learning how to crochet

ilovecats

What is the best way to learn how to do this? is there a video available? I'd like to learn how so that i can make my own mini crochet items. I used to know how to knit a gazillion years ago and i used to be really into cross-stitch. I love afghans and i don't see why i can't learn how to make my own....and especially in mini!!!!

Help me please!!!!!!! :)

I learned to crochet from a book. Both of my grandmothers and my mother tried to teach me how, but I couldn't learn until I picked up a how to book. If you can knit- you should find crochet very doable.

I should add- big hook and big stiches for the first try. Once you have it down its really easy to go small with it.

I learned how to knit and crochet from books too. There are also online tutorials on crocheting and knitting! They are very good. Just go to Google and type in crochet tutorials and you'll find a ton of them!

Wolfie

library books are great for this. There are a gazillion and one books on knitting and crochet out there during the last few years. I was the crocheting "orphan" in a family of knitters when I was growing up, but learned to knit around age 46. Stores like A.C. Moore/Hobby Lobby/Michaels often have easy crochet kits and classes for new learners. Good Luck! There are some nice mini patterns out there! I'm working on a tiny sweater for a mini Christmas gift exchange our local club is having.

I also learned from books when I was very young. To have it really in scale, you pretty much have to use thread or very fine yarns and my eyes find it difficult using a size 16 crochet hook. I do have to use my magnifying glass when I crochet mini doilies.

I've been land-based and made fun of in the past for being a self-taught crocheter but it seems most are :) I find pictograms much easier to follow than written out directions (and as with anything that's good could be why I can't find an issue of Magic Crochet any where lately, seems if it's good it gets discontinued) It's also easier to scan pictogram directions and cut 'n paste to combine patterns.

Chelsea is teaching herself how to knit and crochet online.

Here is a knitting site that has videos for the beginner....Knittinghelp.com.

Here is a crochet site with video...www.nexstitch.com.

Here is another crochet site with video...www.hassdesign.com.

I hope these help you somewhat.

Marg, I'm with you in trying to learn. My mother showed me the basic stitch months ago, but I didn't practice and can't remember now. I need to sit down with her for longer (she showed me right before she had to leave). Maybe at Christmas. I also bought a book, but I find I learn better by being shown than reading.

if you can knit then you'll have no problem learning to crochet! i taught myself when i was around 12 years old. a family friend tried to teach me but i'm a lefty so it didn't just never seemed to click with my brain, lol! i had to figure it out on my own! i just wish i could knit! i've tried to learn a million times but it just never seems to work!

You might consider getting one of the Boye "I Taught Myself To Crochet" kits. They come with a book, hook, yarn and you can actually produce something as you learn (scarf, cap, etc). And they sell the kits just about anywhere they sell yarn. It's rather easy once you get the hang of it and very relaxing. Have fun!

Wow, thanks for the information guys!!!!

I haven't looked at any tutorials yet, i haven't made time yet. I have a crochet hook and some yarn down in the family room...it's in a trunk...under a dollhouse ...lol...i just need to wiggle myself back to the area. My neighbor tried to teach me how to crochet ...holy cow...it's been about 8 years ago!!! Anyway, I was living in Georgia at the time, and just as she tried to teach me, i moved about a month later and haven't touched it since. So i'll dig that stuff out of the trunk then start looking at the tutorials and then if i need more information, i'll buy an instruction book :p

Thanks again for all the input!

Ohhh all these neat patterns, does anyone by any chance know of a site where one can translate all those special expressions as they aren't in the dictionary, atleast not in the one I have around, perhaps I need to get myself a new one??? Ahh, a wish to add to Santa's list!!!

Hugs :p

YouTube is also a great source. You can find tutorial videos. I used them to learn how to do the kf&b stitch in knitting.

My mom and grandma were lefties and crochetted left-handed. My mom tried to teach me, but I just can't get past the chain. I never know what hole to insert my crochet hook into. My mom also learned to knit left-handed by reading a book. Then she taught me. We both knitted left-handed English method. The hard thing is learning new stitches. I have to mentally (or with the help of mirror-flipping clip art program) flip the image. But this is much easier than just knitting right-handed. I have so much trouble and am extremely slow knitting right-handed. I've been told I should never knit lefty, but it is so uncomfortable and I am one of those extreme southpaws. I've even tried Right-handed Continental and it doesn't work. I've found YouTube is great help because lefty knitting advice is hard to find.

Everyone tells me crochetting is much easier than knitting, but I find knitting to be the easier of the two.

Our wonderful local knitting shoppe offers free classes every Sunday from 10AM until closing time after 5PM at night. The owner is also the teacher and she is great! I've got 5 projects I've started and not finished because dolls and minis now come before anything else! But she was a great help to me in finishing up a lovely vest I knitted. Now crocheting is not my cup of tea....however I can make slipper type socks pretty well, and my chains are exquisite! LOL

Wolfie

Annies Attic has crochet instructions, and pics and explanations of all the stitches. There used to be a wonderful site that had great instructions for all needlework, but it shut down.

Just go to http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?type_id=S

You should have no trouble learning from there. And, for any lefties, if you sit directly across from a right handed crocheter, and make the same moves they make, you will pick it up faster. Also, if you are a leftie, trying to learn from a book, sit in front of a large mirror. It will make it look to you like you are doing it right handed, therefore able to follow the instructions much more easily. I say this because most instructions are usually given for right handed people.