My new Willow kit

I love the style of the Willow and the one I just sold didn't have near as many problems with the pieces. This one must have been at the bottom of the stack during the die cutting process or the cutting blades really need sharpening. A lot of the pieces, the chimney parts and window frames especially are beyond sanding. The edges are much rougher than usual and the top surfaces are cracking along the edges. The parts involved are on multiple sheets so having to request replacement of so many seems too much. I've decided to just make new window frames from good wood strips from Hobby Lobby and make do with the chimney parts. I left a message with customer service. If they have inspectors this one must have been missed. Even the edges of the main parts are rough and appear as though the cutting blade was really not sharp enough to make a clean cut. The shell is together and I wasn't going to use all the window and door trim anyway but it will take more than the usual finishing to make this really nice. The window frames will take awhile to cut since there are eleven windows. The sashes are passable since the frames hide most of the edges. I would just get upgraded windows but none would really fit without making the openings bigger. This is such a nice style house but it's not much fun to build when the pieces are in such poor shape. I think the only house I ever built that had parts that had nicely cut edges requiring little sanding was the Arthur. They should all be this way. Die cut should not be ragged edges like this Willow is.

I spent the day cutting bigger window holes and need to get six windows from HBS to finish, roughly $35.00. The only thing usable in this entire kit was the basic shell, the stairs and the chimneys and those had defects. If it appears I am complaining, I am. At this point I doubt I will ever build another die cut house. I don't have the patience, time, skill or the money to fool with this any more. I don't want to buy power tools and giant tubs of wood filler and spackle because this is not fun. I got into minis for fun. I will finish this Willow one way or the other but that's it. From now on it's 3/8 inch plywood or nothing. I don't expect any answers to this post. I'm letting customer service know tomorrow just how disappointed I am.

You sound so down! I don't blame you. But do cheer up! The challenge will keep you going! I know it sounds tride, but when life hands you lemons (dollhouses with problems), just make lemonade! Just keep adding more sugar and before you know it, you will have the sweetest dollhouse around!

Hugs and good luck!

Wolfie

Venting can be very therapeutical (sp?) and I know that you in the end will have a great house looking at you all dressed up and ready to be filled with goodies. And while dressing her up adding the wood filler and sanding you will be able to "talk" to the house about the interior as well :yikes:

Hugs and good luck with the process, please share pics if you can

I also agree with Wolfie and Anna. When I was building the Van Buren, I couldn't believe the shape the wood was in, it was absolutely terrible. I made alot of the trim pieces myself because when I went to sand the originals, they just fell apart. I knew it was an older kit so I accepted the challenge and it's one of the nicest houses I've ever done and it definitely is the one that I'm most proud of. I totally understand your frustration, but I hope you don't give up on these beautiful Greenleaf dollhouses.

I called Greenleaf and am happy to say they will take care of the problem. I couldn't really send it back so worked on it some and cut the window holes bigger. Eleven windows is a lot but the basic shell was OK so didn't want to trash it. I had some windows but had to order six more from HBS. I primed the inside and used some wallpaper I've had in the two middle bedrooms. I spackled the living room to look like plaster and just painted the kitchen and living room beige. Haven't decided on the attic yet. I didn't punch out the attic windows. The stairs were not too bad but I had to reinforce all the railings. Like the windows they were all split and falling apart. I couldn't stain as I usually do so painted them spice brown which is a dark maple color. It looks like a very plain colonial house with no trim. I painted it colonial grey/green with the window frames the same color as the house. I saw one like it in Early American Life magazine. It will be late 1800's, no plumbing except a pump in the kitchen. I'm just using up supplies I had and except for the windows it won't cost too much to make it look OK. I've been doing Greenleaf houses since 1989 and I think I'll just make smaller ones for awhile. I have three Jeffersons and that's my favorite Greenleaf house. If they ever bring that back I'd get another one.