Primrose bashing question

kathi17

Hi, I have two primroses. One I am going to use for a school with my Mini Mundus school furniture kit. That one will be easy, because I can place the desks sideways and put the blackboard on the wall without windows.

The other one, I want to turn into a library. Since I will be adding floor to ceiling bookshelves, I would really like to have a plain back, and hinge the front. I looked at a couple of members' Primroses and saw how they added foamcore to raise the ceiling of the second floor, and that looks like a really good idea so I can make the library two stories, with a reading room upstairs.

What I am wondering is, does anyone know where I can buy plywood in the same thickness as the Primroses plywood to make a back wall?

I'm also thinking that maybe I should use a piece of plywood for the roof and hinge that as well for the top floor. If I put the roof on backwards so you can see inside of it, I don't think it would look as good as it would if the roof was finished in front, and it would be awkward to have to turn the dollhouse around to see upstairs.

Thanks for any help anyone can give,

Kathi

Kathi, this sounds like a great project for your Primroses, I made a haunted school out of one of mine :welcome: , so I know that desks will look lovley in there!

As for the roof, I see no hinder in you adding hinges to the roof, you would only need to sand down the tabs I suppose on the front side and attach the hinges to the back partition so that you can open and close it like that...

Please do take lots and lots of pics and share with us!

Hugs

Thanks Anna, I just went over and looked at your gallery. Great job on your Primroses!

Now my biggest problem will be finding plywood in the right thickness.

I think Greenleaf would make a lot of money if they offered small sheets of uncut plywood for us kit bashers!

A.C. Moore sells small, thin pieces of dollhouse plywood. They are rather pricey if you consider it by the board foot, but getting enough for a Primrose would be cheap enough. I never thought of raising the roof on the one I did recently, but that would be pretty easy. So would hinging it. You can do it :welcome:

p.s. I just added a gallery for my little Primrose project, an Early American office. It's fun to see how different some of these Primroses look, eh?

I just looked at your Primrose, it's beautiful. I love the wainscotting! Thanks for the tip about A C Moore. I was just there (Bangor) last Sunday, and never thought to look for it. That's where I bought my two Primroses. Now I have to figure out how to get my husband to take me back there. He hates waiting in the car for the hours and hours I spend in there!

We live in Stonington, so we only go in to Bangor once in a while because of the price of gas, otherwise I'd go there myself tomorrow!!!

Edited by kathi17

I love your Primroses! I'm toying with the idea of adding a Primrose to each side of my "Mystery Tabbie". It's long been over-furnished and out of space, but I love the house. Do I have to put a full lenght board under the whole house to accomplish this? The experts say?...

• 4 weeks later...

Gee I'm going to have to check out Loew's when we go there again...... I never thought they would have 1/8" plywood! Cool! Doug just bought me another half dead orchid (plant not the dollhouse) there a week or so again. This will be my second. My first one is already producing multiple spikes and the new one is perking up too. Good light, good windows...etc. But back to the Primrose. I now have a Laurel and a Primrose I am going to put together - eventually! I'm gleaning all the great ideas and will incorporate them into my rather contemporary plans!

Wolfie