Hey guys, does anyone have any great mini-maker shops with realistic hardware?

Specifically door hardware, like door latches, strike plates, etc. Also, realistic door knobs, handles, pulls. I'm thinking along the lines of the hardware in Frances Glessner Lee's Nutshell Studies

I know she had a personal carpenter make them for her, but I really want some realistic hardware!

Or are there any great tips/tricks for making them?

Thanks!

This Etsy seller has some interesting stuff: https://www.etsy.com/shop/LivingFreeInAmerica

Also for old timey hardware take a look at Olde Mountain Miniatures. On their site they only have line drawings, but the pieces are generally matte black metal. (Oh, some of what Earth and Tree carries is from Olde Mountain Miniatures, and they have photos. Also Earth & Tree is in New Hampshire, not the UK. :))

This is the first time I've seen the Jeanette Kendall doorknobs. Why would you remove the knob from the backplate? If you only want the knob (or the backplate), you might be able to make something similar with jewelry findings and crystal beads.

• Like 3

I stand corrected. I've never purchased from Earth and Tree and they are not in the UK. I can't remember or find the name of the company that I purchased so many fine hardware pieces from at the Kensington Dollshouse Show. Whenever I find it, I will post it. Sorry for the misinformation.

I stand corrected. I've never purchased from Earth and Tree and they are not in the UK...

No, E&T is in New Hampshire and I have purchased from them both in person and online and their service is most excellent.

• Like 1

I would appreciate that Sable! I saw that Pat and Noel Thomas purchased from Vix scale masters, but I believe they are out of business. That would be something I am looking for. I have googled and ebayed and can't find a single piece. Does anyone know if they changed names?

I'm watching this thread because I've never liked the cookie cutter hardware that is regularly available.

I've thought some of trying to get one of my grandsons to custom make some for me. He does that CNC style stuff with machining and metal. He's made some really interesting larger items. Not sure if he'd think Gram had 3 heads or not - ah, heck, he already knows that. hahaha

Seriously, if someone finds a vendor for interesting hardware, please post it. I'd love something unique.

There are a few CNC cutters here at my college, I just hate dealing with the tech people who work them. I am going to try and 3-D print some things, but I want it made of actual metal, not painted to appear like it. I've considered maybe shapeways.com. I know they 3-d print in metal.

I was also hoping that there would just be a vendor who makes beautifully detailed pieces. Detail sometimes gets lost in 3-d printing.

http://earthntree.com/miniatures/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=72 Go to hardware section under building materials. They are in the UK. I've been very happy with their products.

Earth and Tree is actually in New Hampshire, USA.

My suggestion for hardware—I'm a fanatic for the good stuff, too—is Olde Mountain Miniatures: http://oldemountain.com/index.php?main_page=index

I've purchased their stuff (not directly from them, but from suppliers who carry their hardware) and it's really good—out-of-the-ordinary, without breaking the bank.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, I see Emily's already mentioned Olde Mountain, and Holly's taken care of mentioning Earth and Tree. Call this a seconding of their mentions, and a call for me to read before typing, then. :)

Hey guys, does anyone have any great mini-maker shops with realistic hardware?

Specifically door hardware, like door latches, strike plates, etc. Also, realistic door knobs, handles, pulls. I'm thinking along the lines of the hardware in Frances Glessner Lee's Nutshell Studies

I know she had a personal carpenter make them for her, but I really want some realistic hardware!

Or are there any great tips/tricks for making them?

Thanks!

It took several searches of the Small Stuff Digest archives, but here is Dr Bob's tutorial for making mini hinges:

Hinges: The hinges that I made are in 1/12 scale which does not alter the method of fabrication.

The tools and materials I used are;

Needle nose pliers,

Dremel moto tool with a cut off disc,

Small sharp scissors

Straight pins (as in sewing)

Ruler; obviously (steel)

The material I made the hinges from is sheet brass; only because I happen to have some of it. The hinges can be made of any thin material. The thickness of my sheet brass is a bit less than 1/32" or 1.0mm. The hinge that I made is a Barrel hinge. one side of the hinge has a single barrel and the other side of the hinge has 2 barrels. The single barrel fits between the barrels of the side that has 2 barrels. A cut off straight pin is used as the "pin" for the hinge. It is passed thru all three barrels and cut off to fit the distance from the top of the topmost barrel to the bottom of the bottom barrel. The head of the pin is left on so it (the "pin") will not fall thru the barrels.

HOW TO MAKE THE HINGE.

Remember I made this in 1/12 scale so adjust accordingly; The completed hinge started out as two (2) individual pieces of brass sheet measuring 1/4" by 1/2" for each piece.

Find the center of the pieces on the 1/2" side or 1/4" in from each end. Lay a straight pin along this center line and fold the piece of brass over the pin. do this for each piece of brass, 2 pins, 2 pieces of brass. You now have 2 folded pieces of brass with a straight pin held at the fold.

Use any tool (blade of a screw driver) to firmly press the brass down for the length of the fold so the pin is secured. Now pull the pin out of each piece of folded brass. This leaves you with 2 pieces of folded over brass measuring 1/4" on a side.

Take the two embryo hinges (;-)) and place them back to back so the barrels are facing in opposite directions. Like two number 9's back to back.

With the needle nosed pliers or any holding/clamping device without any ridges on its jaws (hard to find) clamp the back to back pieces of brass just at the point where the barrel and the flat(plate) meet. Holding the 2 hinge pieces in this way, place two lines on each barrel so that the 2 barrels are divided into equal 3rds.

Then use the Dremel cutoff wheel to go completely thru the long barrel cutting it into three (3) equal sections. After this cut has be made you can release the clamping devise and now come the magic.

On one of the hinge halves just remove the middle section. The section that has cuts on either side. On the other hinge piece remove only the two outer most sections. NOW put the pieces back together by fitting the remaining sections into the areas that were occupied by the removed sections of the mating half of the hinge barrel. Slip the straight pin into the tubular axis of the meshed barrels and lo and behold a hinge.

I will admit it is a simple plate hinge but from this point on you can make any type of pinned hinge you desire.

DrBob...Delray Beach, FL