Some general ?'s abt choosing next dh...

mselle

I am jumping the gun just a bit, considering my first is not complete yet, (I'd put it at 80%, not counting furnishings,) but I'm already daydreaming towards the next and would like suggestions!

Keeping these things in the consideration, what might you suggest?

-I think I have ADD because all the sanding and woodfilling I've done with the Orchid has made me nuts. I'm hoping for a kit that comes prefinished?

-I like the size and Victorian style of the Orchid and would want to stay with something vaguely similar.

-I'm not sure about this tab and slot business. I'm obviously quite a newbie, but those tabs were often more trouble than they seemed to be worth, as I had to sand this and that to get them to fit properly and then sometimes still did not. Maybe it would be better to avoid this?

Any feedback/info/suggestions very much appreciated! Thanks!

I'm a tab and slot gal myself, and there is nothing like a tab and slot dollhouse when it is finished up! So I can't help you there. However, if you felt that the house youare building was a little difficult, why not go with a simpler house - the Arthur for instance? It's a really nice house when finished. I always left the gingerbread off of it and sometimes left the porch off as well, but all in all, it's a good build! And the rooms are decent sized for furniture too!

Wolfie

I haven't had much kit building experience, I'm a scratch builder, but tab and slot is not much fun as far as I'm concerned. I found myself doing more of that sanding and such than I like too. I did build one MDF house, well, okay, it ended up as a tree stump but it started as a house. Anyway, the MDF build went pretty easily.

I admit I'm not much of a tab-and-slot girl myself, but my Duracraft MDF house went together quickly, with no sanding! Real Good Toys also makes dh that don't have tab-and-slot plywood...although I will admit that plywood houses are generally cheaper that RGT, for example, and have wonderful angles and architectural details that you can't often find on non-plywood houses. That's why I love my MHM--a turret, lots of angles and gables, but no tabs and slots! Most of the even somewhat affordable RGT dh that I've seen are basically just boxes, and I like interesting variations in my houses...

Melissa

I have built a couple tab and slot houses and a couple non-tab and slot. The non ones were all Duracraft, which has its own problems. You can see pictures in my gallery. The company went out of business so you would have to look at ebay or somewhere like that. The other thing is that you have to cut all your trim to the size you want. There are plusses and minuses to both. I don't know that I prefer one over the other.

Good luck.

I would advise you to look at the smaller RGT houses. I personally liked Dura-craft construction, but you do have to cut all of your trim like CJEP said. Ebay would be the best bet if you go the Dura-craft route. I don't have one preference over another. I like them all.

Are Dura-craft houses pre-sanded? I can deal with cutting my own trim if I can avoid so much sanding and filling! The tab thing isn't nearly as important as the finished wood to me. Just from the time aspect. I get so disheartened when I can't see progress!

I love the originality of neat angles, turrets, porches, etc. I don't mind spending a few extra dollars if necessary. I guess I'm thinking that spending an extra 25% on a kit will save me far more than that in work-time.

My curiousity is up now about: the Arthur, Tiffany and Buttercup. Really leaning on that Buttercup. Thanks for all your input! Any othr house suggestions, I'm wide open.

I sanded & filled as much on the two Dura-Craft houses I built as on any of the Greenleaf or Corona Concept kits. Tab & slot doesn't bother me, but neither does sanding & filling or any other prep work. I groove on the building process.

I've started a little 1:24 scale hacienda by Fantasy Craft that has no tabs or slots, I shall have to find some 1/2" finishing nails to get it to hold together.

The Orchid and the Arthur are very similar in size. The Buttercup, Tiffani and Storybook are a wee bit smaller.

I like the tab and slot and have very few problems with them. I don't sand the outside of them since I stucco or side them anyway. I only sand where I am going to paint or wallpaper. Anything that gets covered with wainscotting or paneling or built ins (like bookcases or fireplaces) or flooring I just leave alone.

Hmmm, well I will go check out the Arthur, to be sure. I just wish I could get away from so much sanding and wood-filling.

Rachelle, try the new Arthur. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/Limited/ I'm not just saying that because it's a new release.............it really does fit the description of what you're looking for. Because it's made of birch instead of regular plywood, there's really very little sanding involved. The windows, trim and door are all finished wood, so there *NO* sanding to be done to them at all. The birch wood is so much easier to work with and you'll find that there's no filler needed on this house.

<placing right hand on my Pierce and solemnly swearing> I promise that you'll have a wonderful experience with it because of the birch wood. I didn't sand anything on that house except to give a light buff to the floors to bring up the grain a little bit. And not only is the wood excellent, but the trim includes pieces to cover the exposed edges of the back walls and floors, so you don't have to sand them either.........just glue on the trim.

It's about the same size as the Orchid and you can go as Victorian with it as your heart desires. It really does sound like it's the house you're looking for.

Deb

Im to the point to where I dont even ask myself questions anymore to try and figure out what would be my best choice for another dollhouse. Im just buying whatever I see and Ill figure out what to do with it and where to put it once its built..:wub: I supopse those are the symptoms of being in the advanced stages of Miniaturitis.

Deb, that so does sound like the perfect next house.! I can't afford to spend this close to Christmas and it sounds like they will be gone soon, but I'll keep my eye on it and now at least I know that maybe birch plywood might be the thing for me.

Thanks for all the replies!

I loved putting together my buttercup :wub: , but with all the trim for such a little house there is a lot of sanding. But the build is easy and they are super affordable. Not to mention after assembling my Rutherford (my first big dollhouse) I think small is very good :p