Hi

Lizard

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the messages of welcome that I have received!

My Name is Liz.and I live in New Zealand. (So any suggesgtions on how to cut the freight bills will be greatfully received) I have been looking to build a Dollhouse for a while, but had to wait until the real house that we have self built was finished (well nearly) but hey with decisions to be made, purchasing and shipping to be taken into account, it could be finished before the first kit arrives! I'm already learing to justify my purchases!

I was going to build the BH, but my husband has suggested that I start with a couple of smaller ones, just to see if I (and he) likes doing them! Then he has seen the lighthouse and wants to now if I could include that in my order! Something about my village needing a lighthouse, now that its by the sea! Teenage son saw a site with the haunted house, he thinks that it's him!

This was going to be my hobby (with a bit of help) but it could turn into a family affair at this rate!

Regards

Liz.

Oh Building with your family must be great fun too!

Have you decided which of the options/houses it is going to be?

Ha, maybe that requires a family meeting :)

It is nice that you have found us, the mini mad people,

Hi and :) to the group!

Starting with smaller houses is a smart thing to do. We started with quite a large house (the Lily) but 1/4th the way in, I was already addicted :D

The Beacon Hill is gorgeous and fierce as we all know but, it's a big job! You can do it though, and it's worth it!

Hello Liz and :)

When my father and I decided to build my dollhouse together many moons ago it was to be the only one...so I had to choose carefully! It would have been so much fun to try a smaller build first, then go for the BIG house. 26 years later a Pierce in need of some serious TLC shows up in my living room ( :D ), and I found this site.. Now I too lust after he Beacon Hill! What FUN that your whole family wants to get involved, and I LOVE that it was your husband's suggestion to build a few smaller ones first! (That's a man any of us here would hang onto for dear life! LOL)

Hey Liz, thanks for the email. Yes the kiwis are few and far between. I knock exactly which house your son was talking about, I was only just looking at that this morning, and am very very tempted to purchase it. I was up late last night constructing my first real little mini - I am making out outhouse, it looks a bit silly but it is starting to take shape :). I am currently in Auckland, but am moving to Christchurch with my son and hubby on Thursday, very nervous but very excited too!

Welcome! Looks like some fun times for you both. My husband helps me a lot with my building, too. He really "got into" the Brimble, and I'll catch him admiring it from time to time, now that it's done! :)

Welcome to the forum - perhaps your husband would like to join us, too! I think it must be such fun to have the whole family working together on minis. Please share the ups and downs as you all go along!

Welcome to the forum!

its so nice to have you with us.

so the Hubby thinks you need to do a couple of smaller kits first....

well isnt he a keeper!!

I do hope you will share with us your building experience. we do so enjoy the EYEcandy

do you know which kits you will start with?

nutti :)

Yoohoo, Glen, some more Kiwis!!!

Oops, sorry, welcome to the forum family, Liz. I assume your son referred to the haunted Beacon Hill one of the other Holly members built (there are a few of us, I'm holly, not the one who built the haunted BH). I like your DH's attitude, by all means begin small & work your way up. Since you're building your 1:1 scale house, too, you can add onto it as you build more & more kits.

(Look out, Marg, Liz may wind up with more kits than you have!.. Nah, I guess not)

Boy am I in trouble.....(With the Hubby).

Have read the comments on the forum to him. He's was not too happy that I've told the "world" well at least 3,000 people that he has offered to help me!

Na, he's really ok about it now (have found picutres and blog comments from other husbands who help). So he's not the only one. I might need to mention that nothing much upsets hubby, he has a great sense of humour (and living with me he would have too)....

He has suggested that I change my name to Lizard & her Keeper. - It does conjure up a mental picutre that could go places! (Dollhouse wise).

The houses That I would like to get to start with are: Buttercup, Orchid,Conventry, Storybook, Sugarplum & Arthur.... 6 intotal. Now that should keep me/us busy for a while!

But now comes the bit that I have seen them on several sites, and at drifferent prices, so I really need to work out the best deal for getting them over to here. Also now that I have spent 4 hours today on this site, I see that in April a certain site has 50% off, so I should get some now to start with, then wait until then for more, then I went on another site, and they have some DH at 50% off, but none that I want! Some sites will not send overseas, and other will only air courier, and then the costs are thru the roof so to speak! Then there is the fact that if I get so much at once, I'm not sure what our customs/tax depatment will do to me with import tax, best I look into that as well!

So I will keep in touch, and try and figure out how to get the best deal for me so I can build my dreams!

Welcome Liz! Although I can't help you with overseas shipping prices, I've heard that Greenleaf is very reasonable. You might want to contact their customer service department to see what the shipping costs would be to you and compare that to other places that have the "deals".

You have picked some really cute houses to start with! I can't wait to see what you decide to buy and build first :photo: