A Circle of Mini Joy

CatColorado

Linda and I have been considering instituting a circle format for a bit of a change up. This wouldn't replace the swaps, however it would allow people who don't feel they have time to join a regular swap to participate. In the circle, you would only have to make one item to fit the theme. Person A would make an item for Person B, Person B would make an item for Person C, and Person C would make an item for Person A. There would be no hub involved, you would direct ship.

The themes/items would be a little more challenging since you would only have to craft one item. Only 25% of your item should be premade, meaning that if you are making an arbor and you buy the flowers (including flower kits), everything else will have to be custom made by you. No kits for the remaining 75%.

This seemed a fair replacement for the Secret Pal event we ran before, since many of you have indicated a desire to do that again. I'm still recovering from the last round, so I am hoping this will seem like an appealing replacement.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious here....I read a post earlier about someone who was not interested with reasons why. I am wondering why that post is no longer displayed? That is hardly democratic, will every post that is uninterested in the idea be deleted? Does one actually get a real feel for the topic without multiple views?

I did not view that post as confrontational nor is this one let me be clear. I am just the person who stands for ideas and democracy. THis forum is for sharing ideas and views and experiences. I think the deleted post did that and should have remained.

You"ll have to take that up with Linda, I had no involvement. My apologises if anyone was offended, I don't believe that was her intent. Please delete your duplicate post if you would.

Cat, I think it's a great idea!! I've had ideas for swap items, but they were just too complicated to do for a large number of people. The circle would be a great addition to the swaps. It offers a choice of participation in our mini community and I think that's great!

Deb

Just curious here....I read a post earlier about someone who was not interested with reasons why.

I attempted to hide the post until I could discuss it with the other moderators, and deleted it instead. Oops. It seemed to me to be a bit too negative and I wanted to hide it until I could read it further later and discuss it, but ....

Mostly, that particiular post did not deal with this particular idea, it dealt with the April swap. Although this is not the place to address difficulties with the April swap because this is something different I will go ahead and do it here anyway:

We are behind on the April swap because the majority of the participants, who are the actual decision makers in ALL swaps, have decided to allow it to be so. When one of the participants said they were having trouble, the majority posted that they were OK with waiting. Although I normally take a private poll on swaps when there is going to be a delay, there was not a need to do that because most participants already posted that they were OK with waiting, and when most say wait, we wait. We, as a group of participants, really run the swaps, and all who are participating should have a say, and always do. We actually waited for quite some time to allow Melissa's item to arrive, but it finally appeared to have been lost, so we ALL then decided to continue without it with a majority vote, and we didn't like doing that either as we really wanted her to be able to participate.

One of the MAIN reasons for the swaps is to HAVE FUN. Sometimes deadlines simply don't work because life tends to get in the way, but NONE of the PARTICIPANTS in this swap have sent me a PM to say they are unhappy with waiting, and all of them know that they can do that and are invited to do that. If I PERSONALLY have to choose between making a deadline on a swap and the health of a child and holding up a swap to allow that member who is participating to continue in their participation, then I will gladly decide to do that. I have also had my own issues to deal with in the duration of this swap, including my mother almost dying due to internal bleeding, her then getting an infection in that leg in which the internal bleeding occured and being in danger of losing that leg, my own vacation, and now I am battling a sinus infection and strep throat, for which I am on antibiotics now---and if I go to a doctor, I'm pretty danged sick since I don't like them much.

When the line is drawn on ending waiting, we draw that line as a GROUP OF PARTICIPANTS, and it hasn't been done. Swaps are so much fun that those who have participated know how much fun they are and want everyone else who can and truly want to participate to be allowed to do so.

Linda...I am sorry you feel the way you do. When I read the post I did not take it the way you have. Perhaps as hub you are taking it more personal.

I read the post as this is how many people already deal with individual item swaps, and that it MAY be redundant for that person. Yes the problem with the April swap was brought up, but I see no reason to hide it in this thread as it is open in another thread. We all know what the problem is and have no issue with it. Of course a childs health comes first!!! That it is implied that it wouldn't bothers me. There are a total of three I believe, and I know that Jen is correcting what ever went wrong there. The idea to have smaller swaps more often is not a bad one, it would allow more crativity and a slightly quicker turnaround with less POTENTIAL problems.

My issue has a whole lot more with a big brother like editing. If it is not within the scope of an individuals personal criteria it is gone and last night's events make me wonder just how often this happens on this forum. Sharing ideas and thoughts on a subject are the essence of this forum and in this topic opinions were asked. How unfortunate that the first opinion recieved did not match the desired criteria. Now if the post had profanity and personal attacks go for it delete but this one did not match that criteria whatsoever.

I applaude your activities as hub and your thoughts into providing yet another avenue for people to share talents, but please do not be offended if everyone does not jump on each wagon. I have not participated in a swap to date, I simply do not have the talent nor time these days but I do enjoy seeing the results. This forum is especially interesting because of the very wide variety or personalities and experiences and ideas. Such a melting pot here, I hope that we are all allowed to continue to share all those opinions and ideas. :flowers:

I deleted the extra post above :( I have been seeing this a lot and have been going around as the cleaning fairy :D . I am popping in to say I would love the idea of a Circle of joy swap. I personally have been so boggled down with things that I did not even realize that I had not omitted my name from the April swap. I only told a few people but I was scheduled for surgery in April. I did not have it because of a new complication that popped up (Now it is scheduled for July Tentatively). Right now, one on one swaps sounds fun and like something I can handle better than the big swaps right now. I do apologize for not telling you all sooner but I really did think I had posted to remove my name from the swap.

I am sorry people are offended that Linda Deleted the post. Linda does not know how to use all of the moderating options yet because of the fact that we don't use them often here. There has been occasion that we have had to be diligent about bad things slipping into the forum. As Linda said, this was not one of them, she only intended to "hide" that message.

She PM'd me last night because we were gonna open it up in a new topic for discussion because she wanted to only discuss the circle of joy swap here in this topic, but she had inadvertently deleted the posts even before I was able to read them. We want to know how you all feel about the "Circle of Joy swap" which is why a topic was opened regarding it :flowers:

Thanks for your reply Tracy and for clearing that up. I am sorry you need any kind of surgery. I really hope it is not something serious.

I had posted that this swap would not interest me personally as I already do one on one swaps with people.

As for the pms, no one wanted to complain for fear of 'ruffling feathers' but many were complainining to each other. I pmed Linda with my questions to handle this off the thread, but have not heard back from her.

Thanks for your reply Tracy and for clearing that up. I am sorry you need any kind of surgery. I really hope it is not something serious.

I had posted that this swap would not interest me personally as I already do one on one swaps with people.

As for the pms, no one wanted to complain for fear of 'ruffling feathers' but many were complainining to each other. I pmed Linda with my questions to handle this off the thread, but have not heard back from her.

I wish people would send PMs to the mods of this area or even me. If a problem arises, how can it be solved if no one is telling someone who can help "fix" things? Miscommunication can make a small thing look entirely different than was intended. :flowers: I know I have said things that were taken entirely the wrong way and their were feelings hurt and it was not my intention at all (I am sure we all have experianced this once in our life , me I can tell you my mouth has my footprints in it all of the time).

Thanks for talking about your concerns EVRYONE!! This is what makes this entire community "OUR" Community! :(

make me wonder just how often this happens on this forum.

Well, many moons ago, I could not sleep one night. I decided to read the forum at about 4am, and lo and behold someone had joined the forum and in the swaps area had posted a string of pictures depicting persons with no clothing having relations in various positions. I deleted that.

Wow, there is a lot in this thread. To answer the first question, I think a circle swap would be a great idea. I'm not sure if I would want to participate right now because I want to focus on my own projects, but I love the idea.

I also want to add in on the April swap. I think people who are not involved in the swap have read the thread and misinterpreted some of the posts and have been wondering why it is still going on without reading all the pages to understand why it is still going on. I think many of us who are involved have been curious to see how close to being done it is, but none of us are worried about it or upset about it. We all decided to extend the deadline.

I personally am thankful to the moderators for looking for issues with posts and getting rid of offensive material. Although to some it may seem extreme, I am guessing that there were valid reasons for deleting the post. I think Linda has explained her reasons and all we can ask is that they do what they think is right.

Tracy, I hope your surgery goes well. I'll keep you in my prayers. I'm sorry you won't be able to participate in the swap.

Linda, I hope you are feeling better soon as well!! You will also be in my prayers!!

I might be able to do this. Will this for adults only?

I know we keep the kid swaps separate from the grown up swaps. Because most members on this forum are grown ups, I know right now, they only want to know if their is enough interest from Grown ups right now :flowers: The kid one would be cool later too if this one goes over good.

I'm not sure if we had decided anything definite yet, but the adult swaps are open to 18 (maybe 16) and older. This idea is geared to the adult participants.

Well, many moons ago, I could not sleep one night. I decided to read the forum at about 4am, and lo and behold someone had joined the forum and in the swaps area had posted a string of pictures depicting persons with no clothing having relations in various positions. I deleted that.

Man, I miss out on all the racy stuff. The worst thing I've found was a solicitation on discount insurance.

I report suspiscious posts on other forums I belong to, as well as here, to the admins & mods. I wasn't going to post here since I've had to pretty much drop out of the swaps, but I do think a swap circle is another good way to dip a toe onto the mini waters of trying something new.

I know we keep the kid swaps separate from the grown up swaps. Because most members on this forum are grown ups, I know right now, they only want to know if their is enough interest from Grown ups right now :flowers: The kid one would be cool later too if this one goes over good.

I'm not sure if we had decided anything definite yet, but the adult swaps are open to 18 (maybe 16) and older. This idea is geared to the adult participants.

Thanks, Alysia likes to do swaps. I asked just in case she could. :(