Computer controlled routing / cutting

mesp2k

Kelly, my mini router bit created enough shavings to filll a small plastic yogurt cup to make homemade wood putty with.

I hear you. And admittedly, since I do a fair amount of minis with the tools at hand, we do live under a layer of dust. My "real" router does seem to toss the dust everywhere (and obviously I don't have a dust-collection system)—but maybe I shouldn't have listed that as a likely deterrent!!

Still, it's the noise and the space, y'know. I just can't see setting up the bigger tools in this little place as practical.

Mike—you bet—I am pretty decent at workarounds like building up, knife carving, whatever I have to. Until the right tools come along, you work with what you can!!

• Like 1

Guest Sculptor

Build up a molding is what I did to make a sample baseboard like mine at home:

iK5gSIS.jpg

I'm going to use it in that little visible space in my roombox behind the door.

I'm still thinking there's a way to make this with one cutter, or one cutter and adding the quarter round on the bottom if nothing else- with a custom router bit.

On Dremel tools, I have never been a fan of Dremel moto-tools, they are ridiculously underpowered, the little grind stones and such don't last, and to get anything out of the tool you have to rev it up to high rpm to compensate for the lack of power.

I remember burning one out...

However, there may be an alternative which if it can be adapted would be far superior- a Porter-Cable trimmer router, they run about $159 or there abouts, they take a 1/4" shank.

The thing is, these have lots of power, we use them at work and they will easily put a deep 45 degree bevel on 3/4" thick plywood and not bog down, they run smooth as well.

They have a bottom plate, ours are a clear thick plastic held to the tool with 3 screws, I'm thinking thta can be unscrewed and the router screwed upside down to the underside of an adjustable router table and work very well.

SInce they DO have this bottom plate, it would seem they can be attached to a router table easily, but to get the bit height adjustability it has to be mounted to a router table that has that built-in because the router itself doesn't adjust up and down otherwise, though the bit could be adjusted up or down a little that's a pain and not real accurate to do it that way.

Here's the tool with it's accessories, we dont use the accessories but one of them does adjust up and down:

http://www.deltaportercable.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11109

We have the base on the right attached to the tool, the other two accessories it's shown with I've never needed to use, but we have 3 of these at work and they stand up to a lot of use unlike the Dremel moto-tool motor, they are built better and honestly, for $129 for this kit and case, I think the Dremel now comes pretty close to around $100, the Porter-Cable would be much better bang for the money.

97310_1_500X500.jpg

These are priced at Lowes for $129

If an adaptor or different collect could be used on this, then 1/8" shanks would work.

• Like 1

Guest Sculptor

Proxxon is the standard to which I'd aspire if our income weren't "fixed" (not that it was broken to begin with!)

Repair that income by winning the lottery, you only need SIX good numbers! :)

Actually, I'd bet all of the tools on that site can be found used on Ebay, there was a shaper up there that sold recently.

You would expect that in the course of ayear a certain percentage of people interested in modles will buy these tools, it's a given that an unknown certain percentage of those will drop out or otherwise decide this isn't for them, and they will typically try selling them on Ebay.

Like a lot of things scratch-built dollhouse construction is a niche market, to a smaller degree miniature furniture and room box production is a market that is smaller yet, sure, there's a large number of "model makers" but many build other types of models and trains, so the resale market for special tools is a lot different than the resale market for something a lot of people use and would buy.

This is why that little shaper on Ebay took being listed at least 3-4 times before it finally sold- it's too small for the average woodworking type or the average weekend home repair type or contractor type person.

That little shaper sold $275

Ended:
Sep 08, 2013
Price:
US $275.00
Shipping:
$8.00 Economy Shipping
Item location:
Brooklyn, New York

There's over 400 results for "proxxton" right now on ebay, various items, it would take a concerted effort to look through all of them, but there's some good tools there that with a little work one can pick up there barely used or even new in the box former xmas presents the recipient didn't want- for half price or less.

• Like 1

Actually, I'd bet all of the tools on that site can be found used on Ebay....

You would expect that in the course of ayear a certain percentage of people interested in modles will buy these tools, it's a given that an unknown certain percentage of those will drop out or otherwise decide this isn't for them, and they will typically try selling them on Ebay....

Like my kid with her zillion hobbies that seem like a good idea at the time and then fade. It happens to us grownups, too!

This is why I keep some ultra-favorite tools in saved searches on ebay. There are some tools, if they came up at an incredible bargain on ebay, that I'd be willing to cover my apartment in dust and annoy my neighbors for. :D

Actually I would only need something on the order of Proxxon if I were making items to sell. For my own amazement, amusement and confounding I'm perfectly happy with my current stuff.

Have any of you ever used a scratch stock? Here's a photo tutorial http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?97319-Scratch-Stock-Simple-Easy-Effective-(Photo-Tutorial)

Scratch Block! I've seen this once but didn't know or remember what it was called - thanks Pam :)

Googled / bookmarked

• Like 1

Upper kitchen cabinet door. Light Periwinkle wash. 1 7/8"h x 1"w. 5 parts.

There is a molding - slightly - carved as part of the panel & the rails/stiles are grooved to fit on to the panel - tongue & groove.

The panel is tapered. I need to make the molding wider & higher.

The handle is make out of solid core solder - with a black wash.

gallery_4762_6552_30838.jpg

I like the idea of making handles out of solder.

...it tweren't ez...well for me anyway. :prop:Hammering it makes it bit more rigid...

More stuff:

gallery_4762_6552_49891.jpg

The 3 pieces on the left we're done using b&w images. The window is from a previous carve, but cut out now.

The blue one is cut deeper & deeper as you go up. The natural wood one with geometric shapes is similar.

The one laying down is from a accent stone tile image converted to greyscale - carved, then painted & rubbed with a paper bag.

• Like 1

You have really cool ideas. Wish I could come and watch you create sometime. It would be fascinating to watch.

Thanks! But its kinda like watching the grass grow! :) Maybe a fast-forward video?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

...while building SWAPS items i broke a router/CNC bit - i found a new website & ordered some 'down cut bits'...i tried one of the bits today & WOW! nice clean cuts = no chipping, much less sanding! :ohyeah:

will be taking some photos tomorrow :)

• Like 1

...while building SWAPS items i broke a router/CNC bit - i found a new website & ordered some 'down cut bits'...i tried one of the bits today & WOW! nice clean cuts = no chipping, much less sanding! :ohyeah:

will be taking some photos tomorrow :)

Dang. I didn't know router bits came in up-cut and down-cut. Learn something new every day.

Did you find you had to go a lot slower with them?

New down-cut bits = less sanding! Very clean cut!

These are the cut outs for the flower cart.

Now I can start building again.

All that sanding & filing was bringing me down...

gallery_4762_6552_77091.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

1/24 scale, scratch-build. Floor 20' x 12', ceilings: 9', 7'. Scale size: 10" x 6" , ceilings: 4.5", 3.5".

I stopped designing & just did it - some slight adjustments needed. The openings need some sanding/trimming.

gallery_4762_6552_5449.png

The front has 45 deg bevel at the top. The front butts to the roof - should draw a line for proper alignment.

Windows & doors can be cut any size or shape + skylights, dormers & chimney openings, etc.

gallery_4762_6552_143534.png

The attic floor would butt against the roof.

The steps were rough cut from a 2 x 4 with a table saw.

Should have routed a rabbet on the front roof for easier assembly...

Above the window (right) you can just about see a dado for the attic - I probably should have cut the roof lower to hide the tiny attic...

gallery_4762_6552_175615.png