One of my furkids is sick...

uppitycats

Ann, I'm so glad to hear your furbaby is feeling better. Napoleon sends nose nuzzles to him and lots of sympathy about the medication. The only way I can get meds down him is to wrap him in a towel like a burrito and use the syringe to squirt it down his throat. There have been occasions when I've had to clean the medication off the ceiling.

Deb

Ann I'm happy to hear that TabbyGrey is feeling better too. My kitties had to take the thick liquid antibiotics also, the one didn't mind but the other, oh boy, I had to wear a raincoat when I gave it to him because he spit most of it back onto me. :hmm:

:p Yep, giving a cat a pill is much like it's described above! I swear the little buggers grow extra arms legs and claws JUST for the occasion! :hmm:

TabbyGrey continues to improve..both in health and in diversion when it is med time. Hadda drag him out of the closet this morning: he was sleeping peacefully on the bed when we snuck out to the refrigerator for the meds. By the time we got back, he was in the farthest darkest corner of the most cluttered closet.

At least the closet's been tidied up a bit! :o

And yes, I've seen cats scarf down a bowl of tuna and leave behind all the teeny bits of pill. We had one cat that would APPEAR to take in the pill, APPEAR to swallow..and then when you'd turn your back, she'd daintily spit it out! :o

And then there was Patch...a huge (overweight huge) black and white tom cat. We'd call, "Here, Patch!! A treat!!!" and he'd come running, mouth open. Drop in the pill, he'd swallow...then give us a funny look, like.."hey, THAT tasted weird!!!!" But then, next time the pill was due, he'd come running :)

Cats. Gotta love 'em! :p

Glad to hear Tabby Gray is on the mend.

I had a horse that could detect the smallest pill stuck into an apple. He'd turn the apple into slobbery applesauce, seeds and all, and smiling as he was downing it. And when he was finished, the pill (which was not much larger than an apple seed) would be on his lower lip. Pffffft --- and on the ground. The only thing that worked was to crush the pill, mix it with molasses, and spread it on a piece of bread. Apparently the strong taste of the molasses and his love of sweets overcame his aversion to the taste of the pill.

And then there was the cat who fell for the carrot cube every single time. I'd flip a piece and she'd go after it every time. Same scenario repeated almost endlessly ... pick it up, drop it, give me a dirty look, and go find hubby to complain. :hmm:

Animals are such fun!

Ann, i'm glad to hear that your furry baby is getting better. I can empathize with giving meds to a cat.

I have a cat that was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome. It's been about 6 or 7 years now. Her initial problems were retreating off by herself (i was living alone with just the one cat at the time so it was very noticeable). she obviously wasn't feeling well, nose warm to the touch etc... i took her to the vet and they did tests and said that she had an intestinal blockage. They did dye tests so they were able to see where the blockage was. They tried giving her medicine but the blockage wouldn't pass. So they had to do surgery and remove the blockage. They did a full thickness biopsy while they were in there, so they know for sure what the disease is. So she's been on steroids ever since. I give her 1/2 tablet every other day. Boy can she be hard to catch. I try to vary my routine for capturing her. Sometimes she just knows and gives me this look before she takes off and hides. She's easy to pill once you have her tho...she rarely fights me. Occassionally i forget to give her her pill and i can definately tell, she vomits...it should be an easy thing to remember to give a pill every other day...sometimes i forget tho. I feel bad for her, having to exist this way. She definately has the cushingoid (round) look of chronic steroid use. The vet says that this is normal but my gosh is she round. We have been watching her blood work once a year to make sure she doesn't develope diabetes or liver problems. She has been fine, but this past October i was told her potassium level is high, so they are going to check her bloodwork every 6 months now. They don't know if this was just a fluke or not. She hasn't had any problems, so unless she developes a problem, i'll just wait for 6 months, then take her back in. If she does end up with liver problems or diabetes, i will have her put to sleep. As far as diabetes goes, i know we could give her shots of insulin, but i would personally never put an animal thru that. You just really don't know how the pet is feeling, they can't tell you. And after all Molly has been thru in her life...i just couldn't make her go thru another disease. You can tell she doesn't always feel well and it's definately becoming harder for her to get around, she's really getting stiff. Part of that is her age, part is how round she is now.

Anyway, hope your cat continues to improve :hmm: