Hello from The Gulf coast of Texas

kloving

:) That is so beautiful!!!! Your granddaughter (and I'm sure your daughter, too) is going to love it, and cherish it. That is amazing work...and in just one day!?! It is going to be a joy to see your work in progress :D

ONE DAY!!!! ROFLMAO Kathy, I have about (just a guess) 40 plus hours in what you see so far.

Thank You for your wonderful post, but I have a LONG way to go. This is just "out of the deep resess of my mind--LOL. My first and I hope my most special dollhouse. This one is the one that I hope my Granddaughter looks at after I am gone and and says to herself "That old geezer couldn't have bilt such a pretty dollhouse if he reall was as mean as Momma says he was" LOL

Thank You,

Kevin

Hello All,

WOW!!! I take it you like it--LOL I am astounded by all the praise. Monica, I am headed out first thing in the morning to buy a bigger hat (head has swelled and it will take a month to go back to size!!

Holly, I got your invite on the other board and Gina e mailed me. I am glad to be here. Lotts of FRIENDLY folks!! Not a soul had harped on my spelling!!!

Rosalind, Thank You (a bowing smilee no less!!) Boy I can't wait for my wife to get home; This confirms I AM A GENIOUS (that can't spell--lol)

Ben, Thanks for the reply, I had heard rumors I was not the only guy building dollhouses, glad to know the rumor was well founded.

I hope I will get more done on the dollhouse tomorrow afternoon, but Saturday is the next full day I will have to work on it. I look foward to getting some walls up! My knees hurt from all that flooring--LOL

Thank You all, boy, you really know how to stroke a guy's ego--LOL

Kevin

:p Sorry, I read your title wrong in the gallery. I thought it said "a days work" instead of "days of work"...wow, I really do need my eyes checked :D I love the work you did, it is beautiful!

I'm working on my first, too. It is in honor of my mom and dad. Long story short...I'm building the dollhouse that my mom wanted to build for my daughters, but was unable to.

Your daughter will never think of you as an mean old geezer, my kids never believed my parents were ever mean...of course I'm not thinking so as much anymore, going through the teens with my kids has definitely not been fun, but 20's are much better I have to say :)

Hi and :), Kevin!! Your work so far is very impressive. Your granddaughter will love it, I'm sure. I can't wait to see what you do with it. It is stunning!!

:D

I sure hope she does. She is not quite 3 years old but smart as a whip!! Todays toys are "throw-away" toys bought and discarded. I hope it will be an experance to Abby (my Granddaughter) like the nice lady who posted yesterday about her farther making her a dollhouse when she was 3.

Better than store-bought; MADE WITH LOVE!! (warts and all).

As hard as I try I know it won't be perfect (in fact it has warts allready, small but I see them), But that is what makes it special. It's hard to find somthing wrong with the plastic molded dollhouses thay sell at Wal-Mart, but those toys are so impersonal. I want to build a ONE OF A KIND house for a ONE OF A KIND GRANDdaughter. I guess insteed of "saying it with flowers" I am "saying it with wood"--LOL

All of this is based on the suposition I will actully FINISH--LOL

Thanks for the kind words,

Kevin

See Kevin?! I done tole you you would be a big hit on this forum! I knew that from the git go and believe me no one minds your spelling!

You and your family are great additiong here!

Wolfie aka Gina.....

Not a soul had harped on my spelling!!!
believe me no one minds your spelling!
Even on the few occasions I can spell I have dyslectic fingers when it comes to typing!lol Of course once you finish Abby's dh Your daughter will want one, and then you might have to follow in Greg's footsteps and start building 'em to please yourself...

HEY, DEB!!!Get over here and look at Kevin's floors, will ya?!

OMG Kevin, that floor is amazing! You say it has a few flaws already, but believe me, no one but you is going to notice. What you see as "flaws" (WHERE? I don't see them!) are actually characteristics of hand made pieces. :)

April~ :D Furniture building can be a lot of fun and also has it's rewards! You obviously have a great relationship with your father. Abby is indeed a lucky little girl to have such a loving family.

Welcome April and Kevin! I posted in Kevin's gallery days ago when I saw that amazing floor, but I didn't connect it with this thread until tonight. That floor is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in a dollhouse!!!

I did miniatures back in the 1970s, but didn't start again until my granddaughter was 19 months. I built her the San Fransiscan by Dura Craft. (She is now 3 and a half). I, too wanted to build an heirloom for her rather than give her more plastic junk, and I'm hoping that she always stays as interested in the house as she is now. Every year I give her a little bit better furniture, and when she gets old enough, I will build really special furniture for her. I am in Maine, and she is in upstate New York, so I only see her twice a year, and I know how difficult it is to be far away from the grandchildren, but we are giving them something really special, since there is so much love in every part of the houses we build!

I can't wait to see more photos of your gorgeous house!!!

HEY, DEB!!!Get over here and look at Kevin's floors, will ya?!

<yawning and stumbling over my own fingers> Whaddya yellin' about Holly? Leggo of my shirt collar and quit pulling. <rubbing eyes> Wha?? Huh? Look where??? Hang on a second..........

<jaw dropping> Holy cow! Now that's a seriously gorgeous parquet floor! <standing and applauding> Kevin, you are a true artist! That's a beautiful floor and I can't wait to see the house you build around it.

Oh but where are my manners? <dropping a curtsy> It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance Kevin, and yours as well April. It's always a delight when we get new members, but we especially love it when someone is already addicted, er, I mean, enamoured, of the little things in the world.

Kevin, you have a very lucky granddaughter, not just because you're building her a dollhouse, but because of your motivations and reasons for doing it. A house built from love will be a treasure to her for a lifetime and one she'll pass on to her own children.

I was sure that Scarlets bigest problem was her house was to small (makes Southern women grumpy).

<drawling> Darlin', we delicate flowers of the south don't get grumpy. <fanning myself> We might get just a teeny bit out of sorts once in awhile but ahm sure we don't get grumpy.............we skip right past grumpy and straight into pitchin' a fit. <cackle> We'll put up with shoes that are too small, but not a house! From what you've described, you're creating a house that would make any southern woman (even Scarlet) tickled pink.

Deb

<drawling> Darlin', we delicate flowers of the south don't get grumpy. <fanning myself> We might get just a teeny bit out of sorts once in awhile but ahm sure we don't get grumpy.............we skip right past grumpy and straight into pitchin' a fit. <cackle> We'll put up with shoes that are too small, but not a house! From what you've described, you're creating a house that would make any southern woman (even Scarlet) tickled pink.

Deb

The WOMEN OF MY DREAMS!!! and she's maried (and living north of the Mason/Dixon line) DANG!! Oh I just remembered, I'm married too. Oh well Debb, could you foward me your address in the next life--LOL

Thanks Deb, I had heard rumors, now I know its ALL true--LOL

Welcome Kevin and April! :wub:

I just checked out your gallery Kevin and saw the nice work you did on your floors. I especially like the 'marble' insert! I can appreciate the work it involves, I also did some parquet floors in my dollhouse.

Now that I've seen the pictures I understand what you were talking about in your other post about the spiral staircase. I also made one for my dollhouse and it took me quite some time to figure out how to make it fit and 'work' like a real staircase (same as you, I didn't want the dolls hitting their heads halfway up the stairs!). Mine only makes a half circle, so I suppose the treads on mine are not as deep as on yours. Mine was based on one of those old cast iron stairs though, so differently constructed to yours.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading your posts and looking at your gallery, hope to see more soon! Your granddaughter is a lucky girl!

Thanks Deb, I had heard rumors, now I know its ALL true--LOL

<innocent fluttering of eyelashes> Oh, don't believe those silly rumors. And the video tapes were all faked. I have an alibi for every one of those events and that little incident in Kansas about spray painting cattle was all a lie. Well, maybe not all a lie. I might have painted a cow or two, but it was with a brush, not spray paint. Gotta take care of the ozone layer ya know.

Deb