Harold Gray House

aggiemae

I got info on the Woodline house I was offered. It is a replica of Harold Gray's house. Harold Gray is the creator of Little Orphan Annie. The full sized house is actually called the LeRoy house. It weighs 30 pounds and is a tab and slot but has premade trim and the window fittings are pine. The person is not sure all the pieces are there but the schmatic and insrtuctions are so I figured I could manage. We are trying to work out shipping so hopefully I will know pretty quick if I can have it.

This house just landed in my email as part of my search for free and low cost dollhouses for my class.

Sort of off the subject, but then this is my post... Last time I had a hard time getting ten kids into the class. Middle schoolers are so synical. This time 15 kids have signed up already and 7 of the 10 from the last class want to come again. I found someone to help now I am hunting down houses. Hopefully next year i will have some funding and can buy a batch from Greenleaf.

The house has not arrived but I did find a copy of the instructions. It is made of 3/8 birch pine except the flors which are hard board. It needs to be glued and nailed in some places, but has tabs like the Duracraft quick build MDF houses. I found a blurry photo of the actual house on line, it is called the LaRoy House after the Origional owner. The kit has an upstairs porch but the house doesn't, at least not in the photo. The kit is from the mid 1960's so who know what changes have happened. Other than this it looks like the same house. I do not know if it is a public buliding or still privatly owned but I have the address and I hope I can get some pictures of the inside or at least better pictures of the outside!

It sounds like the children are talking about how much fun the class is to take. I wish you luck with funding and continued success on this project. It is wonderful for the children to learn new skills and I know from myself the sense of accomplishment when something looks great. Or on the other hand problem solving skills that can be learned from mistakes. How many houses did you get already and do the children have any fund raiser activities to help with the costs?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I finally got the house the first week of April. It has at least one million parts and about 2 pages of instructions with tiny pictures. No wonder it was never built.

I have three houses in the works (alas I find that I need to earn money) after these, I will finish the Brookwood becasue I have purchased or made most of the interior furnishings and want to see what it will look like! So... it might be a while for this one.

A couple of days ago I wrote to the address of the actual home and asked if the could take some close up pictures and email them to me. I hope they do as all the pictures I have are from a distance and most are black and white. There are some awkward lines and I am hoping seeing the actually house will help me to understand them. But then again, it was a house built by a doctor and his son at a point in history when it was not uncommon to build a house without a carpenter (or even a blue print!). If the current owner does not respond I am hoping that my SIL will drive out and take some pictures for me. The actual house is just outside Chicago