Shady Brook Cabin

Rhonda

Well the Shady Brook cabin kit finally arrived today (I am turing it into a fishing shack for my 30 year old son for Christmas) I must say I am really dissapointed with the kit itself. I literally spent hours with an exacto knife and small saw coaxing many of the pieces out of the sheets and even then I am going to have to do a lot of repair work. The directions are not the greatest but I was still able to follow along, until it said to refer to the picture. The pictures are so dark in color that you cannot even see the details you are suppose to be looking at. They remind me of copies that have been copied 500 times losing clarity with each copy.

Luckily I am a visual person and just common sense helped me to figure out what step I needed to do next. For such a simple project it sure has stretched out into hours of sanding and minor repairs.

Are all of Corona Concept's kits like this or did I just get unlucky and the person who is responsible for making sure the stamp is sharp and cutting like its suppose to, on break when my kit went through?

Are all of Corona Concept's kits like this or did I just get unlucky and the person who is responsible for making sure the stamp is sharp and cutting like its suppose to, on break when my kit went through?

Hi, I have done 3 Shady Brook Cabins and I had the same problem as you with all three. I noticed with all three the top half of each sheet comes away clean but the lower half is where I need to use my table saw. The pictures on my directions were also very dark. It does end up coming out nicely with some plaster or wood fill.

Good luck,

Ann

I did all the dry fitting tonight to see just where the chipped pieces of wood are going to show, and I dont think its going to be as bad as I orginally thought. I did a lot of sanding and used wood putty to fill in here and there.

I am going to put in the hardwood floors tommorow actually I should say the popsicle stick floors I am going to trim off the rounded ends of about 500 of them and make them into hardwood floors for the main room. I will be gluing them to posterboard then weighing it down so they dont buckle too bad. I bought some darkish brown colored shoe polish that I am going to try on a few as I read somewhere that this works great on hardwood floors that you want to give an 'old' look too. Oh forgot to add I will also use a black sharpie to make small dots on the ends of the boards to resemble nails.

I do not want the cabin to look brand new I want it to look like a worn in old shack that has been used as a fishing retreat for many years. Luckily this fits in with the repairs I have had to do, it will just give it a more 'lived in' feel :wicked:

I have built a few Corona kits and those have all been lovley working with, minor sanding and patching here and there. It could be that this kit itself is not newly made hence dried out which might explain some of the difficulties you are having with this. I do hope however that you will get it to work with you as I am really looking forward to seeing what you do with it! Need pics, pretty please LOL

Hugs

Perhaps the dies need sharpening or something for this particular kit. I have a friend who is making this kit up - and she seemed to have few problems with putting it together. It's a really adorable cabin!

Wolfie