I am super excited! My fireplace, which I based off of a tutorial on this forum, turned out AWESOME!!! Thank you, Tracy (Minis On The Edge)!
The only things I changed on the fireplace were: Instead of paper clay, I used "Toothpaste Putty" made from toothpaste, white glue, water, and cornstarch. I hand colored my stones with markers and then wiped over them with black, brown, and reddish oil paint on Q-tips and paper towels. Also, I used foam and cardboard layers glued together for the frame. My flickering "fire" is made from part of a battery operated candle tea light, 2 for a dollar at the local dollar store. You just pry off the outside of the candle, and use a dremel to cut off the excess plastic around the lighting unit. Then, mix coffee grinds in with the toothpaste putty and apply it all around the light. (For ashes.) After it dries, glue on the logs and dot the whole thing with black paint. If desired, color the bulb red with a marker.
DO NOT glue the candle/log/ashes piece into the fireplace. You want it to be a removable unit so that you can replace the battery.
Here's a video: http://www.facebook.com/v/10150137425666736