Clapboard first? or windows first?

Sharon-UK

The instructions imply that I should glue on the windows etc. first, then cut the clapboard to fit around them. But looking at some of the building blogs, some people glue the clapboard on first, then glue the windows on top of the clapboard. Which is better? Don't you get a noticeable line of clapboard inside the window frame with the second method? I am building the Willowcrest.

Best wishes,

Sharon

The instructions imply that I should glue on the windows etc. first, then cut the clapboard to fit around them. But looking at some of the building blogs, some people glue the clapboard on first, then glue the windows on top of the clapboard. Which is better? Don't you get a noticeable line of clapboard inside the window frame with the second method? I am building the Willowcrest.

Best wishes,

Sharon

You do NOT want to insall windows until AFTER you have done whatever decorating you wish to the rest of the walls. Even if you are steady enough of hand to paint the frames & trims without splotching paint all over the clear plastic inserts, you'll compound the difficulty once the house is assembled.

I made the mistake of listening to the advice of installing the siding FIRST and then the trims, etc, on the first house I sided, which was the Westville, and was for a customer. It messed up the thickness of the exterior walls to the extent that I had to perform surgery on the gingerbread trim the customer insisted she wanted. Since then, here's what I do, I lay the door or window trim over the opening it goes to and I trace around it (pen or pencil doesn't matter, it'll get covered up) and butt my siding up to the outline. Once the siding is on & painted I can paint my window trims & frames and pop them into place :D

• Like 1

on the beacon hill, i installed the siding first, then the windows...it looks great on the outside. I still need to install all of the interior window trim, so i don't know how much trim i will have to custom to fill in any gaps. I really like the look of the trim over siding tho.

I think it all comes down to personal preference. I've done it both ways. Installing the windows OVER the siding gives you a neater look....however it tends to look a bit strange.

You can install your windows first and then cut out the siding to fit...which can be a pain sometimes.

If you use sections of siding, which are about 3" x 24", you have a larger area you have to cut and shape to fit. Individual siding makes it easier.

All in all, I prefer to install my windows first, then add my siding, butting the individual siding strips up to the window. And no, I don't paint the siding first. My windows are painted when they are installed. I paint the siding AFTER it's installed. However, it's extremely hard for some to keep a steady hand when painting. I am lucky and have done it enough that I have acquired an extremely steady and light hand, but that's from years of practice.

Like I said, personal preference.

I installed the windows first then cut the siding around them on the Beacon. I also wonder if you do the siding first then the windows will it cause a problem on the inside when it comes to the trim. I guess it all depends on if you feel you can get a neat cut around the windows on the outside. I'm no expert and I managed to do it. :D

I dry fit but do not glue the windows then trace around the outside and take them back out. Then I install the siding but I do not glue the last 1/2" or so where it will touch the shell. I only glue the part that laps over then next siding strip. This way I can go over where the window edge mark a bit and not have to keep trimming. Then I put the window back in and trim the siding right to the edge with a fine blade. I usually use thin siding, so it is easy to trim. After I paint the siding I glue in the finished windows with rubber cement, not wood glue, so they come out easily if they need to be removed.

There are several excellent methods described here! I wonder if this thread can be put somewhere more "permanent" so we can go back and look again later? For now, I'll print it out, but a "sticky" would be nice! :)

There are several excellent methods described here! I wonder if this thread can be put somewhere more "permanent" so we can go back and look again later? For now, I'll print it out, but a "sticky" would be nice! :)

I second that! Thanks for all the useful advice.

Jackie

wow! there is so much good advice here. Thank you very much to everyone who replied. I like the idea of painting the windows first and dry fitting them, tracing around the outline, and fitting the clapboard to the pencil outline before putting the window on. I think I will try it that way with one window, and see how it works. I know from experience that I will be much better off if I can paint the clapboard and windows separately and not have to try to keep the one from contaminating the other.

Thanks again,

Sharon-UK

• 2 weeks later...

This topic has been a huge dilema for me. I have dont it it both ways.

On my first Beacon Hill I applied the siding afterwards and I have to tell you that I was extremely disappointed with the results. My house had been coming out perfect until that siding went up. No matter how well I tried to cut the siding around doors and windows, it just never ended up having that nice neat finished look. I wanted to cry by the time I was done with it because it was my dream house and I felt the siding completely ruined it. Of course, Im a perfectionist and Im easily bothered by things that are quite unnoticeable and wouldnt bother anyone else, but anyways, that was my experience.

On my second Beacon Hill, I vowed to not make that mistake again and I put the siding on before I put any trim, windows or doors. The difference is amazing. Its like night and day from the first one. All of the edges came out incredibly smooth and neat. The doors and windows are very visible and detailed without trim butting up against them. You can stand as close as possible to the house and look at the windows in detail without seeing any gaps or rough parts.

I had no problems doing the house this way. All I did was apply extra pressure to the siding around the windows and door openings so it will lay as flat as possible as the glue dried. I took that extra precaution on the exterior corners as well. Putting the windows after the siding did not impede with the interior window trim in any way. Everything is flush on the interior just like when I put the siding last. I liked it so much that I also applied the shingles on before I put in the dormers to get that same neat look with them as well.

You will want to use a good tacky glue to apply your siding if you plan on putting it before you do the windows because remember, your windows and doors will now be resting on the siding so you want to make sure that your siding is well glued with a good quality glue so it doesnt come loose in the future. In the end, its your own personal preference but that was my experience and I will never put siding on last.

• Like 1

I decided to do the clapboard first for under window frames, shutters. I tried doing it by putting on the window boxes on first on my Washington 2.0 too. Both ways worked, equally well. This info was helpful enough to make me actually do sidding, and I really enjoyed it. Thanks again.

Thank you for that, Gina. I found it most useful, as I'm almost up to doing the siding on my BH.

Does it matter what type of paint you use to paint the siding? I'm thinking of the unstuck, overlapped edges going wavy :flowers:

Jackie

Thank you for that, Gina. I found it most useful, as I'm almost up to doing the siding on my BH.

Does it matter what type of paint you use to paint the siding? I'm thinking of the unstuck, overlapped edges going wavy :drool:

Jackie

I used acryllic craft paint to paint my BH. I always use acryllics for my houses because of the fantastic color choices.

Believe me, your siding will warp if you use water based glue and paint but dont panic. If you keep it down with masking tape, it will stay down. I basically didnt even need to use masking tape in some areas and the siding warped like you wouldnt believe, it realy lifted up and curled massively, but once the glue dried, it was completely flat. Its going to look scary but in the end it will work out.

Once the glue is dried, the paint will not cause another warping issue. I used Aileens Fast Grab Tacky Glue for my siding. I painted after glueing it on, not before.

• Like 1

That works for me, too. You could also seal the side of your siding you glue to the house and it may help minimize the "curl". I noticed when I stain both sides of the shingles first the curling goes back down more than if I do just one side.

• 14 years later...

There is a video on the BH dollhouse. I’m in the process of finishing all my decorations interior. The instructions for the BH says siding after the windows are installed. Not happening after the post here that I’ve read. This is my second dollhouse and I waited a year before I could afford the kit. So Thank you all for your advice.