The Laurel-My first attempt

pamlynn

you can do whatever you want to do with this house!

it is yours and your daughters and it should reflect you and your taste....if the stairs take up to much room take them out.

In the Orchid I did for my gran I tacked them in place and she yanked them out.... wanted more room.

you could build them and let her choose...at this age she probably doesnt care about the realism like climbing stairs......the younger kidos do.LOL

I never thought about stationary....is yours stiff? I used christmas wrapping paper in my Holiday house...very thin....lots of wrinkles.....but it was the attic and it turned out ok

if you dont like someting it can be ripped out or covered up!

ENJOY!

cant wait to see photos....what color for outside?

stucco?,siding?,plain?

nutti :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The outside will be a light blue. The bedroom wallpaper will be sheer with purple/blue glitter pattern. The bedroom furniture is dark and glossy with white fabric stuff. I bought it at collections etc. They have a little bit of furniture, but not much.

Welcome, Pamela! :p The colours you're using sound lovely. Your daughter is going to be so surprised! Looking through the blogs and galleries here will give you lots of inspiration. Do look at all the houses people have built - you may like someone's idea and want to adapt it to the Laurel. Seeing other people's problems/mistakes and how they overcame them can save you from making the same ones.

I prefer using ailene's glue as opposed to the glue gun, but sometimes I don't have the time to sit with my house. I think I remember reading a hint about using something else, but I can't remember what it was. Please offer more hints....Thank you!

I always use Aileens....sometimes I will use the fast grab stuff in the purple bottle.

use plenty of masking tape...and after the main house is glued its good to let it set up for 24 hours before turning it upside down or on its side to paper or/and paint it.

the colors youve chosen sounds very sweet and pretty

cant wait to see it

nutti :p

I loaded some pictures. I hope you enjoy them. That sure was time-intensive. I figured I was doing ok on the timeline since I was just putting in a few hours here and there. I now feel as if I've accomplished something and soon will be working on the decorating. Anyone know where to get floor tile for the kitchen?

WOW

that is looking wonderful!

I love how you are doing the shutters and such!

you can use manythings for the floor....what kind of look are you wanting

Greenleaf sells wood and slate looking tiles that are pretty nice. or you can take a peel and stick tile and cut into one ince squares and put them down....I used Black and white tile for a couple of projects.

hun I hate to say anything....but if you are planning on wallpapering it would have been easier to do without the windows in. not impossible just easier.

take care with your windows they are easily mussed up. and hard to clean.

now just what do you have plans for the inside?

any colors we are thinking about. stairs in or out?

how is your daughter LOVING you! and her beautiful house! all her friends will want to play!

cant wait to see more! your doing great!

nutti :ohyeah:

Yes, I realize I should have walllpapered before gluing in the windows, but since this is my first dollhouse I couldn't remember everything I was and wasn't supposed to do. I guess I got overwhelmed. I don't even know what colors I'm going to use for sure. I may try to pry off one of the windows to see if I can reattach it after papering. I'm not sure. The only room I know for sure is the upstairs bedroom. Already have the furniture. I'll make dark blue carpeting out of velvet and the wallpaper (I know, I know) will be sheer with dark blue/purple glitter pattern. Not sure on the rest. I know I wanted tile in the kitchen, but am trying to find a wallpaper square that looks like a tile pattern. I'm just letting it all come to me. Thanks for the input.

I guess I forgot to mention that this is a Christmas gift for my daughter and will be a total SURPRISE! The kids just know I leave everyday and come home smiling. Kind of weird since I'm not having an extramarital affair. I think I'll try to use the exacto knife and peel a window off. Wish me luck!

you shouldnt have to many problems popping the windows off.

I know about the excitement part!

I learned the hard way also...with my Willowcrest....it has mostly painted walls because of it.

how exciting you are building away from home so the kid will know nothing!

OOOOOOO the smiles on Christmas day!

and I didnt say it would be impossible to do just a little harder....

your furniture looks good also!

WTG!

I look forward to seeing it all finished...how do you like it so far?

nutti :ohyeah:

You can't imagine the glee on my face when I came home the day I got it put together! Or maybe you can...I think I'm getting more enjoyment out of this than my daughter will. I think she has a clue as to what I'm doing since we have talked about it for awhile. I'm just hoping it will be a surprise she'll enjoy. I'm having a hard time finding a store around here that sells mini furniture so my friend in Texas is buying a lot of stuff for me in Texas. I'll keep posting pictures and I do appreciate the feedback! When I first got started I was a little trepiditious, thinking that I had bit off more than I could chew. It does seem to be coming together, maybe a little bit slower than I'd like, but that's ok.

Will it look weird if I piece the wallpaper over the window in the center of it. Kind of like coming in from the outsides to join in the middle? That way I don't have to try and pop the window frame out, I'll just meet in the center of the window.....

Don't know about the porch supports - but for the wallpaper question .... if the seams are nice and tight, I don't think it would look bad. I'd just make sure they were perfectly centred. Off-centre would really jar the eye.

All I have l left to do is the shingles. I posted some pictures today, but I think I'm going to redo the porch railing in white. It would give it more definition. Next I'll be working on the inside. We don't have mini craft stores around here, so I have to order stuff online. I hate waiting!!!!

I'm currently in the process of painting the railing white. At least I had the time and energy to try it both ways. I couldn't wait, so I hung some of the wallpaper and put the furniture in the first bedroom. I wish my bedroom looked so good! I even posted some pictures. Enjoy! Pam

• 2 weeks later...

Belated welcome t he forum, Pam. We just got home from traveling.

I hope you didn't use hot glue to assemble your Laurel. I rehabbed a hot-glue assembled Laurel this year I was given for $2 that was falling apart. Here's my album about what it looked like "before" I got my hot little hands on it, as well as what I did to it before it went to Toys for Tots.

You had some other interesting questions. When I use sealer I use clear sanding sealer. Shellac comes in flakes which must be dissolved in denatured alcohol. Denatured alcohol is toxic stuff and WILL damage your skin. Clear sanding sealer given a good stir works just great. If you look at some of my other albums and building blogs you'll see how the scoring technique works. The Greenleaf store has wonderful vinyl flooring including tiles (which I used in my Laurel rehab in the kitchen).

Thanks to all of you who have helped me with my first attempt at building a dollhouse! I still haven't gotten to the shingling, but that's just because my kids have been missing me and griping about me not being home. I should start on it today or tomorrow. I've ordered wallpaper and floor tile which I'm still waiting for. I'm hoping it will be here tomorrow. You all forgot to mention how addictive this hobby would be!!! I've already ordered a second house which I will be building for my step-daughter. I tried to get a log-cabin for my son from Ebay, but I lost out. Darn! I will keep trying, however. I varnished my floors, but I didn't get a very smooth finish. Is that because I used a sponge-type brush? Should I get a different kind and go over it again? Thank you once again for all of your help! Happy Holidays, Pam

Was the wood sealed first? If not, it could be that the varnish raised the grain a bit. I would sand it down a little and varnish again. In fact, a few coats - sand in between coats - should give you a very shiny floor.