Question about the willow build time

birdmom

I am getting ready to build my first bigger than a cottage size house. I had pretty much decided on the Willow because it looked fairly straightforward and like an easy build. But when I checked the build time here it said 30 hours, but the Garfield was only 20 hours. From the pictures it looks like the Willow would be much simpler than the Garfield.

The basic shell to the Willow goes together fairly quickly. The stairs take awhile . Also there is no second floor stair so that takes some time cutting the hole, etc. I have built two Willows and did not use all the window and door trim and went with the plainer Colonial look which saves a lot of time and is the look I want. It's a nice house with larger than average rooms. The chimneys look hard to do but aren't so bad. There are no awkward angles to deal with in any of the rooms. I also left out the bookcase/fireplace section in the living room and used free standing fireplaces instead which also saves time. I've never built a Garfield but the Willow I'm sure would take much less time.

My willow took awhile to do. Most of the time was just from the shingles and never ending siding!!!

I didn't use all the door trim, but did all the rest on the windows and such, and it turned out pretty good. The shell itself goes together fast, but, the stairs are a pain in the you know what. I ended up not even using the kit stairs cause I couldn't get them in lol.

The bookshelves in the living room really made the room, I thought. They took some patience getting them in, as well as some trimming of the top to get it to fit in there. Make sure the assembly is GOOD and DRY before trying to cram it in there, it's a tight fit!!

But, I must say that this house is very easy to decorate once you have the shell up. I kinda did it as I went, and it was fine. Lost of room to add lots of goodies!!

Good luck and post pics!!