Computer controlled routing / cutting

mesp2k

...well I used up all the 1/8" Baltic birch plywood. Now I'm moving on to solid wood. The lowest priced & most attainable wood around here is poplar. I thought I would cut out shapes at 3/16" deep on the CNC machine then tape the cut side & slice a 3/16" piece off on the full size table saw. This eliminates the need for a carrier board & having to cut tabs.

Then its off to the thickness sander.

gallery_4762_6552_15750.jpg

I did 2 cut outs on the right - the rectangle creates a bump when it turns the corner, the 4 overlapping lines cut a nice clean rectangle.

I'm working out the patterns for the pantry cupboard above - keep your fingers crossed! :prop:

• Like 3

I'm working out the patterns for the pantry cupboard above - keep your fingers crossed! :prop:

Okay, all my fingers & toes are crossed here! I love that pantry cupboard! I need one of those! I don't know what I'll do with it yet, but I really really need one! :D You will be selling these, right?

Lisa

edited to add: I just figured out what I need one for - my Mrs. Claus Christmas Kitchen! See, I told you I really need one! :banana:

Yay!!! Unfinished wood is awesome, then everyone can finish them to suit their own tastes! I'll be watching the community trading section, but if for some reason I miss that post, please hit me over the head with a pm :D

• Like 1

Made enough $$ selling the furniture I made from the Baltic birch plywood.

Made enough to pay for the 50 sheets of plywood plus enough to buy some smaller router bits: 1/32" round nose, 1/16" straight. And a 1/2" to 1/4" reducer which will allow me to use the 2 new bits in the CNC machine & will allow me to use most of my other 1/4" bits. Also my late FIL gave me his router with 1/4" & 1/2" bits.

I'm currently only using 2 bits: 1/16" round nose & 1/8" cutting or straight bit.

With these smaller bits & all my other bits I should be able to make more intricate pieces.

If I want to use my Trio bits I'll need to get a 3/16" reducer & for the Dremel bits I'll need a 1/8" reducer.

(Can't use my pilot bits in the CNC machine tho.)

Just think'n out loud. :idea:

Can't wait for the bits to come in the mail !!

Also have an idea to create a lathe that fits inside the CNC machine - this would allow me to make duplicate turnings!! Lamps, legs, spindles, barrels, wheels, vases, balusters, bed posts, columns, etc. :laughbounce:

• Like 1

These are really fine. Love them!

What's the shank on the 1/32 bit, Mike? Say it's 1/8" and I can use it in my Dremel... (fingers crossed) I haven't had much luck with good router bits for it—Dremel's idea of small is not my idea of small!! —but clearly this bit you're using is a good one...

• Like 1

What's the shank on the 1/32 bit, Mike? Say it's 1/8" and I can use it in my Dremel... (fingers crossed) I haven't had much luck with good router bits for it—Dremel's idea of small is not my idea of small!! —but clearly this bit you're using is a good one...

Sorry Kelly they only sell/come as 1/4" shank bits.

I got 1/8" router bits from Widgit.

Holly, I looked up "Widgit" on the www but all the search results I get don't make any sense. Do you have a link?

I've got several router bits for the Dremel—their usual set and a few others I found on ebay—but I'm not impressed with anyone's idea of "small" so far. So I usually end up using engraving bits for mini routing, which just isn't that good—for the work or for the engraving bits!

I can't spell. The site has changed dramatically, but when I ordered all my little router bits I was still on the "old"/ original Greenleaf forum. It's Widget and here's the link: http://stores.ebay.com/widgetsupply/Router-Bits-/_i.html?_fsub=20701538

Aw, bummer, I've got all of those. I keep hoping some enterprising company will decide to grind us miniaturists something outside Dremel's limited vision. Thanks anyway for the info, Holly, I've bookmarked them for the future—looks like they have a good store!

Aw, bummer, I've got all of those. I keep hoping some enterprising company will decide to grind us miniaturists something outside Dremel's limited vision. Thanks anyway for the info, Holly, I've bookmarked them for the future—looks like they have a good store!

If you move to a palm router that handles 1/4" shanks then Amana sells a whole set of mini bits.

I have a few of these - what you can do is slice the moldings down to make smaller ones.

mm4000.jpg

It's the "move" part that's tricky... as in, I'd have to move. I own a nice router, but I'm in an apartment now so it sits in storage. The only tools I can use in here without bugging the neighbors have to be quiet-ish—and the only tools I can use in here without making it unlivable for the kid and myself have to be usable in the dining room, since my garage is the dining table, and not-too-big dustkickers. Hence I'm always looking for interesting alternatives.

My regular router just doesn't... cut it, ha ha... these days. :D

It's the "move" part that's tricky... as in, I'd have to move. I own a nice router, but I'm in an apartment now so it sits in storage. The only tools I can use in here without bugging the neighbors have to be quiet-ish—and the only tools I can use in here without making it unlivable for the kid and myself have to be usable in the dining room, since my garage is the dining table, and not-too-big dustkickers. Hence I'm always looking for interesting alternatives.

My regular router just doesn't... cut it, ha ha... these days. :D

Interesting Alternative?

gallery_4762_3951_40257.jpg

Kelly you can build up moldings in layers - this is really quiet...

With different pieces/sizes of stripwood, sand the edges round if needed, then stack & glue.

You can use small dowels or skewers in different sizes - mix & match to create all kinds of moldings! :)

• Like 1