Windows from scratch

Friendly

Since the windows in the Laurel I just rehabbed were destroyed with hot glue, I had to make new ones. I made basic casement windows, with only one in the bedroom working (hinged on one edge). I made exterior and interior trims for the window openings from stripwood for the non-working windows and used transparency sheets for all the "panes". For the working casement I made a second set of interior & exterior frames to fit inside the window opening. I used narrow strips of chamois for hinges, sandwiching them between the pieces of frame & trim.

For nonworking sash windows you can cut down craftsticks thin enough for the mullions.

I was very frustrated with the lack of interior trim for the Buttercup and ended up making my own for the last two I built. We will enjoy seeing pictures of yours.

i'm not using the plastic windows that came with my jefferson, so if anyone would like them just pay for the shipping and they are yours! i've also discarded the shingles and siding...again free if you want them, it would only be a few dollars to ship them.

thanks for the northeastern link! we don't have any miniatures stores around here anymore :D so i can only shop online. i'm always happy to find a new site!

Every doll house deserves working windows. And while plastic allows finer detail I don't use plastic in my doll houses not even plexiglass. We each have our own style of building. I purchased various sizes of basswood from the local Michael's and since it is raining the yard work will be put on hold (oh, darn) and I'll be working on windows.

Non-yardworking weather is one of many perfect excuses to mini!

How true!!! SO I had my mind set for an afternoon indoors this morning when going to work as it was raining, perhaps not cats and dogs but atleast a heavy downpour, and guess what now when I am home again it is not rainig the least bit, the sun is even trying to show itself :D ... SO perhaps aquick round in the garden to see if there is something that needs my immediate attention or if I can hold of til the weekend and get some mini-ing done???

And as for the widows, they can be as simple or as ornated as your own imagination wants them to be, and depending on what material you find to work with... :cheer:

Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do!

Hugs

I work from my own home and this is my down time.

Ahhh, well over here it is almost 4 pm and I am home from school again after one of those "rainy" days, not a good day to be a teacher LOL as the kids aren't outdoors in the extent they usually are which gives bad temper, tired little ones etc etc in the afternoons...

Hugs

I'm also making my own windows right now and I'm looking for tips on how to do the mullions. Do you think its best to cut many small (like 1 inch) pieces of strip wood and butt them up against each other to form the grid. Or, is it best to cut out longer (like 3 inch) pieces of strip wood and notch them out where they cross to form the grid.

Does this make sense?

I think I'd make the horizontal strips the width of the window and cut smaller pieces to glue in for the horizontal bits. And I'd definitely set up a jig of some kind -- straight pins in Styrofoam? -- to keep them squared up while the glue dries.

(Note: when I first typed this, I suggested making the vertical strips in one piece, but then I got to thinking that maybe the eye will notice irregularities in the horizontal lines more quickly than the vertical lines. But I guess either one would work.)

Or, is it best to cut out longer (like 3 inch) pieces of strip wood and notch them out where they cross to form the grid.
Depends, Andrea, on whether these be working sash windows, the notched mullions might be a wee bit sturdier (ooo, I do apologize, I had no intention of punning!). You would need to be very exact in your measurements & cuts, as Linda pointed out, and you could use your window frames for the jigs for the mullions.

This from someone who is yet to make a window :) but I would think the more pieces you have to assemble the more likely something is to be out of alignment.

That makes sense. I'm wondering how hard it would be to make tidy notches without chopping the little bits into smaller bits. Good luck and sure fingers to all of the window carpenters! ;)

That makes sense. I'm wondering how hard it would be to make tidy notches without chopping the little bits into smaller bits. Good luck and sure fingers to all of the window carpenters! :)

Resisting the urge to chop little bits into smaller bits is always a challenge in miniature woodworking, especially when it does not go the way it is supposed to, lol

Actually, I have made ONE window. It wasn't bad for a first try. I have assembled windows from a Dura Craft kit but that isn't the same as making them from scratch, or without scratches, lol

That makes sense. I'm wondering how hard it would be to make tidy notches without chopping the little bits into smaller bits. Good luck and sure fingers to all of the window carpenters! :)
I had really good luck using a gouge from my mini woodcarving set to cut grooves in the tongue-blade sized craft sticks for the craft stick shelves in Maggie's bookcases. I would expect with careful measuring & a jig the window paned could be done. Besides, it would be fun to give it a try, if they turn out well they can be posted and bragged on, and if they son't, who will ever know?

• 6 years later...

I have a little booklet on how to make windows, doors, staircases from scratch, including the trim around them. If you would like a copy of it, let me know.

Wolfie

Do you still have that book?