Table and chair directions

IrishMist

Several of you asked for directions to make the black table and chairs in my Buttercup photos - so here you are -

Supplies-

Miniature wood turnings - I used Tiny Turnings because they had finials on each end, but you could also used carved chopsticks, skewers, or lathe your own dowel rods.

4 wooden stair posts or similar turnings

Wood scraps no thicker than 1/8 inch - 4 pieces at least 3 1/2 x 2 1/4, 1 piece 1 1/2 square per chair, several small pieces for drawers and trim

Glue, exacto knife, metal straight edge/ruler, sandpaper, mini clamps, black spray paint, assorted craft paints for design of your choice, 4 small nails for drawer pulls, Dremel or similar tool to finish table edges

Chair-

Cut the following,

one piece of wood 1 1/2 inches square and sand smooth

2 pieces turning, 1 3/8 including finial - ending with a flat top to glue to seat

2 pieces turning, 3 5/8 including finial

7 pieces turning, 1 1/8 plus the tiny part between turnings needs to be left sticking out on each end

sand all cut ends

Glue the flat tops of the 1 3/8 pieces to the front corners of the bottom of the seat.

Wiggle (technical term! :p ) the back of the seat into skinny sections in the 3 5/8 pieces to match height of front legs and glue in place. You may have to whittle the seat a tiny bit if it doesn’t go in easily - the turnings snap if too much pressure is applied. Work one piece of 1 1/8 turning into legs on each side of chair at desired height and glue. Evenly space the last three 1 1/8 turnings between the back uprights and glue in place.

Allow the glue to dry thoroughly . Sand lightly as needed. Spray paint and allow to dry.

I have pictures, but have not been able to get the site to upload them right now. I will post instructions for the table when I can get the pics up because it will make it much easier if you have them to follow.

If you need help, just holler!

Carol

Thanks for the directions! I just checked out your gallery and the table and chairs are really nice.

Did you make the round table with the three legs that's next to the blue armchair? I have one exactly like it that I bought years ago (like, 20!) at Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts.