Inconspicuous places in Beacon Hill

ouchouch

So I have a question, among many but the one that stands out the most is this one. The walls near the stairs, on the first floor (where the first landing is) and the second set of stairs(between the back of the stairs and the windows) - I'm wondering what many BH owners have done when it came time to wallpapering/painting adding trims and borders, how in the world did you get to those spots?? Did you put what was needed on the walls before the wall came up? Do you even bother? I don't know. I was just curious cause I needed to know what the best thing for me to do with these "hidden" walls.

Well ouchouch, I put mine all together and then realized painting and wallpapering should have been done first but I managed to squeeze my hands in there and wallpapered it all but I wouldn't advice that for anyone. All I can say is, I sure went through alot of wallpaper and it was a good thing I printed out about 20 sheets just to make sure I had enough. DH claimed he heard words come out of my mouth that would have made the devil shudder.

Wendy

Thank you, Wendy. I love your Beacon Hill by the way, especially the window treatment. Was it you that had a tutorial with valances? I have tons of fabric. I work for Ethan Allen and I happen to get all the disco swatches they throw away.

Your advice helped me. I can imagine that those little hidden areas was a pain and took a lot of patience. But in the end it looked great, I bet. Thank you again!

**Also, if anybody is reading this since I'm lazy to post another thread, has any ever attempted to change the stairs? For some reason I don't like the one that came with the kit. It's nice if done well but I just don't like them.

OuchOuch, since my house was built already I had to wallpaper that way. I made templates first. It wasn't easy, but it got done and it turned out pretty well. If you can though, paint or wallpaper first!

I didn't have the opportunity to change the stairs in mine, but several people have "bashed" in new stairs in their houses. You can find premade stairs at most dollhouse suppliers but then again, you can always make your own too!

Have you thought maybe just painting them or staining them differently? Makes a whole world of difference in the outcome. What you think are awful could be just what you envisioned!

I thought about different finishes and different paints. The stairs are nice, I just thought of doing things differently than what's given to me. Spice things up a bit?

I saw your remodeling. I didn't think it was possible to remodel a dollhouse, until I saw your photos. Great work. Is it all done now?

It's been recommended here often in discussions of the Beacon Hill to make sure to paper or paint that first floor wall before installing the stairs.

Like many others we didn't paper it first. Luckily Melissa managed to patch together some wall paper in there (with template assistance) that looks really good from everyplace you can SEE it. I DID manage to sneak a camera inside and take a picture of the ONE place the paper doesn't match up. But it's in a location that you cannot POSSIBLY see it unless you cheat with a camera like I did. LOL!

I love the stair treatment though with it's turns. I've had to move in or out of apartments like that and it was always an adventure to try to get large sofas or other furniture up or down those kinds of stairs. Bringing back those memories of my younger days is one of the reasons I so love the stairs. But I'm sick that way. :)

Another idea we had was to cut open the base part of those and make a sort of storage closet by adding a cabinet door to the back of the first floor stair support block. One could also cut blocks out of the sides and create "built in" book shelves in that space. In hindsight built in nooks could be added to the top floor into the mansard spaces as well and I've seen a lot of older houses that had much of those "built ins" in them.

One day I really do have to do another Beacon Hill and try out some of the things I didn't think of when I built mine.

Darrell

Thanks Ouchouch! :p No, it's a long way from being done. I'm meeting up with Tracy next week to go dollhouse shopping. I'm in need of crown molding, baseboards and wallpaper. Just haven't been satisfied with the wallpaper I've used in the bedroom and on the third floor, so I'll see what I can find and hopefully get that part done.

Then there's all the little extras! Floral arrangements, pictures, people, curtains (yep still haven't got all those done), et cetera.

I don't think I'll ever be completely done. There will always be something to add or redo.

One thing is for sure . . . when I build the Willowcrest, all priming, painting and wallpapering will be done BEFORE the house is glued together!! :blink:

So I did that part. Wallpapered and even done up the stairs with a sealer and stain. Yes, I've kept the stairs. The only modifications I did on it was the railings. I've been taking photos.

So who has a cat that likes to perch inside the house? Mine does. I think it's so cute.

I don't have a cat, but I have seen so many pictures of cats in dhs I just assume it's one of those universal cat things, like the "evening crazies". I guess it's part of their nature to like to fit into snug places. Check to see if Linda still has the pictures of Chloe "helping" build one of their houses.

My favorite pet picture is of Teresa's bird, Picasso.

Thanks, Holly! I like those pictures too. It's not so funny when he chases me out of the dollhouse though! Seems like he becomes VERY attached to them! :)

Oops, silly me, Darrell! Of course I'm going to electrify it! ;) That's what I said, after I prime, paint, wallpaper and ELECTRIFY! :p

• 1 year later...
**Also, if anybody is reading this since I'm lazy to post another thread, has any ever attempted to change the stairs? For some reason I don't like the one that came with the kit. It's nice if done well but I just don't like them.

I built my stairs from individual balusters, newel posts and handrails. My wife wanted to be a little different!

Edited by MidnightVoice

I built my stairs from individual balusters, newel posts and handrails

and your photos are...where?

not nice to tease like that yanno! :whistle:

nutti :wave:

Great photos! I love it when I can see stuff close up!

Thanks!

Bec

Thank you. I will add a couple of overall views when I finish bending roof parts.

But you ought to see the originals - I had to compress these like mad to make them manageable :whistle:

Woww great photos. Your house is lovely. I love what you did with the staircase posts. They looks so good that it looks like the house came that way rather than a bash. They all fit perfectly. I like the kitchen floor, its original and nice. I love how you put little shelves in the bedroom closet and all of the doors. I cant wait to see it all finished because its turning out beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

MidnightVoice-

how did you get your BH to fit together so straight? Mine is giving me all sorts of problems! My front wall doesn't even fit straight and how it does fit, it makes the walls in the 3rd floor rooms lean, my hall looks like a triangle. I have not glued any on it yet as I haven't figured out how I am going to make it fit. I think I am going to have to shave off the tabs and some of the edges to make it straight, then fill in some areas with filler. But then my window will be crooked, hmmm... I noticed you have some fill by your front door, that is where my problems are the worst, did u have to alter that wall as well? Thanks for your help! Laura

Edited by Laura

I have no idea! And as it my first house, I have no experience to fall back on. It was in the box for about 19 years before I started to put it together, and a lot of it is not as straight as I would like.

Sorry to be of no help, but there are a ton of Beacon builders here who can probably help