked? Hmm, about five minutes after I had opened the present from my PILs containing the first roombox and loads of goodies to go in it and I just wanted another one right away since the mind started spinning with the possibiities of mini rooms of all sorts. :( I watned to make so many mini scenes I started sketching them and putting them in a file and I put dates on those sketches as well and after about a week or so I had more than a dozen of sketches so it didn't take me long to see this were the right hobby for me LOL

There really is something to be said about that feeling you get when you open a new box!!!

Im not sure if I can discribe it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know what you mean Nutti, I am going throught that phase right now. DH is working today and since the school's holiday started yesterday, guess who is petting (veeery carefully though, I don't want any splinters ;) )away at the haunted house sheets of wood??? I know I shouldn't start anything right now since We are about to have huuuge re-organizing changing my crat room to a room upstairs in stead and some RL size re-moelling to do but it is ever so tempting. I have how ever made some progress with the Aster Cottage, and am awaiting some spindles for the rail upstairs to dry before I can move on with that.

would that make me addicted?

plzzz tell me....is this addiction?

:o  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, a tough question :D but yup I am pretty sure it does LOL In a good way that is!!!! An addiction doesn't have to bad does it? I certainly hope so atleast!

Ok about time to go check on those spindles and rail to see if they are dry yet or I will end up with green marks on my thumb :D Not very paintent when it comes to await glue or paint to dry.

Hugs

I think I was addicted after re-doing my house for Amanda's seventh birthday....and we had a birthday party called 'open dollhouse' where the children could bring their favorite doll, stuffed animal, or action figure to 'visit' the dollhouse..the invitations were sent to the favorite doll or stuffed animal of the child, and another invitation, smaller, a picture of a dollhouse, was for the child. People really loved the invitations and the idea of Open Dollhouse. The children were not really so much required to bring a present as to bring their favorite toy to play dollhouse with Amanda on her birthday. Planning that birthday present and party made me addicted, and also made me remember what it was like to play dollhouse when I was seven years old..........so I then bought BOTH the buttercup AND the glencroft.........then the sugarplum, then the primrose, and so on.... :D

..........so I then bought BOTH the buttercup AND the glencroft.........then the sugarplum, then the primrose, and so on.... :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like you had a great seventh B-day for your daughter and I bet it is one she will remember for ever and ever?!?

And I can surley understand you starting out like that, an innocent party, and then all of a sudden end up with all these new lovley houses just awaiting you to build them and deocrate them LOL

Hugs

Okay, I knew I was addicted the minute I picked up the Beacon Hill from the curb on garbage day and ran home with it smiling and snickering all the way! :o If picking garbage doesn't make a person addicted, I don't know what does! :D

Now I've built the Haunted House, next in line is the Buttercup/Canterbury and then the Willowcrest and then the . . . well, you get the idea!! :(

I've only got my Beacon Hill and an ebay house that I've bought to refurbish.

My problem is that I have enough furniture, accessories, and dolls to fill about 10 more houses!!!! My oh my. I'd decorate our bookcases, but they're filled with books and my dh's trains!!!

Susanne

Well about six months ago I decided I was going to build the Country Victorian whether dh liked it or not. ( it had only been sitting under the bed for about 2 years. :D ) I pretty much new then.

By the way Cat you are not alone in spending more for a mini thing than a reallife thing. I am glad I am not alone! :o

I knew I was addicted as soon as I started to buid my Beacon Hill. I was afraid to start it for about a year after I got it. So many pieces and directions. But as soon as I glued that foundation together I knew I was hooked.

Cat, I do the same thing, but I usually buy 2. In case I need another one later and can't find it again!

terri

My problem is that I have enough furniture, accessories, and dolls to fill about 10 more houses!!!!  My oh my.

Susanne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL Susanne! I have the same problem! If it's really a problem that is! Whenever I see a good sale, I stock up. I have enough furniture to fill at least 5 more houses!

Yes Linda, I have a Beacon Hill. My first house. I've never finished it, never took any pictures, and haven't touched it for over a year maybe longer. I love the house, but I have learned so much since I started it, I know when I do get near it I'm going to rip it apart and start it all over again. I did bash the tower. I cut an opening in the back and put lathe walls in and made it an attic.

Maybe I'll get him to take some pictures over the holidays and post them. I'm getting the urge to shift some things around and make space in the shop and work on it again.

terri

I love the house, but I have learned so much since I started it, I know when I do get near it I'm going to rip it apart and start it all over again.

oh That is how I feel about my Granville.

:)

If picking garbage doesn't make a person addicted, I don't know what does!  :)

<cackle> I think you've defined addiction very, very well Teresa! :lol: But for the treasure you found, it would be worth sifting thru coffee grounds and banana peels.

Deb

I realized I was addicted when I was willing to pay more for an item in miniature than I was willing to pay for it's real life counter part. :)

<cackle, choke, snerkle> Truer words were never spoken! One word: Bespaq. :lol: :lol: :D

Deb

Back when Michaels sold Dura Craft kits, I would go there and stare at the Farmhouse 505. When hubby was with me, I all ways made sure he saw me looking at it :D . Well, they had a coupon one week that was 50% off 1 item so hubby finally said "yes" I could get it. We started on it and because we had NO space at that time I decided to get something smaller and I was watching HSN and Greenleaf (Falls Diecut at that time) were on and they assembled the Arthur in 30 minutes :) :lol: . I said "Hey I can do that" :D .

I was sold and ordered that and a tiffany kit LOL. Back then, I worked at a school and a large percentage of the kids were either foster children or living with there grandparents or lived only with one parent and though I did not celebrate X-mas, starting in Novemeber, I would give some of the kids dollhouses and the boys would get Power Rangers (Which was a hot toy then :D ).

I got hooked because I knew I brought a smile not only to there faces but I knew I had touched some hearts too. Through my years working there, I gave away over 20 dollhouses. We (the staff at the school) used to buy clothes and coats for these kids because a lot of these families just did not have money. I did not make much money back then but, with the group of us buying stuff together, we were able to give those kids what Christmas symbolize for some and that is hope. :lol: The winter is cold up here and to see them with out proper clothing for outside was hard to watch and do nothing about.

I gave a house to my uncle when they were gonna adopt a daughter (turned out to be a son LOL) but I must say, that one did not get me addicted looking back on it. I think what got me hooked was bringing joy to so many little faces. I think that is why it took so long for me to actually buy and build a house for "me".

We live in one of the poorest, if not THE poorest, counties in an otherwise rich state, and I love to find "homes" for the dollhouses I build. Because many of the families are proud, I'll charge them the cost of the kit so I can afford to buy another should someone want a house for their child/ grand/ greatgrand.

We live in one of the poorest, if not THE poorest, counties in an otherwise rich state, and I love to find "homes" for the dollhouses I build.  Because many of the families are proud, I'll charge them the cost of the kit so I can afford to buy another should someone want a house for their child/ grand/ greatgrand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What a wonderful gift for a child. Isn't it wonderful when we can share something that we have, whether it's a blessing of financial wealth, a talent, or a heart that will listen.

I am so loving these stories.

Another story of my addiction. I knew that I was addicted when I'd received an ebay package, and on doing inventory, discovered one of the items wasn't there. I literally dug through the kitchen garbage ... coffee grounds and all until I found the item. My dh was horrified. He knew he had a mini junkie on his hands!!

Susanne

I would guess I've always been fascinated by dollhouses and miniatures since I was a small child. I have dreamed about it for years. The addiction didn't start until I actually bought the first one and since then have been like a crazy woman about buying//dreaming/planning. I didn't include building so much because I just plain don't have enough time to devote to it as I would like. Oh, to be independently wealth and have nothing but time!!! :)

Debbie