Furniture kits (such as the ones offered on this site)

mselle

I'm finally thinking towards interior, but am so unsure which way to go. Money *is* an issue so I'm drawn towards the unfinished, unassembled sets in the store on this site.

Can anyone tell me --

--is the wood pretty rough, ie, do you have to really work hard at sanding and filling it? (I'm not too graceful and fear I'd break more than I'd finish.)

-do they go together pretty well, so you can end up with something that looks as nice as the pictures?

-do they arrive in sheets and you punch the pieces out?

-are the instructions fairly decent to understand?

-is it best to paint/stain *before* or *after* assembly?

Thanks in advance!!!!

The wood will need to be sanded just like the dollhouses. They do go together in a simple fashion, and you can achieve the same look as in the pictures. They do arrive in sheets for you to punch out and the instructions were easy enough for my 10 year old to put together for her dollhouse (She did the kitchen set). If you stain the wood first, you may have issues with the glue later on but, it you are not careful about where you glue, those parts won't stain after you assemble.

I hope this helps!

:wub:

The wood will need to be sanded just like the dollhouses. They do go together in a simple fashion, and you can achieve the same look as in the pictures. They do arrive in sheets for you to punch out and the instructions were easy enough for my 10 year old to put together for her dollhouse (She did the kitchen set). If you stain the wood first, you may have issues with the glue later on but, it you are not careful about where you glue, those parts won't stain after you assemble.
Tracy answered your questions really well. I just put together some of the Cororna Concepts furniture and will give you my personal take.

--is the wood pretty rough, ie, do you have to really work hard at sanding and filling it? (I'm not too graceful and fear I'd break more than I'd finish.)The wood is the same quality as the house kits, which especially with the Corona Concepts I have had no particular problems. If you want to smooth your edges and are going to paint your furniture, like I did for the Laurel I just rehabbed, you can rub spackling compound over the sanded edges and when it's all dry, give another sand (Dremel works perfectly for this). If you want to stain your furniture, do that before gluing it together and let it DRY thoroughly (at least 24 hours; when I do that I never have had a problem with the carpenter's wood glue holding). Sand the surfaces you want to glue together. I will give the edges a light hand-sanding when everything is dry. You can seal your furniture or give in a good wax & coat of polish.

-do they go together pretty well, so you can end up with something that looks as nice as the pictures?Yes, although for the pieces I wanted to look like porcelaine (kitchen & bathroom) I also sanded the corners rounded, primed with a couple of coats of gesso, spread spackle all over and let it dry thoroughly and then sanded the spackle smooth, repeating until my surface looked as smmoth as I could get it, and then I gave it a couple of coats of high-gloss enamel.

-do they arrive in sheets and you punch the pieces out?Yes, and I didn't have to do all that much "coaxing".

-are the instructions fairly decent to understand?Much easier than some dh kits I've built.

-is it best to paint/stain *before* or *after* assembly?For me it's easiest to paint AFTER assembly.

Staining is a whole different matter. The few times I forget & assemble first, no matter how carefully I glue or how thoroughly I clean up the glue joints, the stain KNOWS! If you stain first and let it dry really well, the glue ought to stick.

Two rules of thumb in building:

1) You cannot have too many clamps

2) With glue, less is more.

Rachelle, I have an older Greenleaf furniture kit that came with a dollhouse kit, and I have no use for it. If you'd like to have it, I'd be delighted to send it to you in time for Christmas.

Furniture_kit.bmp

Cheers!!

Carol

Oh Carol, how sweet of you! I'd love to give it a try! There are quite a few pieces that I really, really like in those sets!

Please tell me what you would like to sell that for and the best way to pay you (paypal?) ? I could send you a check or money order, whatever works best for you.

Thank you so much.! My little naked house is so excited!

And on the other responses --

I think I'm officially scared of trying to stain anything!

and

it looks as though I need an introduction to spackle. Oh my.

Rachelle, I'm giving you the kit! Merry Christmas!!!

Just send me your mailing address via private message and I'll put it in the mail tomorrow. I wondered what I was going to do with it, stuck it on a shelf and awaited developments. I am delighted that you'd like to have it!

Carol

Rachelle, we ran a feature on the die cut furniture kits in the Gazette awhile back that shows some of the diversity of the kits. If you'd like to see it, it's here. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhou..._Furniture.html

Spackle is the key to getting nicely smooth edges and joins. It doesn't work for stained furniture, but it's a delight to paint and a lot of fun to work with.

Deb

i have never tried the kits from greenleaf but i can tell you that the house of miniature kits you can buy on ebay are very nice not to bad on price's and very easy to put together.that remnd me of something i was supost to do weeks ago before i broke my thumb darn it

Ive built all of the Corona kits because I furnished my first Beacon Hill with them. I love the way they came out and they can really fill up a house. They are very cute. I assembled them the same way everyone else has suggested in this thread. Now I have some more kits that came with the Storybook and I plan on building those too. I would love the way they would look in a Tudor woodsy interior.

I was wondering about these too, especially how folks were getting a wooden bathroom to look like ...well, ANYTHING else. :lol: They're so cute and if I can find them around here (I'm on an Ebay strike) I'd love to try them out. Thanks for bringing up the topic! :thumb:

I was wondering about these too, especially how folks were getting a wooden bathroom to look like ...well, ANYTHING else. :doh: They're so cute and if I can find them around here (I'm on an Ebay strike) I'd love to try them out. Thanks for bringing up the topic! :lol:

ummm, welll, there is always the store here where you will find them, I mean that isn't Ebay now is it :thumb: :lol: http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/Dollhouse-Furniture.html

Couldn't resist sharing the link so to speak....

Hugs