10/30/07 Infomercial Scam

Minis On The Edge

It was for some wrinkle eraser, can't remembe the name of it. Supposed to put it on and then lie down with your head back. let it dry for 30 minutes.

I had a hot date coming up and the guy was younger than me.. LOL It was a blind date and I was self consience about my wrinkles.

So.. this product was supposed to dramatically and instantly improve your skin and diminish wrinkles. I called, ordered it, got it within days.

Used it.. NOthing. No difference at all. What a scam! I should have sent it back. I've seen it again on tv and sucked my teeth at it. Phhhtttttt!

IF it sounds too good to be true.. It usually is.

Oh and by the way... about that date? He stood me up.. I guess he was a scaredy cat. I never heard from him again.

If I see that infomercial again.. I'll post the name of the product.

MIchelle

I use Bare Minerals makeup and I have seen infomercials for it, but it is actually pretty good stuff. Most stuff including those "TV only" things seem to end up on the shelves of thriftshops pretty quick and when you see the quality of something like to pot with the straining lid for pasta, you can see why! (But wait! If you order now you will get a SECOND.... absolutely FREE!). I am always tempted by the magic wrinkle stopping stuff...

Honestly I have never fallen for any of the garbage they sell on tv for informercials. I have heard bad things about that acne stuff..The one that Vanessa Williams and Jessica Simpson sells.

3 different friends of Chelseas were using it. Their faces cleared up wonderfully. But the instant you stop using it, your face breaks out 10x worse then before you used it.

(i would rather go to the dermatologist)

I admit I'm a owner of the Magic Bullet - chopping, mixing thinga magig.

But for the size it works pretty good. :lol:

(we got ours in a store tho not online)

We had one also. It broke within the warranty and they sent us a replacement for a small fee. This one also broke. I really liked how it worked, when it worked. :thumb: . I won't get another one.

I fell for the Hot/Cold soldering iron thingy. It don't work for Minis!! The wires are to small to activate the heat so I gave up and told myself never to fall for something that seems to be too good to be true :thumb:

Once DH bought a workbench with a bazillion clamps that he has used & used for all sorts of projects and gotten his money out of it (it had a limited run and stopped, one of the signs we figured it was a real product vs a scam). Otherwise we ignore infomercials (although I absolutely howled when I watched "Holy Man"). DS#1's wife has a close friend who works at HSN or QVC, one of those home shopping networks, and she buys a lot of stuff that way, but what I've seen that she has is actually nice stuff.

When we did have a TV - back in the California days - Doug did buy a Health Rider. And there it sits in the basement. I'm tempting to call Freecycle here in Seeley and get rid of it. It still works, but it hurts his back and I don't like the dang thing!

Wolfie

• 2 months later...

Greg and I laugh our butts off at the morons they get to do things the "regular" way. The newest one is the craft cutter with the light in it... ok, so it looks like it could be pretty cool, but COME ON! Where'd they find that person who never used scissors before? He also likes to point out that doing things the "old" way turns your whole world black & white. ;)

I fell for the steam iron years ago... worked pretty well until it started leaking salt water all over.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I've broken down and bought through a TV ad is the Muppet Show Time Life series... and the only mistake I made with that was purchasing the VHS instead of DVD - that was way back when DVD was a relatively new thing. And now it doesn't matter since they're being RE-released by season.

I've noticed if the item is quality enough to make it in the infomercial phase, you usually see it in stores not too much later (chia pet?).

However, we have a store in our mall called "As Seen On TV". Wow, that store can detox you pretty quickly from EVER wanting to buy something on an infomercial. The store just SMELLS cheap, broken and next-stop-yardsale-ish.

I admit I'm a owner of the Magic Bullet - chopping, mixing thinga magig.

But for the size it works pretty good. :p

(we got ours in a store tho not online)

Besides owning a magic bullet that was a disapointment my same son bought us a "set it and forget it" rotisserie oven from an infomercial. We used it a few times and I found I did not want to be bothered cleaning all the parts and the inside of the oven to get all the chicken off the glass. I could save time and energy buying a rotisserie chicken already cooked at the market.

hubby bought an $80 hot dog cooker while i was sleeping, used it once, put it in the box and it's been there for almost 2 years now. i put it on ebay and nobody wanted it,lol!

• 2 weeks later...

I admit I've had my eye on that Sharpening Shark, or whatever they are called. And my husband keeps oohhing and aahhing over the Mighty Putty.

Our local CVS drug store usually carries a bunch of that As Seen on TV stuff on a portion of an aisle, so if I see either one of those products, I can at least check them out before I buy.

I did buy one of those Hearing Aid types of things...can't remember the official name of it...Songbird...something like that. It actually works pretty well....I got it to use when watching TV...however, I seem to be too lazy to actually use it and just turn the volume up!

I remember years and years ago, they had the commercials for the famous Ginsu knives...anyone remember them? I broke down and ordered them. My kids father, whom I was married to at the time, laughed at me for falling for the commercial. However, the knives were good....they had cheap handles, though. Plastic with some kind of silver type trim that began to peel after several washings in the dishwasher. However, those suckers were SHARP....and I used them for many years. I wouldn't be surprised if my ex doesn't still have a couple in his kitchen drawers.

My mum bought a "Power Rider", I had a go, know wonder they said you only needed to use it a few minutes per day, its by far one of the hardest piece of exercise equipment I have ever used, and I actually enjoy working out :wave:.

• 1 month later...
Im thinking about getting tater mitts. I figure I have about 5lbs of potatoes to make for easter.

http://www.tatermitts.com/

Tater mitts only work on already boiled potatoes and don't work too well at that! A local radio station randomly tests this sort of stuff and they did those about a month ago. The news guy that takes stuff like that to random people in the are to test took them to a restraunt and the kitchen staff was horribly unimpressed as well.

I have a bunch of those space saver bags and use them when packing for flights, they're not so great at keeping a seal long term, but for making some extra room in a suitcase they're pretty nice. Plus, they're a nice safeguard against shampoo and such should it somehow make it out of the plastic bags you have them packed in.

• 1 month later...

I watch all the infomericials, just for a laugh. However that billy Mays guy needs to lower his voice. I used the Oxy Clean. Worked great on my white car seats that were stained with coffee. The mighty putty is useless, it does not work. And I also have seen all the infomercials regarding exercise videos. I am cheap, so I downloaded them so I can preview before actually buying. Again useless. I wanted a magic bullet but hearing that they break easily I didn't get one. I am still eyeing the Oreck Air purifyer though. I guess I am a sucker for the infomercials.