11-28-05 Space Travel

Minis On The Edge

"Top Ten Reasons for Going Into Space

Note: the original list can be found here.

Reason Number 10

Colonization: it's a long shot, but there are serious people who still claim that we can travel to mars and turn it into livable space for humankind. The process is called "terraforming".

Reason Number 9

Intelligence Surveillance: Ok maybe we wouldn't bother placing a spy satellite over the Hawaiian Tropics contest (then again maybe we would) but the very first truly functional (i.e. non-experimental) satellite was a U.S. spy satellite. This was the Corona series, first operational in August of 1960. The U.S. maintained a strong lead in this super-secret technology throughout the cold war and it was the only distinct intelligence advantage this nation ever really had. Since the U.S. won the cold war, you simply can't dismiss the importance of this capability.

Reason Number 8

International Diplomacy: this one speaks for itself. It's the only reason we went to the moon.

Reason Number 7

Natural Resources: this one may be reaching, but there are people who believe that we would want to mine the asteroids & the moon for minerals. The most credible argument for this is assuming we would want to build a huge space structure and wouldn't want to have to loft the raw material into earth orbit or higher on rocket power.

Reason Number 6

Researching the universe: this one also speaks for itself. The discoveries and observations made from the Hubble telescope alone are staggering, and could never have been made from earth because of the obscuring effect of the atmosphere.

There are new discoveries being made every day, such as finding planets around other stars and discovering the true structure of the outer solar system (the Kuiper belt).

Reason Number 5

Technology Spin-Offs: this also speaks for itself, although the list of new technologies just goes on and on and on. These new technologies mean new industries, new jobs, and saved lives. For example, kidney dialysis, which has kept (and still keeps) countless people alive, came from the Apollo program. A new artificial heart came from technology used in Space Shuttle. New insulin pumps can eliminate the need for injections for diabetics, and the space program is constantly producing new materials for prosthetic devices.

Reason Number 4

Researching the sun, moon, and planets: - planetary probes like Voyager, Pioneer, Viking and Pathfinder landers on Mars, Magellan probe to Venus, these and others have all changed our entire view of the solar system and all the planets. Nothing else has ever given us the close-up view of the planets or their moons. For example, no telescope could ever have shown us the volcanoes on Jupiter's inner moon Io or the ice on Jupiter's second moon Europa. Nothing could ever have given us the clue that there could be life on those moons, aside from the space probes we've sent.

With these probes and the new, powerful orbiting telescopes we've put in place, we are updating our once-simple view of the solar system - learning about the many asteroids and comets and their complex orbits. We are only now becoming aware that an asteroid or comet may have been the end of the dinosaurs, and could be the end of us. By studying our solar system, knowing what's there and what threatens us, and devising the capability of averting disaster, space exploration could mean the very survival of the human race.

We may care very much some day about this reason for space exploration.

Reason Number 3

Marvin's autograph: well maybe not his, but the more we learn about our solar system and the universe the more likely it is that we'll someday contact intelligent life.

Reason Number 2

Satellites in orbit: The biggie in my opinion - you would not be reading this page if it weren't for communications satellites that make the world wide web possible. Thousands and thousands of lives would be lost each year to hurricanes if it weren't for weather forecasting satellites. Even the war in Iraq would have come out differently (and not in favor of the allies) if it weren't for satellite positioning capabilities. The civilized world owes much of what it is today to satellite technology.

Reason Number 1

Because it's there: This one may seem whimsical but it is not. The society that stops exploring and begins to stagnate begins to die. It is only through the constant effort to learn and to achieve that we remain vigorous, bright, and strong. The fact that we don't know yet what is out there, and the fact that space represents our final limitation, is reason enough for us to strive to master it. Note that the same could be said for the ocean floor. "

This is what I found, frankly I think they're looking at a new place to put all of the garbage, landfills are filling up. LOL

Peggi

Why do we travel to outer space? What are the advantages? Disadvantages?

Why go? Because it's there. Getting there is a problem to be solved & if we're busy solving it maybe we won't be busy thinking up ways to blow each other to smithereens

Advantages? My goodness, look at all the technological advances we've made in the past 50 years!

isadvantages? Let's not take our petty rivalries & polluting, wasteful tendencies out there with us.

There are many good reasons. One of them is all the jobs it creates getting us into space. The advantages never stop. We now have satellite communications globally, and can see things happening in far off places almost instantly. Many internet connections beam back and forth thru our orbiting communications satellites making it possible for us to meet miniaturists easily from all over the world.

And we have GPS systems to help us not get lost or to find the place we're looking for. And let's not forget pens that will write upside down. Also many medical discoveries were made and knowlege gained about how our bodies actually work and grow and heal as we monitored our astronauts (and other living things taken along for the ride) in weightlessness.

Even though they aren't as accurate as we'd like YET, our understanding of weather and how it works and our ability to forecast it has improved as well.

I could go on and list countless things. But basically, what I'm trying to say is that simply by exploring unknown realms ALL of humanity reaps the rewards of this exploration. Eventually.

But I've really smiled a lot at some of the answers. To find more mini's or to spread the hobby? GRIN! Good ones!

Darrell

While I'm all for advancements in human care and wouldn't want to give up my dishwasher or cell phone, I still long for simpler times when a letter in the mail was cause for excitement, hearing a loved one's voice on the telephone meant more than reading a few lines over the internet and the stars were meant for gazing not scrutinizing.

Somehow, I look at the technological advances and know my Dad would be amazed if he were alive today. I remember as a child he watched the first men walk on the moon, at the time computers, just one, was as big as a whole room--and could probably only be considered a big calculator today, compared to our personal PC's and laptops. Another advantage in the technology is what we are now able to do with graphics, sending an email was virtually unknown back in '69 when he died, and now with laser technology medical advances have been so far along that I have the comfort to know, that someone else would not suffer now with a brain anorism?(I don't know if I spelled it right) as he did, at such a young age. My stepfather worked with computers for years, and is still amazed at the fact I can put my laptop in front of him and receive email, surf the net, and work on pictures also.

I agree in our high tech age we have advanced past the old time traditions of letter writing and a kinder, more gentler age has passed us by--it is now considered acceptable for people to be rude if it is in their best interests, or if it infringes on their 'rights'--courtesy I have found is almost a thing of the past, which is a symptom of our age. So I partly agree with Teresa here, written invitations and thank you notes are almost a thing of the past, as is wishing on a fallen star.

As for the old Star Trek adage, 'To go where no man has gone before,' I think trekking through the mountains or observing an eagle fly is more exciting to me than going to the moon or Mars. There is still much on Earth that we haven't explored yet.

• 1 month later...

I know.

To let Eminem, Elton John, Britney Spears, Beyonce Knowels and last but not least.

The one and only Michael Jackson out of the air lock. Let them try and sing then hehehe. :D

Oh. I forgot to include George Bush and Tony Blair didn't I?