A friendly reminder about cat and tinsel

goodteach0

Some of you already know about this.

Cats will eat the tinsel from the Christmas tree. Sometimes this will get balled up in the intestines or even cut the intestinal wall.

Obviously this could be an expensive vet visit or even the death of the cat. Lots more info about this is on the web.

Just a reminder.

Judy

Yes, tinsel can be very dangerous to our furkids, dogs and cats. And I suppose any other critter who has free range of the house! We quit using it years ago. We don't always bother with a Solstice Tree, but when we do, the first four feet or so, from the ground up, are all decorations that are "cat proof" -- either wooden or paper or some other material that can't be injested, can be played with, with little damage. The tree always looks a bit odd, until our friends see the four furkids batting at the stuff.. :please:

No tinsel for you! And check out the unbreakable plastic ornaments. They look almost the same as the glass ones, unless you look close and see the fine seam around them. We did the whole tree in them last year (will again this year) and you couldn't tell the difference.

we've never used tinsel, but I worked for a vet many years ago when I was in college and I remember there was always a rash of cat/dog intestinal floss situations this time of year. Our problem right now is the girls are all chewing on the plants we've brought in from the deck. They chew, they throw up, they feel better...then they start the cycle again. Gotta watch what plants you have inside. Many are not good ones for this cycle!