Making Paper towel blankets

Minis On The Edge

It looks GREAT Nancy! Will have to get that new colour ink cartridge installed soon, have been dragging my feet to do that as I need to take the printer apart as well to give it some good and long overdue clean up....

Hugs

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what if your papertowel brand of choice isn't rectangular? for some odd reason my boyfriend absolutely insists on getting this one brand with perfectly square sheets. i'd question it, but the poor dear has OCD and some things you just learn to accept pretty quickly. but yes, back on topic - do you think it's feasible to just trim the paper towel to size?

Yes, you can trim them. That's what I did with mine, I used the "specialty papers" option on my printer with a 2-ply towel. Then I had to glue the plies together (they began to separate at the edges) after printing and that gave it an old look.

My paper towel is 2 ply. After I cut the door mat to size, they seemed like the top layer was coming off so I carefully pulled them apart and put it face down and lined the back (2 rows wide) with scotch tape. I used that because it was right in front of me. I think perhaps masking tape would be a better backing. Then I turned it right side and trimmed the tape. There was a sliver of tape sticking out over the edge. The rug is now stronger than the 2 ply towel was by itself.

If I had to trim a paper towel to fit, I would trim it just smaller than the width of the plain paper and tape the raw edges to the paper. Then you can cut out the item since it won't be all the way to the edge any way, leaving the tape attached to the plain paper.

If I had to trim a paper towel to fit, I would trim it just smaller than the width of the plain paper and tape the raw edges to the paper. Then you can cut out the item since it won't be all the way to the edge any way, leaving the tape attached to the plain paper.

This is how I did to get the biking shirts for the bike shop last year. I had a plain white cotton piece of fabric I taped to a paper and fed that through the printer, cut it out, sew together turned the right side out and hey presto a neat sweater...

Hugs

This is a great Idea, Thanks for the thread

I went out to find some napkins with flowers

and of corse the season no one has them.

I wanted to make lamp shades out of them

by draping it over a ball and then decopage

it to retain the shape I think this will work :)

Wow, what great ideas. And thanks for the basic instructions (tape to a regular sheet of paper, etc.) I was wondering how that would work! I'm guessing that you'd tape the handkerchief to the paper, too?

I've got to try this. I love quilts, and they're SO expensive! :)

I've read that freezer paper (it's only waxed on one side) works as well as butcher paper & comes in rolls like waxed paper; you iron the fabric to the shiny side. I think if you use the paper towel or napkin instead of fabric it would work as well to tape it. Check Tracy's original post here.

• 3 years later...

Great topic!!! Thanks for the tip about the hankerchiefs too!!! Another thing I had seen someone from NAME at a show do with these is glue the quilt to tin foil after it was printed, that way they could make it lay right on a bed and get the corners to lay like a RL one. It was really neat!!! The woman who was showing it said she looks at the quilting lines in the different paper towels for different quilting motifs.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread and who doesn't love a great mini quilt?! I tried ironing my fabric to wax paper but my printer just kept eating the wax paper. So then I tried a sheet of cardstock and used masking tape to seal down all of the edges. I have a Lexmark and it worked perfectly!!! This was a quilt pattern that I found on Jim's printie website and I love the way it turned out! :p

100_4197-730514.JPG

The freezer paper is handy stuff to have around. I have used it quite a bit for printing fabric. Or, you can cut designs out of it, iron them in place on fabric, and then spray bleach on the fabric (I use denim) and let it dry. When you remove the paper pieces, you have a great design on the fabric. What I've thought about, and plan to try soon, is printing a pattern off on it. Then cut out the little pattern pieces (I'm thinking mini furniture) and iron them to the piece of wood, so you can easily cut precise pieces.

Jess, you're printed quilt turned out great! I like your way of taping the cloth to the paper, gonna try that one! I usually use the sheets you buy for making rugs and such ,$13.00 for 7 sheets,this way is much more economical! :p

• 4 months later...

Man, I tried this and I am soooo psyched!!! this is awesome! I hope I can get my hands on some viva plain so I can do some clothing for over the banister. Thanks for sharing.

Sara I am so glad you dug this up! I am scared to get the paper towel stuck inside my new printer though! Do you just lay the paper towel right on the paper tray and let it rip? If I mess up this printer I will just have a fit!

what i did was put the paper towel on a piece of card stock and then taped it tightly with out ripping it and made sure the tape was down tight. it worked well. Just make sure the tape is down all the way or else it might get stuck.

I did but I don't know if you have to. just don't get it wet. I sprayed with a workable fixative. It dries really fast cause the papertowel just magically absorbs the ink and spray.