~THmini2~

mselle

Could you tell me where you got those neat little flat rocks that you used for your pond? I absolutely love that pond, I need one! Any assembly tips would be very appreciated, too. I've seen the fake water stuff in the railroad section at the hobby store - is that what you used?

Thanks!

Rachelle

The rocks I used around my pond were shale. They were pieces found in a bag of landscaping stone. I think it was grey or blue shale. If it wasn't buried in snow I would try to dig some out for you. For the water I used blue scrapbook paper cut out in the shape I wanted and glued down and covered with the same shape cut out of a rippled water sheet from Hobby Builders Supply. (www.miniatures.com) It is only about $3.99 a sheet 7x12 inches. When the light shines on it the ripples shine. I get their catalog and look at it alot, always something new. I don't get to mini shop often so I order from them when I need something. I have also seen people use Mississippi pea gravel as that has a little color. Of course that is rounder though. If your not in a snowy area maybe you can go to a place with landscaping material like slate, ect and see if they have small pieces that you can buy for a small cost and break them up at home. All the pieces I used were roughly flat on top but had many thin layers in each piece. I hope this makes sence to you.

Thanks for the reply and some new ideas! Shale, huh. Wow you dollhouse people are such a creative bunch! And rippled water "sheets" - I hadn't heard of that, but will check it out. Thank you! And super cool pond, I must add. :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

I used shale and other rocks on the foundation of my Pierce. I love using natural rocks in my ponds and landscaping projects too. I get them outside in the yard, wash them off, then put them in the microwave for a minute to kill any gazoobies that may be hiding in the crevices.....