I'm new

zoear

Hi Everyone, I am new here and also new to building a dollhouse. I had no idea it would be this overwhelming. I read a lot of posts and learned alot. The one question for now that i need to understand is what kind of paint to use on the house. Is it ok to use Acrylic paint that you get in craft stores in 2oz bottles? Any suggestions would be very helpful. We will be building The Lily. Thankyou

Hi Zoe, the Lily was my first build, but it was for me. LOL Some people do use the acrylic paints, I've used regular house paint--semi gloss.

Also, use wood or tacky glue instead of hot glue for a better hold.

I have used a variety of paints and I really like the acrylic craft store paints. I have used good quality home paints with a water based primer and artists acrylic paints but I like the craft paints best - the Americana paints by DecoArt amongst others. (I know that many will disagree).

Lisa R.

I'm also on my first dh and haven't painted the exterior yet. I've been convinced that regular house paint.. latex satin finish.. can have it mixed to any color you want. I have used craft paint on wood projects and that seems like it would be ok for the dh's too... But seein' how my family owns a hardware store w/ a paint dept., I'll have my paint custom mixed.,,, with my discount of course!!

Welcome to our "little" family, Zoe. You can use whatever kind of paint works best for you. I would prime, first, because wood sucks up the moisture and you'll wind up using many coats of paint! I like the little sample interior paints like Benjamin Moore and Ace Hardware put out. When I use acrylic paints (to paint my dolls, etc) I use the basic colors straight from the tube & mix my own colors, and with a lot of pastels I'll mix the tube colors with the white interior latex I use as a primer.

Hi Zoe, and welcome! :)

I prime with a flat white latex house paint, and then I use the craft paints. I often mix the colours, and use white latex in the mix if I want a particular pastel that I don't already have. A quick tip - if you're mixing your own colour and will need to cover a large area - make plenty, and keep it in a margarine tub so that you won't run out of the paint. It's not so easy to mix the exact same shade again!