Hello

Shiney

Hi all,

My name is Michelle and I'm a newbie to dollhouses and miniatures. And when I say newbie, I seriously am...I haven't built any houses, and have no miniatures as of yet. But I've always wished for a dollhouse as a child, and one day I decided to have a look around the internet to see what I can find. It was more than I bargained for: the exciting world of dollhouse building and miniature collecting. I've done about 20 hours of research and become utterly facinated with this "hobby."

A little info about me: I am 26 years old, in college, married to a wonderful guy, no kids, one dog. I love animals, ethnic dishes, wine, and science. I like to indulge in different types of crafts, including tatting, sewing, and jewelry-making.

I'm so excited about building my first dollhouse. I've lurked at this forum for a couple of days and you all have given me so much inspiration! I never realized dollhouses could be so beautiful, like works of art. I'm going to buy myself the Orchid kit for Chirstmas and learn everything I can about building dollhouses. I'm chock full of nifty ideas I've gotten from all of you. Thanks for reading my intro! :lol:

!!WELCOME!!

so glad you found us!

the orchid is a great beginner house or even for a beginner collector.

I hope you plan on posting photos of your project! or should I say projects?

inside the dollhouse always one or 20 little projects that make it a work of art from You!

again !!Welcome to the forum!!

nutti :lol:

Michelle welcome to the forum. I'm in the finishing stages of my first dollhouse, so I understand your excitement. Be carefull this hobby becomes very addictive. I already have 2 more house waiting to be started and I've already been purchasing furniture for them. It is so easy to get carried away especially when the good folks on the forum lets you know about sales and things LOL

Peggi

good folks on the forum lets you know about sales and things LOl

who us?? now dont be giving such an impression!

for shame. no one here gives out the media codes for HBS sales or post HL or Micheals sales....never! we would never encourage wanton spending on miniature item!

sayyyyy if you beleive that one I got this mini bridge....would just be perfect for you! ;) :)

sorry couldnt resist...I seem to be having a good day.

nutti :lol:

I've done about 20 hours of research and become utterly facinated with this "hobby." 

How many hours into the research did it take to hook you? :lol: It sure doesn't take long to become fascinated and even less time to become addicted.

Hi Michelle! I'm Deb, also fairly new to the world of minis. (I started in September and am working on my third house, with two more kits waiting their turn, so I'm also living proof of the addiction) Welcome to the forum! This is a truly wonderful community where folks are friendly and helpful.

The Orchid is a delightful house and perfect for a first time build. It was my first house and I loved every second of it. (pics of my Orchid are in my webshots album linked below my name if you'd like to see it) It's really straightforward to build with no complicated twists, turns or eccentric behaviors. You'll have a wonderful time building it and it's a beautiful house to display proudly when you're done.

Nice to meet you Michelle!

Deb

Nutti, Linda, Peggi, Shaky, Jeri, Molmrath, Anne, Tracy, Holly, Deb,

Thank you for the warm welcome. :)

I will definitey take lots of pics when the time comes for me to build my Orchid.

It didn't take me long at all to become addicted; for now I get my "fix" by simply drooling over the houses in this community. So many gorgeous eye candy!

I love your Orchid Deb! I have similar taste as you do. And I remember reading about the story behind your little Mr. Toad in another thread. So funny. :lol:

I love your Orchid Deb!  I have similar taste as you do.  And I remember reading about the story behind your little Mr. Toad in another thread.  So funny.  :lol:

:) Yeah, I love the little froggy CPA. <ribbet, ribbet>

So, what are your first plans for your Orchid? Do you have a vision in mind for how you want it to come out?

Deb

Welcome to the forum Michelle!

I love the Orchid. There is one lurking under my couch (under the bed is full! :lol: ) and it will be my next house as soon as I finish my Jefferson.

I'm glad to see another tatter out here... there aren't a whole lot of tatters anywhere...do you shuttle tat or needle tat?

Carol

Welcome, Michelle!!  Enjoy building your Orchid . . . it won't be your last house!!  Once you start, you can't stop!!
Don't I know it! :) I'm already dreaming about building the Fairfield after I graduate from the Orchid. And then maybe the Magnolia, and the Beacon Hill...and...uh-oh, should I be worried? :lol:

Your BH is so gorgeous BTW...You have wonderful skills. I learned a lot while looking through your album.

So, what are your first plans for your Orchid?  Do you have a vision in mind for how you want it to come out?
I don't have a clear picture in my mind as of yet, but I do want to try out all the basics involved in dollhouse building. I want to wallpaper the upstairs, perhaps lay hardwood floors in the living room, stain the shingles a dark walnut, maybe even add stucco and stain-glass windows. The Orchid is to be a learning experience more than anything, so I won't be afraid to take chances and make lots of mistakes. The end result might look a bit funny, but at least it'll be fun!

I'm glad to see another tatter out here... there aren't a whole lot of tatters anywhere...do you shuttle tat or needle tat? 
Yes, I'm always excited to meet other tatters as well. I shuttle tat, and also have a small collection of shuttles I adore. How about you?