Shadyside Pottery rehab

KathieB

Shadyside Pottery was my entry in the 2010 Spring Fling. It was never finished to my satisfaction, so now, three years later, I've been upgrading and adding to it. I've been posting progress in another thread but decided to give it a thread of its own.

The current focus is on the wood fired brick kiln. The original kiln was covered with brick print paper. I pulled that off and covered the base form with slabs of air dry clay that I'd marked with a brick pattern.

gallery_818_4177_104721.jpg

The added dimension made me happy.

gallery_818_4177_13603.jpg

Unfortunately, I'd not taken into consideration that air dry clay shrinks as it dries.

gallery_818_4177_3228.jpg

All is not lost. See more photos in my Gallery and blogspot blog.

• Like 1

I agree, the shrinking makes it a little uneven and totally realistic! I would LOVE to do and entirely brick house but I don't have the finger dexterity to work all that clay. I will just appreciate yours!!! :)

The kiln is nearly finished. It needs a coat of some kind of matte finish, as the satin finish polyacrylic I put on it to darken the original clay bricks is too shiny, even with a couple of washes of gray acrylic over it. The "concrete" base is part of a foam plastic egg carton. It will be buried in the grass when it is installed, not sitting on top as it is in the photo. The white patches are clay chinking (Spackle). During the firing process, the bricks expand unevenly. After each firing, the surface must be checks for new cracks. In this case, the air dry clay put them in for me.

gallery_818_4177_31148.jpg

gallery_818_4177_115867.jpg

• Like 1

It's thinking time at the pot shop. The shine on the kiln needs to be dulled. The landscaping is giving me fits. I'm going to love it, but I'm not having much luck figuring out how to accomplish the look I'm going for. Suggestions welcome! More photos in my Greenleaf gallery and even more in my blog.

gallery_818_4177_79404.jpg

• Like 1

Try rubbing a sample with a bit of acetone or isopropyl alcohol to see if it'll remove the shine without removing paint or clay? Or a light dusting with grated chalk & wipe as much of it off as you can?

• 2 weeks later...

The pot shop is 95% finished! It's nearly 4 years in the making. I thought it was finally done until I looked at the photos. Isn't that always the way? More pictures in my Greenleaf Gallery and even more photos and information in my blogspot blog.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_4177/gallery_818_4177_114094.jpg

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_4177/gallery_818_4177_135130.jpg

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_4177/gallery_818_4177_63755.jpg

• Like 1

Looking great !!!

Are we ever truly "done" with any of our builds?

I just rearranged my RL living room and everyone is sighing again because they say I never stop.

Why should mini life be any different?

Kathie, I love it. Did you do the pottery? The whole thing is great!

Thanks, Casey. Most of the pottery is purchased. Manor House Miniatures had a lot of sales! I painted some of them with white gesso or gray acrylic to look like it is greenware or glazed and ready for the kiln. A few of the terracotta pieces in the studio are left over from one of Lloyd's ceramic classes. The peeking face bowl in the shop is artisan made.

Kathie,in the words of my 11 year old niece,who is sitting here beside me,"Oh,my gosh!" She loves this project,as do I! :banana: (She asked me to put in the dancing banana for you!) :D I am having a blast showing off everyone to her and she wants to build a dollhouse now. :) Thanx for helping inspire a youngster!