Willow Gurus - is the shell pretty easy to put together?

Elsbeth

So I finally gave in an purchased a Willow kit.

I expect it to arrive in the next week or so.

Estimated build time is listed as 30 hours - but I was planning on using a pre-made staircase, leaving off a lot of external trim so that is looks sorta saltboxy like this:

OUTDATED LINK TO IRELIVANT CONTENT -  REMOVED BY ADMIN

I built the Glencroft in the past, and while I greatly enjoyed it, it took me a long time to finish (40 hours).

Is the Willow a good deal more complicated than that? I keep thinking the boxy shape should be more simple, but that doesn't mean it actually will be.

So I guess the question is - what do you feel is the time-sink with the willow? The external trim? The bookcases?

I'm prepared for sanding and priming, but I was thinking the simplified exterior might speed things up for me.

This time I have a dremel (it really helps with the sanding and fitting!) and some amazing tools to help cut trim. I feel prepared this time.

I'm in my usual mode of thinking about the kit too much before it arrives. Sorry!

Edited by Mini Man
Busted link

Silly me - I should search the archive before asking!

I think I found my answer:

"The basic shell to the Willow goes together fairly quickly. The stairs take awhile . Also there is no second floor stair so that takes some time cutting the hole, etc. I have built two Willows and did not use all the window and door trim and went with the plainer Colonial look which saves a lot of time and is the look I want. It's a nice house with larger than average rooms. The chimneys look hard to do but aren't so bad. There are no awkward angles to deal with in any of the rooms. I also left out the bookcase/fireplace section in the living room and used free standing fireplaces instead which also saves time. I've never built a Garfield but the Willow I'm sure would take much less time."

But if any other folks with Willow-experience want to give me tips, feel free. Thanks.

I have built many houses. Both tab-n-slot and hammer and nails. Let me be the first of many to warn you the build times listed are 100% approximate. Not all houses cooperate the same. Some go together faster, some, take twice as long. You can build 2 identical kits, and the times on those will even vary. Have fun, and don't worry about how long you expect it should take you. Houses are as individual as the nice folks who build them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am in the process of the Willow.....I am a first-time dollhouse person..I've NEVER tackled this type of project before, and if I can do it..ANYONE can! I read that a lot of people complained about putting together the stairs..but I had no problem...the bookcase --well..the only thing about that was that you really have to "fit" it in the house...and believe me, mine will NEVER come out! Being a first-timer, I put everything together first, and now, am only wallpapering..so I'm a bit slower at this...however, I have not run across any major problems...I did not do an additional stairway to the 3rd floor...because..I'm new at this...I have a couple of pictures posted somewhere on another "Willow" sight...I hope to post more perhaps next week...I am moving along quite well on it...it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be at all! I really like the room sizes!

• 3 weeks later...

Unless there's a deadline because the house is a gift for someone, why on earth would you burden yourself with obsessing over build time? I love building houses, but most of all I love building them the way they tell me they want to look, and for that I take how ever long it takes. My first kit took 3 1/2 years to build.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, HavanaHolly, I've been slow moving on mine...sometimes I really have to "think on it" a while...it's still coming along pretty good...(thanks to you and others here)....but I am not in a race to finish it...besides, glue has to dry, paint has to dry, etc....why rush? I agree! I sure enjoy looking at everyones photos though...it's inspiration!!

I am going to try to add some pictures..I hope they turn out...Advice, opinions, ideas, are ALWAYS welcome...this is my first house that I have ever built...It is a Willow...a nice large roomy house!

Okay, I need some help here...I am trying to download or upload some pictures that I have on a CD, and I also saved those pictures to my hard drive..but when I go to upload them..I keep getting the message that the file is too big...This was only ONE picture...what am I doing wrong?

the file of the individual photo you're trying to upload is too big--you will have to save it to a smaller size file. You can do this using Windows Paint or you can try using this site:

OUTDATED LINK TO IRELIVANT CONTENT -  REMOVED BY ADMIN

Edited by Mini Man
busted link

Hey, thanks for the help! I actually put some pictures in the gallery..."Sadie's Willow" in process...I will accept opinions, and advice, of course! ...it's my first time building! What a kick! I have become quite resourceful at saving things" that nobody would ever thing of saving for anything! HA HA Now, I am going to try to attach a picture here...I've done it only once before, but I don't remember how!

post-603-1201017294_thumb.jpg

post-603-1201017453_thumb.jpg

post-603-1201017477_thumb.jpg

post-603-1201017484_thumb.jpg

post-603-1201017532_thumb.jpg

post-603-1201017542_thumb.jpg

OH wait...I want to add a couple more....so I can get opinions/advice...I am unsure about the "white" fireplace bookshelf area in living room...any ideas? I tried the stained look..it looked crappy...I think I'm sort of getting the hang of this now....but I'll forget it by next week! HA HA!

anyhow...

post-603-1201017735_thumb.jpg  post-603-1201017783_thumb.jpg

post-603-1201017791_thumb.jpg  post-603-1201017798_thumb.jpg

post-603-1201017827_thumb.jpg  post-603-1201017838_thumb.jpg

post-603-1201017832_thumb.jpg

I love the exterior colors. IMO the white bookcases & chimneybreast looks a bit stark, maybe beige in a tone close to the wallpaper would turn down the volume and look nicer? I like the stonework on the second floor, and the colors of the papers you've chosen are very pretty.

Oh..all of you guys are good! I, too, think the white is too stark...!! Yes, perhaps a tan or antique white I will try next..if that looks funny..I'll just paint it another color...again! haha!! ....!! Re: Stonework?? I had to think about that one for a minute...oh...you must mean the fireplace? I got some tiny stones, glued them down and filled with tinted spackle! HA! I intend to do that to the outside of my chimneys...as far as the wallpapers...it's scrapbook paper..except for the living room white/gold wall and the kitchen walls...all the rest is scrapbook paper...hey--it's only 25 cents a sheet! Thank you all for the ideas and advice and the compliments...This is my first house...so, I am going kind of slow...I still have details left on the outside to do and touch up painting to do..and ...shingles, and stair rails, etc...you know the routine! It's getting there! I love looking at everyone's work--it's very inspirational!! It's interesting to see how everyone has their own ideas!

Sadie, I still take my time & go slow, and I still have things I have to go back and do over, and I've buillt a couple of kits by now. As I've mentioned before, we aren't in a race. Oh, and I also like srapbook paper.

Any ideas for carpets for floors? Has anyone ever bought fake fur and cut it down to make "shag" carpeting? Or would that be a bit too thick? I was going to try it...eventually.....I've made several rugs from felt and lace....but I want shag carpeting in one of my attic rooms......

Has anyone ever NOT stained their shingles? I rather like the raw look...I don't know...so many decisions! It's a good thing I'm not building my own REAL house! HA!

Any ideas for carpets for floors? Has anyone ever bought fake fur and cut it down to make "shag" carpeting? Or would that be a bit too thick? I was going to try it...eventually.....I've made several rugs from felt and lace....but I want shag carpeting in one of my attic rooms......

Has anyone ever NOT stained their shingles? I rather like the raw look...I don't know...so many decisions! It's a good thing I'm not building my own REAL house! HA!

The knit back of most fake fur fabrics makes it too think for scale. Why not use terry towel fabric for the shag carpet? You might get a variegated color look using felt-tip markers in different colors. You could also see how shaving the fake fur with an electric razor works.

I never stained the cedar shakes on either of the Dura-Craft houses I built. When I redo the Cambridge I think I'll paint over the singles with a very dilute wash of light gray & drybrush a couple of other gray tones, just to calm them down & freshen them up a bit.

• 3 weeks later...